Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

new backdraft 3.5 problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:41 AM
MadMax49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new backdraft 3.5 problems

Well first off, hi to all! I just got the backdraft broke in and been having problems starting it after it runs awhile! Also it seems to be running in only one speed, is there any way to adjust this 2 speed timing on this buggy, because its different from the video on the other 2 speeds? Man I have blisters on my fingers from trying to start it after it heats up! Thanks any help will be helpful

Old 06-22-2012, 11:38 AM
NewRageRC
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: new backdraft 3.5 problems

Make sure you aren't running a fuel with too much oil. We tried a 18% mix and I couldnt get my 3.5 to run for crap.

For the transmission, you'll have to take the whole thing apart. There's a set screw on the side of one of the gears that tensions a spring against a centrifugally actuated lever. You'll want to turn it out a bit. Unfortunately it's a whole lot of tearing apart and putting back together over and over again to test.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:14 PM
MadMax49

Well im running 20%! Can u buy 18%? if so where can u get it! Also shouldnt I put diff oil back in it when I tear it down?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:41 PM
NewRageRC

The transmission isn't sealed, you'll just want to make sure the gears are greased. You're running 20% nitro, you want to see what the oil %age is. The more oil the hotter its going to need to be to burn and the more susceptible it's going to be to fouling plugs. I think 10% oil is about what you want.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:13 AM
MadMax49

Hmm I wondering if it be better to use a hotter plug instead of using10%? Im thinking 10% may berough on the engine! what do you think?
ORIGINAL: NewRageRC

The transmission isn't sealed, you'll just want to make sure the gears are greased. You're running 20% nitro, you want to see what the oil %age is. The more oil the hotter its going to need to be to burn and the moresusceptibleit's going to be to fouling plugs. I think 10% oil is about what you want.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:13 AM
Valgath

my EQ has the 3.5 engine and i use 20% nitro and it runs just fine . Im using sidewinder fuel for mine .
Old 06-23-2012, 12:44 PM
kelynsdad1023

I have the EQ 3.5 and I use Byron fuel with 20% nitro and 12% oil and use OS8 glow plugs and it runs like a champ !
Old 06-25-2012, 07:35 AM
NewRageRC

ORIGINAL: MadMax49

Hmm I wondering if it be better to use a hotter plug instead of using10%? Im thinking 10% may berough on the engine! what do you think?
ORIGINAL: NewRageRC

The transmission isn't sealed, you'll just want to make sure the gears are greased. You're running 20% nitro, you want to see what the oil %age is. The more oil the hotter its going to need to be to burn and the moresusceptibleit's going to be to fouling plugs. I think 10% oil is about what you want.
I don't know. I tried probably half a dozen different plugs and gave up on the fuel we had and bought something with less oil because it was just too frustrating.