RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9452979-knowledge-quiz-warbird-wiz.html)

Top_Gunn 08-06-2014 08:25 AM

Pierre Clostermann?

Ernie P. 08-06-2014 10:40 AM

No, not Clostermann. But to reward your efforts, here's an extra clue. Thanks; Enrie P.

Question: What warbird ace do I describe?

Clues:

(1) He was certainly the first in at least one category; and at the top of the lists in another.

(2) He destroyed more enemy aircraft on the ground, than in the air.

(3) He fought in two wars.

Ernie P. 08-06-2014 05:32 PM

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(1) He was certainly the first in at least one category; and at the top of the lists in another.

(4) He scored in both wars.

Ernie P. 08-07-2014 01:35 AM

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(5) All of his victories were scored in the same type of aircraft.

Ernie P. 08-07-2014 11:37 AM

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(6) He was the top scoring ace, of all warring nations involved, in his theater of operations.

Ernie P. 08-07-2014 06:04 PM

Clues:

(6) He was the top scoring ace, of all warring nations involved, in his theater of operations.

(7) On one mission, his wingman was forced down and crashed, by bad weather.

Ernie P. 08-08-2014 12:27 AM

Clues:

(8) He died while searching for his wingman, during the same storm.

Ernie P. 08-08-2014 08:33 AM

Clues:

(9) He crashed, presumably due to reduced visibility, while searching for his wingman.

Ernie P. 08-08-2014 01:07 PM

Clues:

(9) He crashed, presumably due to reduced visibility, while searching for his wingman.

(10) He scored his last victory the same day he died.

Ernie P. 08-09-2014 03:01 AM

Clues:

(11) He flew a biplane.

Ernie P. 08-09-2014 09:31 AM

Clues:

(11) He flew a biplane.

(12) A biplane noted for being very maneuverable.

Ernie P. 08-10-2014 04:43 AM

Clues:

(11) He flew a biplane.

(13) His first attempt to enter military service as an aviator failed, because he was deemed to be physically unfit.

Ernie P. 08-10-2014 03:21 PM

Clues:

(11) He flew a biplane.

(13) His first attempt to enter military service as an aviator failed, because he was deemed to be physically unfit.

(14) He gained a civilian pilots license, prior to being certified as a military pilot.

Redback 08-10-2014 06:41 PM

I'm liking Spanish Civil war and WW2 as the two wars. Biplanes could be Polikarpv I15 or possibly Henschell 123, both of which were used in ground attack roles.

Not come up with a pilot's name though!!

Terry

Ernie P. 08-11-2014 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Redback (Post 11858138)
I'm liking Spanish Civil war and WW2 as the two wars. Biplanes could be Polikarpv I15 or possibly Henschell 123, both of which were used in ground attack roles.

Not come up with a pilot's name though!!

Terry

Keep digging, Terry. Here's a morning clue to aid your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(11) He flew a biplane.

(14) He gained a civilian pilots license, prior to being certified as a military pilot.

(14) His brother was a highly decorated member of the naval service.

Ernie P. 08-11-2014 12:02 PM

Clues:

(11) He flew a biplane.

(15) His victories included both bombers and fighters.

SimonCraig1 08-11-2014 03:18 PM

Given the strong hint by Terry, I'm guessing Mario Visintini the leading bi-plane ace of WW2?

Simon

Ernie P. 08-11-2014 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by SimonCraig1 (Post 11858694)
Given the strong hint by Terry, I'm guessing Mario Visintini the leading bi-plane ace of WW2?

Simon

Right on the money, Simon. Mario Visintini it is, and you're up. Visintini was the top scoring biplane ace of WWII, and the top scoring ace in the eastern African theater of operations. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(11) He flew a biplane.

(16) He shot down at least two Russina fighters.

Answer: Mario Visintini

Mario Visintini, MOVM, (26 April 1913 – 11 February 1941), was the first Regia Aeronautica ace of World War II. In recognition of his flying skill and meticulousness, Visintini was nicknamed cacciatore scientifico (scientific fighter pilot).

Visintini was the top scoring pilot of all belligerent air forces in Eastern Africa (Africa Orientale) and the top biplane fighter ace of World War II; he achieved all his air victories flying the Fiat CR.42 biplane. He is credited with 16 confirmed air victories and five probables, plus a victory achieved during the Spanish Civil War with the Aviazione Legionaria.

