RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Top Flite Giant Scale Spitfire ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11391611-top-flite-giant-scale-spitfire-arf.html)

Free Bird 06-24-2013 10:11 AM

RE: Top Flite Giant Scale Spitfire ARF

Capt, I like what you did there. One big question though, how did get he cowl over the exhaust tubes?

FB

Capt G 06-24-2013 11:21 AM

The cowl has to be worked on over the loose muffler. There are two holes in the side of the cowl that line up with the muffler bolts and allow them to be tightened after the cowl is in place. You can work Loctite onto the bolts from the bottom. Just have to get the servo switches and ignition mounted now.

Free Bird 06-24-2013 11:29 AM

Now you tell me! LOL! I didn't even think to attach the muffler after installing the cowl. My exhaust tubes extend just a tad below the cowl. I'm concerned the exhaust heat will deform the dummy scoop. I'll find out either Wednesday or Thursday.

FB

Capt G 06-24-2013 11:49 AM

Took me awhile to work it out. How did your balance turn out?

Free Bird 06-24-2013 01:24 PM

Haven't done that yet, it'll be done tomorrow night.

FB

ronht 06-24-2013 02:24 PM

Capt G,

Where did you find the vent cover that fits so well? Looks like a great idea.

Ron<br type="_moz" />

DUCATIKID 06-24-2013 02:43 PM

Having holes in the cowl to tighten the muffler is a good idea anyway, because it is very handy to be able to check the muffler bolts periodically for tightness. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

Capt G 06-24-2013 04:04 PM

Here ya go. http://www.thunderboltrc.com/index.p...roducts_id=899

ronht 06-25-2013 03:55 PM

Thanks for the link to the vents.

Not sure I like the idea of having to remove the muffler everytime I need to take the cowl off.

Any thoughts given to cutting the muffler pipes down a bit and using silicone extension tubing to extend them after the cowl is installed? I'm using high temp silicone tubing from McMaster Carr to extend the exhaust on the pipes on my Extra 300 and it works great.

Ron<br type="_moz" />

Capt G 06-25-2013 04:23 PM

Certainly another option. My friend who is using the DLE 55 RA has to use extensions on the stock muffler that comes with it.

Free Bird 06-26-2013 03:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A few pics....

Maiden is scheduled for tomorrow (weather permitting), still need to balance and setup the control throws.

FB

ronht 06-26-2013 03:20 AM

Looking great guys -  I'm just finishing up the wings today and am looking forward to reaching the point you're both at.<div>
</div><div>Let us know how your CG comes out - I'm looking forward to the maiden report. </div><div>
</div><div>Ron</div>

Lifer 06-26-2013 03:36 AM

Just a suggestion, but you might want to re-route your ignition cable so it doesn't touch the exhaust stack. Best of luck on your test flight, and thank you for sharing your build!

Capt G 06-26-2013 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the pics. Got my pilot from Lyle and like he says - he likes to provide more pilot than you need. I had to cut him off at the knees (Bader?). He was too tall to fit on the seat pedestal so I cut it off and reinforced the area with balsa. Fits ok now.

Free Bird 06-26-2013 09:48 AM

I didn't bother with the floor, can't really see anything anyways. The pilot really fills up the cockpit.

FB

DUCATIKID 06-26-2013 10:26 AM

I alsodid some 'plastic surgery' on my pilots knees to fit him in.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

Free Bird 06-26-2013 06:01 PM

Lifer: good catch on the ignition lead, its been rerouted.

Capt: I balanced the Spit tonight, it was a little nose heavy, but not the same experience that you had. I'm looking at maybe an ounce. I'm going to fly it like this for the first few flights. Hopefully the weather will cooperate tomorrow, looks like we're going to get heavy showers for he next few days.

FB

SWORDSN 06-27-2013 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Free Bird

A few pics....

Maiden is scheduled for tomorrow (weather permitting), still need to balance and setup the control throws.

FB
I used the same mufflers on my p40 and P47. They would not stay tight no matter what I did. Finally used the stock muffler on the P47 and a Slimline pitts on the P40. Good luck,looking forward to your maiden.

ronht 06-27-2013 07:55 PM

Re: the muffler coming loose -

Clean the bolts in alcohol and let them dry, then use blue lock-tite and Permatex RTV instead of a gasket and you should no longer have any problems.

Ron

DUCATIKID 06-27-2013 10:52 PM

Yes i would second that, not using the gasket but rather heat resistent sealant instead is a large part of the answer to keeping the muffler tighthttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

pacoflyer 06-28-2013 04:57 AM

FreeBird,
Do you have pic of your plug wire relocation.
I've got the same issue with a P-47/DLE55 combo I'm working on.

Thanks,
paul

Lifer 06-28-2013 05:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not trying to hijack the thread......

Capt G 06-28-2013 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I routed the ign lead on the side opposite the muffler and across the top. It is zip tied to the standoff to keep it clear of contact. The "office" is ready for the pilot who is farmed out for painting.

SWORDSN 06-28-2013 11:28 AM

ORIGINAL: ronht

Re: the muffler coming loose -

Clean the bolts in alcohol and let them dry, then use blue lock-tite and Permatex RTV instead of a gasket and you should no longer have any problems.

Ron
Tried all that and more,nothing worked for me except changing mufflers.

pacoflyer 06-28-2013 02:46 PM

I'll tell you what has worked for me...
As mentioned before clean everything up as best you can...alcohol,acetone whatever.
Then I wrap the muffler bolts with teflon tape, re install them not totally snugged down and then run the engine. After everything is warmed up, I shut down the engine and finnish tightening the muffler bolts.
I've never had one come loose doing it this way....hope it works for you.

paul