RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   FiberClassics P-51 now Comp-ARF P-51 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/2009965-fiberclassics-p-51-now-comp-arf-p-51-a.html)

peterduplessis 10-08-2010 02:10 AM

RE: FiberClassics P-51 now Comp-ARF P-51

Gareth
The 3W 85 will be fine ... we have to contend with altitudes above 5000' with density altitudes above 8000' on hot summers days, so thats why I chose the inline twin. I also estimated that you will have to place a fair bit of weight upfront to get the required C of G.
In order to save some money, you will have to order directly from overseas ... our hobby shops will kill you!!!
I'm hoping to maiden mine in December .... its taken two years ... not acceptable , I know.
I'll be at Gariep ... Oudshoorn is just too far!
Good Luck
Peter

Canuck1 10-08-2010 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finishing up the windscreen install.
Removed the clamps, masked the area needed for filling. Applied bondo, set up pretty quick. Removed the tape, gave it a quick sand, and will throw a coat of primer on it. After the primer has set, I will wet sand and fill as needed.

Craig

Canuck1 10-08-2010 11:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had some free time so I decided to put carbon fibre on the bottom of the engine compartment. Was not happy with the small joining glass cloth, and this will beef up the front end.
I put some carbon on the removeable cowl. Will add some more carbon fibre verticly in thea area at a later date.

Craig

Canuck1 10-10-2010 12:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Started work on the canopy rails and the ball links and sliders. Five hours spent tinkering away. Looks like there is many more hours of fun ahead.

Craig

Canuck1 10-11-2010 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been thinking about the crossbrace for the canopy for the past couple of days. I made a template of balsa to get the distance correct with the canopy taped to the fuselage. At this point I have not attached the sliders to the rails. I think I will do the cross piece first, attach it to the canopy, with screws, so is removable. Then I will attach the sliders with the brace in place. This should reduce any binding that may occur, when the sliders are attached.

Craig

Canuck1 10-11-2010 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made my first brace.
Used balsa, and the height is 1 inch, which I think is to much. I will make the next one 3/4 if an inch, and keep working my way down in size until it looks right.

Craig

Canuck1 10-11-2010 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The 3/4 in looks a lot better. I will clean it up, the taper, etc, put in the holes, and then have another look.

Craig

Canuck1 10-11-2010 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Put the holes in the brace, turned out pretty good. It is just a balsa piece, so I will need to make up a piece of ply and do the same thing. My plan is to screw it into the main frame, so it will be removable, for masking and painting.

Craig

Canuck1 10-11-2010 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished the construction of the canopy brace. It has plywood on the ends so i can screw it from the outside to secure it to the canopy.
I will lightly glass and prime, add the top fairing piece and it should look pretty good.

Craig

Canuck1 10-12-2010 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have glassed both sides of the canopy brace. I have glued on the top and bottom rail and sanded the curve into it to simulate the frame being pressed. I just need to glass the top and bottom. After that is complete I will prime and smooth the surface. When it is done, it will look like metal.

Craig

Canuck1 10-12-2010 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I secured the brace to the canopy with 8 button heads screws. WOW,,,,,,it sure made the canopy solid. Made a huge difference. Now that's done, I can finish the glass work on the brace, and let it cure over night. Then prime, and fill any imperfections. It needs to be perfect as it is in perfect view when the canopy is closed.

Craig

mimoore67 10-13-2010 06:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Canuck1

Started work on the canopy rails and the ball links and sliders. Five hours spent tinkering away. Looks like there is many more hours of fun ahead.

Craig
To say the least! I'm attempting to put a sliding canopy on one of my 60 size arf war birds! What was I thinking! However the cool factor and the looks are well worth the effort! Plus, I have learned a lot on how not to do things the next time. The biggest thing I've learned is all the geometry that goes into a sliding canopy, especially if there's any taper in the fuselage as the canopy moves fore or aft! There are times I'd like to just set the whole thing on fire. But, I walk away and re-engineer in my head and it always work better the the 5th time around!

Keep up the good work and I'm enjoying looking at your pictures and seeing how you engineered your canopy!

Erwin DB 10-13-2010 02:28 PM

Hello Craig,

Very nice work you did until now...

Each day we are checking this build thread to seetheprogress on the Mustang, we must say that it it gives us a certain motivation to continue building ours...
On a later stage, we will certainly post some pictures.

Keep up the good work.