The day of his last victory was the day of Visintini's death. On 11 February 1941, Visintini claimed a Hurricane, over Keren, probably an aircraft from No. 1 SAAF Squadron that had 11 fighter aircraft on patrol, that day. Two of the British aircraft clashed with Fiat CR.42s, then the Hurricane of Lieutenant S. de K. Viljoen was forced to land. Visintini landed on his airfield, refuelled and took off again, searching for his faithful wingman, Luigi Baron (an ace with a score of 12 kills, at the end of the war), who had been forced down by a storm. Because of the same inclement weather conditions, however, Visintini's Fiat crashed into Mount Bizen, near Nefasit, about 24 kilometers from Asmara, Eritrea.

According to some historians, Visintini shot down 20 enemy aircraft. During 50 air battles, he downed at least five Blenheim bombers, a greater number of Wellesley bombers, almost certainly three Gladiator fighters and a Hawker Hurricane, plus 32 enemy aircraft (alone and shared with others pilots) destroyed on the airfields of Gedaref, Goz Regeb (Sudan) and Agordat.

Mario Visentin (later changed to "Visintini") was born in Parenzo d'Istria on 26 April 1913. His father was an agricultural expert. Visintini tried to enter the Regia Accademia Aeronautica but did not pass the medical examination because he was declared "too weak and susceptible". So he enrolled in the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences at "Università di Bologna". Subsequently, in spring 1936, he entered the air training centre at Caproni di Taliedo. Transferred to Lecce, Visintini followed the usual training program. He gained his civilian pilot's licence on 30 May 1936. and his military wings in September 1936. Two months later, he qualified as a military pilot at Grottaglie, Taranto, on Breda Ba.25s and Fiat CR.20s. With the rank of Sottotenente, he was posted to the 91ª Squadriglia, 10°Gruppo, 4° Stormo, at Gorizia, in northeast Italy, where he trained on Fiat CR.30s and Fiat CR.32s.

In November 1937, Visintini volunteered for service in the Spanish Civil War. He was attached to 25ªSquadriglia of XVI° Gruppo "La Cucaracha", then equipped with Fiat CR.32s. In Spain, Visintini distinguished himself as an outstanding pilot, claiming a number of kills. At least two of his victories are confirmed. On 24 August 1938 he shot down a a Russian Polikarpov I-15 fighter aircraft, while, on 5 September 1938, he claimed a Polikarpov I-16 of 1a Escuadrilla Chatos, over Venta de los Campesinos. In October 1938, after 330 hours of combat, Visintini returned to Italy, rejoining 4° Stormo. For his service in Spain, he was decorated with a first Medaglia d'Argento al valor militare. In September 1939, he was promoted in Servizio Permanente Effettivo.

On 12 December 1940, five CR.42s of 412ª Squadriglia and a Savoia-Marchetti S.M.79 attacked the Goz Regeb airstrip, the home base of No. 237 Squadron B Flight. They destroyed four Hawker Hardys (K4053, K4308, K4055 and K4307) parked on the ground, but the Sudan Defence Force defending the base hit the Fiat of Capitano Antonio Raffi, who was forced to land to the east of Aroma. Visintini landed and helped Raffi aboard. With both pilots tightly packed into the cockpit, Visintini flew back to the Barentu base.

Ernie P. 08-11-2014 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by SimonCraig1 (Post 11858694)

Simon

Right on the money, Simon. Mario Visintini it is, and you're up. Visintini was the top scoring biplane ace of WWII, and the top scoring ace in the eastern African theater of operations. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(11) He flew a biplane.

(16) He shot down at least two Russina fighters.

Answer: Mario Visintini

Mario Visintini, MOVM, (26 April 1913 – 11 February 1941), was the first Regia Aeronautica ace of World War II. In recognition of his flying skill and meticulousness, Visintini was nicknamed cacciatore scientifico (scientific fighter pilot).

Visintini was the top scoring pilot of all belligerent air forces in Eastern Africa (Africa Orientale) and the top biplane fighter ace of World War II; he achieved all his air victories flying the Fiat CR.42 biplane. He is credited with 16 confirmed air victories and five probables, plus a victory achieved during the Spanish Civil War with the Aviazione Legionaria.

The day of his last victory was the day of Visintini's death. On 11 February 1941, Visintini claimed a Hurricane, over Keren, probably an aircraft from No. 1 SAAF Squadron that had 11 fighter aircraft on patrol, that day. Two of the British aircraft clashed with Fiat CR.42s, then the Hurricane of Lieutenant S. de K. Viljoen was forced to land. Visintini landed on his airfield, refuelled and took off again, searching for his faithful wingman, Luigi Baron (an ace with a score of 12 kills, at the end of the war), who had been forced down by a storm. Because of the same inclement weather conditions, however, Visintini's Fiat crashed into Mount Bizen, near Nefasit, about 24 kilometers from Asmara, Eritrea.

