RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Why not transport your fully assembled aircraft to the field? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11116763-why-not-transport-your-fully-assembled-aircraft-field.html)

Dolphpb 06-17-2012 05:36 AM

RE: Why not transport your fully assembled aircraft to the field?

Has anyone tried to pull a plane trailer with a motorcycle? I ride my bike every day to work and I thought it would be nice to pull a trailer with the plane so I could go right to the field from work.  Funny stuff by the way, just not sure if some people put this stuff up just to stir the pot...Fun though!!!

tfarmer96 06-19-2012 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: alanc

will you colonists please take a chill pill,

From what I understand our friends in Europe do this all the time. I am always amazed at the size planes they fly considering the space constraints they deal with. I use to trasport my planes in the back of the truck on pvc racks aswell, but it got to where i had to find a better solution. This is all i could come up with.

1wolf 06-19-2012 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm all for it!

da Rock 06-20-2012 06:02 AM

ORIGINAL: 1wolf

I'm all for it!

Now that is a decent collection of bombers. You've also got the strongest mosquito netting I've ever seen.

It really does look like your trailers might be more than the average pickup truck can handle. ;)

Awesome collection for sure.........

Me410 06-20-2012 10:03 AM

I have transported my 60" and 70" warbirds assembled with the retracts up. The plane sits in a 2 x 4 cradle I built and the plane is held to the cradle with bungy cords. I do travel 60MPH for about 10 miles.I have never had a problem , but now I am thinking , just how much turbulence is there when the plane is low in the box.My new 2011 1/2 Ton Chev truck has a deeper box than my old chev.

The wieght of the cradle seems to secure the plane ok. But again, I don't know how strong the forces are on the floor of the box?

I know, I know, buy a canopy or box cover, and I think I will soon.

But my question is, how bad can the air flow be on the truck box floor?

Thanks
Tom

vertical grimmace 06-20-2012 12:09 PM

I do it all the time. I just throw my plane in the back of my pick up. I do have a camper shell on it though. Great investment. I can fit a 1/4 scale DR1 tripe in there.

Me410 06-20-2012 03:12 PM

Vertical:

By camper shell, do you mean canopy? I suspect that's what you mean.

I have a full fiberglass canopy from my old 1991 chev pick up, but it does not fit my new 2011 Chev.Both short boxes, but out by a couple of inches.
I don't like loading planes with a canopy anyway, too much crawling around.

But i think I have found just the thing. It's a soft folding tonnue cover that seals the top of the box, folds back in three parts. very light but strong, easy to take off, etc.
With the deep box of the new trucks most of my planes will sit below the rails.

See" Trifecta by Extang" or Torzatop or Tonno pro.

BTY Vertical, saw a pic of your Pica FW190 D with the DLE 20. looks great. I had one formany years with a OS914S.One of the best flying warbirds i have ever owned.

Tom

ForcesR 06-21-2012 06:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Me410

I have transported my 60" and 70" warbirds assembled with the retracts up. The plane sits in a 2 x 4 cradle I built and the plane is held to the cradle with bungy cords. I do travel 60MPH for about 10 miles.I have never had a problem , but now I am thinking , just how much turbulence is there when the plane is low in the box.My new 2011 1/2 Ton Chev truck has a deeper box than my old chev.

The wieght of the cradle seems to secure the plane ok. But again, I don't know how strong the forces are on the floor of the box?

I know, I know, buy a canopy or box cover, and I think I will soon.

But my question is, how bad can the air flow be on the truck box floor?

Thanks
Tom
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Me410, as long as you do not exceed 105kph, the cradle is secured safely in the truck box and the aircraft is safely attached to the cradle, then you will have no problems with transporting a fully assembled aircraft.</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p></o:p></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Keep your speed below 105kph; this will ensure you are well below the envelope where wind turbulence in the truck box will not introduce wing or horizontal stab flutter. Flutter is what causes catastrophic internal structural failure of the wing and or horizontal stab.</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p></o:p></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">If you drive at an excessive speed you will enter the envelope where excessive wind turbulence over the cab will drop down onto the wing. The wind turbulence will then travel rearward along the upper surface of the wing until it drops off at the rear of the wing and onto the truck bed floor; there it is redirected forward and upward on to the bottom surface of the wing. With the excessive wind turbulence acting on the upper and lower wing surfaces simultaneously, the wing is forced into a rapid forward and aft twisting motion, known as flutter. This flutter will be heard as a high pitch buzzing sound and will destroy the internal structural support of the wing in a matter of seconds.</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p></o:p></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">I have been transporting fully assembled aircraft in the back of my pickup to and from the flying field for well over a year with no problems. I never exceed 105kph (65mph), and the distance I travel each way to and from the flying field is 48km or 28 miles.</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p></o:p></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Just about any cargo can be safely transported; if you do your homework first, understand the do and don&rsquo;ts, and of course mitigate and accept the risks involved.</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p></o:p></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">This will be my final post on this issue. If I would have known what a hornet&rsquo;s nest I was stirring up, I would never have posted in the first place. Hopefully this thread will now just die and go away!</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p></o:p></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Roger</p>

carlbecker 06-21-2012 07:53 AM

Roger, I don't mind the hornet's nest stirred up. It is much better now that you have given specifics. I just will not do it. You might give someone an even better transport idea!

Me410 06-21-2012 09:00 AM

I agree, this is not a hornets nest, infact it's good info.
Ihave heard stories of planes flying out of trucks and off roof racks.
I plan on making improvements with my transportation setup as I think it's marginaland my planes are getting bigger and more expensive . And I think I have been alittle slack at times.

Cheers
Tom

417mack 06-22-2012 04:21 PM

If one is worried about parts flying off or servo damage why not cover the plane with a tarp or blanket removing the stresses of lift and turbulance.