Regards from Belgium

Erwin & Jonas

Canuck1 10-13-2010 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks fella's. Just plugging along, one piece at a time.
Sanded off the first coat of primer, and have added some filler. When this dries, I will sand, and put on another coat of primer.

Craig

Canuck1 10-16-2010 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished the cross brace the other day. Put a quick coat of zinc chromate paint on it and installed it into the canopy. I have been delaying the roller attachment on the canopy until this is done. Have no excusses now so I will proceed witht he roller install shortly.
I also glued in the control tabs on the elevator, and plan on doing the linkages soon.

Craig.

Canuck1 10-16-2010 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Completed the elevator linkages. Used a 440 ball link at the servo control arm and a sullivan clevis at the elevator. Has a nice snug fit. Also primmed the horizontal stab including the elevators, sanded it back, to smooth out the surface.
Just need to glue in the elevators and that portion is done.

Craig

peterduplessis 10-17-2010 11:36 AM

Hi Guys

I did a quick search on RCU looking for C of G info on C-Arf P51's flying. Although I have a fairly good idea where it should be, could any of you experienced P51 builder/pilots share your setup's ??

Mine is almost ready to maiden .... ground testing the engine and systems, but I'm worried about weight with the 3W-110 in the nose etc. She's a little over 20kg's (45 lbs!)

Thanks

Peter

chisep51 10-17-2010 12:47 PM

Peter,

I balanced my bird (middle page #46 this thread) at the front edge of the wing tube. It weighed 48lbs with a 3W inline 80. Needed 2 clicks of R. Aile to trim in flight. I made a balancing tool to distribute the weight evenly on the wing during balancing. If interested, I will post pics. By the way, don't forget to balance laterally.
Good luck on maiden.

Charlie

peterduplessis 10-17-2010 03:18 PM

Thanks Charlie

I am about 1/2 an inch in front of your position ... I've just used two car jacks and strapped a warped piece of broom handle to balance! .. Primitive I know !!!
I'm glad to hear I'm not heavier than yours yet. Although I still have to do my final paint work ( and cockpit, sliding canopy, ... and pilot). I think I will maiden with just the invasion stripes for visibility, and see how it goes.
Thanks for the tip on lateral balancing .. hadn't thought that far yet, but the small ailerons had me wondering>>Please post or email me your balance gear .. my email is [email protected]
Looking at your photos on page # 46 You really did a great job on yours ... Is she still flying?? How did you achieve that great metalic finish??
Thanks Again
Peter

Canuck1 10-18-2010 11:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great to see more posts on here, lets have more pics too!!!
Made the canopy plywood piece, that I will use to secure my sliders too. Glued it in with Hysol.

Craig

BobH 10-19-2010 10:14 AM

Aw man, you are doing such a nice job on the stang and now you've put those servos in the stab[&o]. I know its convient etc.. my Sis-T FW instructions said to do the same thing but.. I couldn't lol. It's just too umm 3D ish.

Erwin DB 10-19-2010 11:32 AM

Hello Bob,

Did you make on your FW from Sist a central hinge to control the elevator ? If so, can you upload some pictures ?

I'm also thinking to make a central hinge on my C-arf Mustang...

Any ideas are welcome

Kind regards,

Erwin<br type="_moz" />

Hello82 10-19-2010 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Erwin

I made a central rod for my elevator, plus separate servos for my rudder and tail wheel for more control. A bit of work....

Also put in hidden linkage for ailerons using the tube/lever fulcrum system.

43 pounds with 3w85 flies great, with just a hair of nose weight. Should have replaced back metal stab tube with a lighter carbon fiber one, then probably would have balanced perfectly.....heavy Glennis tail wheel too!

Inflight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-5AWJiNu6M

Erwin DB 10-20-2010 09:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Very nice Mustang!!!
One question,What ''wash'' or something else did you use to make the mustang so 'dirty' and realistic?
because i will use the color sheme of the 'double trouble two'

Erwin

<br type="_moz" />

Hello82 10-20-2010 01:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mainly cheap acrylics from an art store. Black, Burnt Sienna, and gray drizzle..used in various places really thinned out with water and put on with a rag...then most of it wiped off with another rag. Creeps into all the rivets and panel lines and leaves some streaks. Also some steel wooling with 000. All in direction of airflow or as sits vertically on it' s wheels.

Some places have paint powdered pigments, then sealed with clear...usually a whole panel, which is masked off. Helps create different panels...also wooling each panel masked off, at 45 degree various angles....I tend to over do it though....:)