According to some historians, Visintini shot down 20 enemy aircraft. During 50 air battles, he downed at least five Blenheim bombers, a greater number of Wellesley bombers, almost certainly three Gladiator fighters and a Hawker Hurricane, plus 32 enemy aircraft (alone and shared with others pilots) destroyed on the airfields of Gedaref, Goz Regeb (Sudan) and Agordat.

Mario Visentin (later changed to "Visintini") was born in Parenzo d'Istria on 26 April 1913. His father was an agricultural expert. Visintini tried to enter the Regia Accademia Aeronautica but did not pass the medical examination because he was declared "too weak and susceptible". So he enrolled in the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences at "Università di Bologna". Subsequently, in spring 1936, he entered the air training centre at Caproni di Taliedo. Transferred to Lecce, Visintini followed the usual training program. He gained his civilian pilot's licence on 30 May 1936. and his military wings in September 1936. Two months later, he qualified as a military pilot at Grottaglie, Taranto, on Breda Ba.25s and Fiat CR.20s. With the rank of Sottotenente, he was posted to the 91ª Squadriglia, 10°Gruppo, 4° Stormo, at Gorizia, in northeast Italy, where he trained on Fiat CR.30s and Fiat CR.32s.

In November 1937, Visintini volunteered for service in the Spanish Civil War. He was attached to 25ªSquadriglia of XVI° Gruppo "La Cucaracha", then equipped with Fiat CR.32s. In Spain, Visintini distinguished himself as an outstanding pilot, claiming a number of kills. At least two of his victories are confirmed. On 24 August 1938 he shot down a a Russian Polikarpov I-15 fighter aircraft, while, on 5 September 1938, he claimed a Polikarpov I-16 of 1a Escuadrilla Chatos, over Venta de los Campesinos. In October 1938, after 330 hours of combat, Visintini returned to Italy, rejoining 4° Stormo. For his service in Spain, he was decorated with a first Medaglia d'Argento al valor militare. In September 1939, he was promoted in Servizio Permanente Effettivo.

On 12 December 1940, five CR.42s of 412ª Squadriglia and a Savoia-Marchetti S.M.79 attacked the Goz Regeb airstrip, the home base of No. 237 Squadron B Flight. They destroyed four Hawker Hardys (K4053, K4308, K4055 and K4307) parked on the ground, but the Sudan Defence Force defending the base hit the Fiat of Capitano Antonio Raffi, who was forced to land to the east of Aroma. Visintini landed and helped Raffi aboard. With both pilots tightly packed into the cockpit, Visintini flew back to the Barentu base.

SimonCraig1 08-12-2014 07:48 AM

Thanks Ernie, I'm having a problem coming up with a good question so if anyone else wants to jump in help yourselves, otherwise it will probably be tomorrow before I can begin.

Ernie P. 08-12-2014 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by SimonCraig1 (Post 11859102)
Thanks Ernie, I'm having a problem coming up with a good question so if anyone else wants to jump in help yourselves, otherwise it will probably be tomorrow before I can begin.

The floor is open, although SimonCraig1 still owes us a question if no one posts a question by tomorrow. Thanks; Ernie P.

Ernie P. 08-13-2014 05:24 AM

All;

If no one posts a question by this evening, I will do so. But I'd prefer SimonCraig1 or some one else take the lead. Thanks; Ernie P.

SimonCraig1 08-13-2014 06:57 AM

I have a question.... rather obscure but hopefully fun and that's what this forum is all about!!!

I'm looking for a pilot:

1. He was a bomber pilot but was better known as an aircraft designer.
2. He was rejected from flying service initially, for poor eyesight, but obtained his private pilots license and 'bluffed' his way though another aircrew medical.

SimonCraig1 08-13-2014 01:39 PM

I'm looking for a pilot:

2. He was rejected from flying service initially, for poor eyesight, but obtained his private pilots license and 'bluffed' his way though another aircrew medical.
3. The first aircraft he flew operationally had STOL capability, the aircraft he designed also had this feature.

SimonCraig1 08-14-2014 06:55 AM

I'm looking for a pilot:

3. The first aircraft he flew operationally had STOL capability, the aircraft he designed also had this feature.
4. He then moved onto fly twin engine bombers. Though he survived many missions he gained something of a reputation for being accident prone including crashing after being struck by lightning