RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   RT Aerospace 1/5th T-34C Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/6337288-rt-aerospace-1-5th-t-34c-build.html)

TLH101 09-06-2007 10:30 PM

RT Aerospace 1/5th T-34C Build

1 Attachment(s)
Finally finished my P-39 and got the shop reasonable clean, so it's time to start a new project.:D I won't really dive in until after I return from Bomber Field next weekend.
Got a Ramon Torres Aerospace T-34C kit, with the "honeycomb" glass fuse. This fuse is really neat with the honeycomb. Very light, but super stiff, even without the bulkheads installed. Such that they are, the 2 rear bulkheads are 3/8" blue foam, and there is a 1/8 thick plywood ring that fits in front of the wing saddle. More info can be found here: http://rtaerospace.com/Beechcraft_T34A_kit.htm
The first pic shows all the cut wood parts, next are some pics of the fuse & cowl, with some inside shots to show the honeycomb. The next is a shot of all the plastic parts. They are molded in a really rigid and thick ABS plastic that is pretty lite. Parts include a scale spinner, tail cone, exhaust stacks, wing tips, stab & fin fairings, inner & outer main gear doors, and wingtip lite lenses. Plans are 2 pages that are really well drawn.

Ram-bro 09-06-2007 11:07 PM

RE: RT Aerospace T-34C Build

Heck man, I aint got over your last build yet......:D. I think I shall dub thee....."Steamer", Old Fart in training doesnt do you justice. I can t wait to see how you do this one.

TLH101 09-07-2007 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Worked on spars today. Calls for 1/2 x 3/8 hardwood for the wing spars, top and bottom, that tap[er to about 5/16 at the tip rib. That's a lot of weight, and I don't have any hard wood stock in those dimensions. So....... I am making my own laminates. I am using 2 pieces of 1/4 x 3/8 balsa. I am laminating them together, with a strip of carbon fibre in between. Makes for really stiff spars, that are 1/2 the weight of the hardwood.
And easier to taper.:D

TLH101 09-22-2007 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't plan to do a complete step by step build on this, but since I have never used a wing jig, and, I am sure a lot others have not, I will show this portion step by step. I am using an original Adjusto-jig. My kit was designed to be built on this jig so all the holes were already drilled.
First pics show the mods I had to do to the retract mount doublers for the CJM retracts. I'm not a fan of CJM, but I've got them, so in they go.
Next pic shows the the jig set-up with correct spacing for the ribs.
Now all the ribs are installed on the rod ans placed on the jig. You need to make sure all are on the correct side of the red rod mounts. The rods are held down with rubber bands.
Next, straight pieces of stock are clamped to the trailing edge of the ribs, to create a perfectly straight T/E, and the leading edge is glued on. I will be doing most all of the wing build with Aliphatic Resin glue, (no odor and easier to chew the residue off the fingers).
The spars are added, and glued in place.

TLH101 09-22-2007 12:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The first 2 pics show the left wing after all the shear webs have been installed, and the spars have been planed down to the correct taper. It is now complete enough to remove it from the jij.
I will put it back on when I begin to sheet it, and complete most of the sheeting on the jig.
Next are some pics of the retract mount, and pics of the plans showing the original retract set-up. You can see why I had to make the changes noted above.

TLH101 09-22-2007 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the engine cooling duct. I was messing with it so I thought I would post them. The duct is a fiberglass piece the ducts the cooling air from a hole in the firewall behind the cylinder, to a scale opening on the fuse side. I have not cut any holes in the firewall yet and the duct is just set in place to "see how it fits".
The last 2 pics are of the piece cut from the fuse outlet opening. Really gives a good idea of how the honeycomb looks.

TLH101 09-22-2007 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what the outlet looks like on the full scale.

TLH101 09-28-2007 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, here's some shots of the method I am using to simulate the corrugations on the control surfaces. The pieces will be the rear sheeting for the top of each wing panel. The same will be done with bottom sheeting for each wing half. Also the stab, elevator, fin & rudder. This idea came from a build thread for a T/F T-34 on RCSB.
I reshaped the grinding stone tip so it has a bit more radius, to keep the correct shape. All the rulers and yard sticks are held at at the correct spacing to keep all the ends lined up.

dtw757 10-11-2007 12:44 AM

Any More going on with this project....Boston Legal, the Golf Channel and your build are the only things worth watching these days?

