Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Nothing but crap or a lemon

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 PM
firebird1967

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nothing but crap or a lemon

My tornado bb has barley worked since i got it about a year ago, now its just sitting in my garage. I say I spent about $400 on it trying to get it work. It needs a new header gasket, new engine screws(You dont know how many times I had to take the engine off),new clutch and spring, and new tranny gears. Please help me on this- I had had a bad start on nitro cars.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:10 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nothing but crap or a lemon

if the mesh is set correct you dont have to worry about stripping spur gears, cluch spring is normal on a car to break but you can upgrade using the traxxas 4146x spring. Header gaskets only cost a couple of bucks the most, traxxas and hpi .15 side exhaust gaskets will work or you can make your own out of gasket material you get from an auto parts store. How did you spend $400 trying to fix it? What did you replace?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:15 PM
firebird1967

I had to Replace the Engine, receiver, and my hump batter- it shorted out and started smoking, then it exploded. But where would i get the gears for the tranny at?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:20 PM
ehroof

you should have used the engine replacement program, could have got the sh .18 for less than $50. Dont know what ot say about the shorting of the reciever or hump pack but you can get the gears here

http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdeta...p?partno=06033
http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdeta...p?partno=06032

or here:
http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...le-gear/Detail
http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...l?sfs=44dbfb36
Old 02-18-2008, 08:20 PM
giddyuperic

For 400 bucks you can get a ofna hyper 8.5 and never look back. Redcat is okay but if you want something that is built well and will run right get a name brand product like traxxas, or hpi ,losi , ofna something you can go to your local hobby shop and buy it and all of the parts. And they will be more then willing to help you. Because redcat and all of the other enternet cars you can get support only on here and few places so save your money and buy your self some thing good. Redcat is okay but??????? Check out some of the other brands forums on here and take a look around and see what else is out there. You don't have to buy just redcat only.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:23 PM
dayglo

its not just u. when i started with rc, nitro, no electric, i broke all sorts of stuff, didn't know to use lock tight, and blew up afew motors. i jumped right in cause i always wanted one since i was small. just learned as i went, and read alot of mags and stuff. so don't give up because they are fun as hell.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:23 PM
ehroof

Old 02-18-2008, 08:27 PM
pede_187

ORIGINAL: ehroof

Post changed because quoted post was changed.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:28 PM
giddyuperic

Please don't make a big deal out of what I said I am not bashing REDCAT in any way just opening his eyes to other things out there. Redcat is great for some people. And I have nothing bad to say about them. So please don't bashing me or my comments, last I heard this is a free world. Thank you.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:29 PM
firebird78

ORIGINAL: giddyuperic

For 400 bucks you can get a ofna hyper 8.5 and never look back. Redcat is okay but if you want something that is built well and will run right get a name brand product like traxxas, or hpi ,losi , ofna something you can go to your local hobby shop and buy it and all of the parts. And they will be more then willing to help you. Because redcat and all of the other enternet cars you can get support only on here and few places so save your money and buy your self some thing good. Redcat is okay but??????? Check out some of the other brands forums on here and take a look around and see what else is out there. You don't have to buy just redcat only.

im thrilled with my hurricane...hit a few bumps cause im a noob...but it was ready to go out the box...were are you buying a hyper8.5 rtr for $400?...I live atleast 2 hrs from a lhs so wouldnt do me no good anyways..and ur not guanteed the lhs will have the part u need in stock anyways...
Old 02-18-2008, 08:29 PM
ehroof

he was looking for help, not another brand of car
Old 02-18-2008, 08:32 PM
twomanytoys

I would put redcat above Traxxas any day. Although I love my 2 jato trucks my Tmaxx made me hate traxxas.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:35 PM
firebird78

cheapest 1/8th rtr buggy I seen at my lhs was a kyosho...like $500..I dont think it was the good kyosho either...and I didnt see a kyosho part one hanging on their wall..
Old 02-18-2008, 08:41 PM
firebird78

okay....back on topic.....what happening with the tornado now??..I mean what needs fixed?..
Old 02-18-2008, 08:44 PM
RC Danny

Yeah really
Old 02-18-2008, 08:47 PM
ehroof

very important lesson to learn here, dont fool with the FAMILY, it doesnt work here, right boys? Not a smart idea to bash redcat in the redcat forum.

LMAO
Old 02-18-2008, 08:54 PM
firebird78

ORIGINAL: ehroof

very important lesson to learn here, dont fool with the FAMILY, it doesnt work here, right boys? Not a smart idea to bash redcat in the redcat forum.

LMAO

not when im absolutly thrilled with mine..If I had ability to make the decision on what to buy as my first nitro again...I'd diff go with what I bought,,,a hurricane...any trouble i've had is noob troubles...im hard on mine..(not quite as hard as Adam and a few others..lol.))...and it takes it..
Old 02-18-2008, 09:07 PM
firebird1967

see-i backoreded mine it musto f been the lemon out of them---i spent two weeks seeing to try to find out why it wouldnt start---it was a cracked fuel tank, it wouldnt seal.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:18 PM
firebird78

ouch...sorry...just curious..how long have you known about this support??..ive seen multiple times that people have gotten their new redcat and something wasnt right and Darin or Nick jumped right in and made it right...honestly I love my redcats...I just hope u can get urs running to were u can enjoy it..i'm a noob also...and the tornado is alot diff then my cane...and I havent had my lightning very long...but anyway I can help I'm happy to
Old 02-18-2008, 10:52 PM
need2drag
My Feedback: (1)

As every knows, I am definitely a noob as well. I started with a Tornado, and I had problems, but they were all operator error. I have had a lot of down time, but nothing I haven't gotten over. I love my Tornado, and don't ever plan on letting it go. I liked it so much, even with all the problems I have had, that I am upgrading to a Monsoon. I don't know if you are like me, but I have had many electric junk cars, that you break or get tired of after a week or so, but nitro is so much better. I regret only one thing with nitro, and that is that I waited TOO long to get one. I will soon be an owner of 2 Redcats and everyone I talk to, I tell them that Redcat is the way to go. Especially for what you are getting for the price. Don't worry yourself too much about problems, just remember what went wrong, and try not to do it again. Like I always say, live and learn. Happy bashing everyone.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:21 AM
Xerokitsune

ORIGINAL: need2drag

Don't worry yourself too much about problems, just remember what went wrong, and try not to do it again. Like I always say, live and learn. Happy bashing everyone.

I agree 100% i just ordered my new Volcano SV And so far i love the fact that redcats has a support forum on here it's great and the owner and many others are there to help i have tried other sites a while back (I had custom elecs.) and no body could help with the simplest probs unlike here they will help as much as they can.

LONG LIVE THE REDCATS REVOLUTION!!!!!

Xero
Old 02-19-2008, 01:46 AM
jumpanddrop

2 of my freinds have tornados and are not impresed. they keep on brakeing rims,dogbones, servos, shock towers, shocks and suspensions arms. thats one reson im reluctant to buy as redcat. the suport is great for redcat thats one reason i might get one. the hpi forum sucks ALLOT.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:29 AM
need2drag

I have broken my rims, rear dogbones, and even the rear differential. But it was all because of operator error like I said. As it sits right now, I only have front wheel drive on my Tornado, but I still won't give up on it. I am not going to say anyone is wrong, by not liking it because they have had problems, but I have seen a kid in town, drop several hundred into his Traxxas, and he has had more issues than me. Not to mention he spent about $200 more than me, just to buy it. My dad also has an Acme Condor, and that thing has been broken since the day he got it running. He is still waiting on parts he ordered like 3 weeks ago. Not me though. Thanks Redcat.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:05 PM
ehroof

i just have to say one thing, parts dont break on their own, i havent broken a suspension part yet, its been 2 years, actually i am lying, i broke a rear c hub on my lightning when i hit the wall at my local track doing about 30mph. I havent stripped a spur gear since i upgraded to a steel clutch bell, now they come stock with the steel clutchbell. If you hit a curb, pile of dirt or cartwheel you will most likely break something, same goes with spur gears, i love the "i stripped a gear and i dont know why?" the you ask, did you check the gear mesh and people are like "whats that" or my engine fried in 1 tank of fuel any your like, did you oil the filter and there like "no, i didnt know". I have found that 9 out of 10 complaints are user error, most people are new to the hobby and dont bother reading a thing, you know how many people email and pm me saying their car doesnt start but they dont even put the glow plug igniter on the plug and dont even know they are supposed to have an igniter.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:16 PM
need2drag

I don't think that is directed towards me, but just in case, I am not complaining at all. I know that all the problems I have had are my fault, and not some kind of failure from Redcat. I just didn't know exactly what to do, and I guess you could say that is what this forum is for, along with many other things. I applaud, and appreciate all the help I get, and I hope that help is always around. I never plan on buying another car unless it is a Redcat. Just wanted to put that out there. And is if I don't say it enough, thanks to everyone that has helped me at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.