PS T-34C "Stud" 1978-early '79 (when they were all crashing due to spins and lack of an EPL) VT-2
T-34C Instructor VT-10 1983-1985 (Teaching the NFO's (self loading baggage) to navigate)

TLH101 10-11-2007 11:16 AM

RE: RT Aerospace 1/5th T-34C Build

Not sure I am going to continue the build thread. Based on the number "views" the thread has, there just does not seem to be very much interest in this build.
I have not done very much since the last installment, as I have been getting my "weekend" flyers up to snuff. Our best flying season is just now starting.
If there is some real interest in it, I will continue the thread, when I put it back on the bench, in the next couple of weeks.

mimoore67 10-11-2007 11:33 AM

Oh, don't do that! At least post pictures! I'm bashing a little H-9 T-34 by adding flaps and hopefully scaling out the retracts! Still looking for a 105 degree good mechanical nose gear! I bought some good 85 degree mains! I love reading about different Military models!

Chad Veich 10-11-2007 12:10 PM

I'm watching Terry, keep at it.

dtw757 10-11-2007 06:33 PM

Well, I hope that you continue. Not a complaint or anything but it might be an issue (re: not a lot of hits) because the posts by yourself are spread out. Having said that, I, like most "reasonable" people
realize that these scale projects don't go together overnight and that we all have other lives to live. I appreciate your work, especially as I have been in posession of a Torres T-34C for near 6 years and
have only been able to work on it a little bit at a time due to my job. Therefore...I hope you continue to post your progress on this forum. Ifnothing else a simple explanation of photos maybe.

Thanks...Mike

TLH101 10-25-2007 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, seems there are some who have an interest, so I will continue. I have not done much work lately, but I have sheeted the tops of the wings. Also sheeted the bottom rear areas, so i can start on the control surfaces. I will cutting the ailerons and flaps loose. I am going use scale hinging on both. The plans call for using plywood, to make the aileron hinges, and aluminium to make the tracks for the fowler style flaps. I picked up some .060", FR-4 board, that is similar to G-10 and plan to use that. It super stiff, but seems to cut and work really clean. The last pic shows the FR-4.
More to come:D

TLH101 10-25-2007 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some shots of the plans and patterns, that show the small hinge parts I will need to make, and how they will be installed.

mimoore67 10-25-2007 06:45 PM

Enjoying reading your thread! I'm too am a fan of the T-34, however I'm just hacking around on a little H9 T-34, that I am currently "ARF Bashing" on the work bench! Just finishing up the flaps, which I'm still working out the engineering details on how exactly to extend and retract! I'm also using your thread, to get ideas on how build and engineer things! So keep up the posts and Pictures!

Michael

dtw757 10-28-2007 03:05 AM

Thanks for continuing...appreciate it

NickC5FE 10-28-2007 08:40 AM

What is the price of the "Full" kit. The RT website is a littleconfusing at pointing out this option. All i see is the Semi price. Nick

TLH101 10-28-2007 12:56 PM

There is no "full" kit. All he produces are the cut wood parts, glass fuse, and accesories.

TLH101 10-28-2007 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here the start of the flap and aileron builds.

TLH101 10-31-2007 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the aileron build up and hinging.

TLH101 11-01-2007 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Decided, that since all the other controls will be hidden on this model, the ailerons should be too. So here's how it's done, per the instruction manual. Hardest part was making that pully with out a lathe.:eek:
I also included a scan of the instructions which help make the pics easier to understand.

jpflyer 11-01-2007 08:41 PM

Looks good Terry. I guess we will see it someday in the skies over Robstown! I known we've seen many at home, lol (inside joke, we both live near NAS Corpus Christi).
jpflyer

mobyal 11-01-2007 09:19 PM

great and interesting work....

TLH101 11-14-2007 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started on the flaps. These pics show the mounting and the sliders. Need to pick up some tubing, and brass stock, before I can build the to torque rod actuators. Will post pics of those when I get them going.