Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

chasis compatibility??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 07:16 AM
NateDogg80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chasis compatibility??

Iam looking to replace my volcano epx pro chasis with an aluminum one. Ican't seem to find anything that is for the volcano other than the stock plastic one. Is the Volocano chasis compatible with any other trucks, other than redcat epx models??
Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: chasis compatibility??

well, the diffs and suspension parts will bolt onto a nitro s30 chassis.

Everything else you would have to make mounting holes on the nitro chassis.

the nitro has a different steering servo location, no mount holes for the motor/upper chassis plate/battery posts ect.

I think it could be done, but custom holes would have to be drilled for sure. And who knows what other issues you may run into.

did you manage to break the plastic chassis?
Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 AM
NateDogg80

unfortunately yes.  I hit a pole doin about 20mph and it ripped the suspension arm right out of the chasis and broke where it screws in.  Also bent the crap out of hinge pins that hold the arms on.  but whats cool is... I can rebuild it.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Johnathond22

We all have the epx pro models and have been building many Aluminum upgrades. If you can't force the chassis to accept nitro version it is possible to upgrade to aluminum with a little home engineering. See below. This bumper took a direct pole hit at an easy 40 mph lipo epx. Still in tact.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46906.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1833907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr47202.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	1833908  
Old 12-26-2012, 08:58 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Johnathond22

We all have the epx pro models and have been building many Aluminum upgrades. If you can't force the chassis to accept nitro version it is possible to upgrade to aluminum with a little home engineering. See below. This bumper took a direct pole hit at an easy 40 mph lipo epx. Still in tact.
jeez, nice work man!
You just traced out the chassis, to cut the alloy one. Now you have heavy duty bumper as well as skid plates.
I also like where you bolted it to the chassis. You picked points that dont get any stress. If you had bolted it with the screws that hold the stock chassis to the diff cases that could have caused an issue.

Only thing I would have done different, is I would have used a much larger drill bit to make a countersink hole. Then used flat head screws to get them flush mounted with the alloy chassis.

You know, multiple people lately have been asking about alloy chassis for the volcano. Perhaps you should consider making/selling what you have there!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Johnathond22

Yeah, this was actually the first which is a prototype and we have actually perfected it. I will post a few photos again later of the other full guard. I did re-sink these screws. This was a quick run we built and tested heavy bashing. It helped with flipping too. It bounces on the front and rear bumpers instead of breaking off the hubs. We just got into RC and will try to keep posting new ideas. The volcano is an excellent starter truck but does indeed need a bit of protection to make it last a whole day of bashing. I'm currently building "pebble guards" cause it seems the smallest little pebble gets in the drive train and snaps the dog bones. Especially if you run lipo power. I will consider building to sell these items. We will see the responses to the other pics I post.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:56 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Yeah, this was actually the first which is a prototype and we have actually perfected it. I will post a few photos again later of the other full guard. I did re-sink these screws. This was a quick run we built and tested heavy bashing. It helped with flipping too. It bounces on the front and rear bumpers instead of breaking off the hubs. We just got into RC and will try to keep posting new ideas. The volcano is an excellent starter truck but does indeed need a bit of protection to make it last a whole day of bashing. I'm currently building ''pebble guards'' cause it seems the smallest little pebble gets in the drive train and snaps the dog bones. Especially if you run lipo power. I will consider building to sell these items. We will see the responses to the other pics I post.
what ive seen people do, who sell custom/handmade parts on ebay is this: list the item and in the description state that the item is made after the sale. Thus, the item may take 7 days before shipping.
Thise makes it easy as you dont have to make the chassis before hand. Wait to you have the sale, then make it. If you sell enough of them quickly, then it would make sence to produce them in small batches beforehand.

What type of metal are you using, and what do you cut it with?

Other tricks I use with the volcano is putting nitro fuel tubing bits inside the diff's drive cups. This puts the dogbone further into the wheel's drive cup. There is often too much play on the dogbones, and they can come to far out of the wheel's drive cups...especially when the wheels are fully turned. Thats often the situation which causes the dogbones to bind/bend or snap.

On top of that, moving the camber and steering links to the holes closest to the hub helps alot. I find that it helps nearly as much as upgrading to the alloy ones. And there isnt much need for camber adjsutments and such on a basher monster truck like the volcano.

Just for an idea, the only other good chassis protection you can buy is the Tboneracing bumpers and skid plates. They make them for the tornado and volcano. These are high grade, larger plastic bumpers. The bumpers run you $15 each (front and rear) So, $30 for both.
Your chassis has front/rear bumper...as well as tougher chassis and serves as a skid plate (protecting all those screws)
I dont think it would be unreasonable to ask $50-$60 shipped for that chassis. If you can build it for less than $15-$20 then there is some money to be made there.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:14 AM
NateDogg80

Very nice job!

Let me know if you every start selling them!

Old 12-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Johnathond22

Ok guys, I am now finished the final run of the Full Gaurd. Have a look. Let me know any thoughts or ideas.
Details are that the chassis skid and core is made of 1/8 aluminum and the rear bumper is aluminum 5/16 thick plate for realism. The front Gaurd is 3/16 stainless rod. That was most likely the bulk of the work to shape a full realistic look. All is now Rhino lined and mounted ready for the bash!

Name:	Vt58655.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1834402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr48112.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1834403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bd65788.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1834404  
Old 12-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Johnathond22

Here are the rest of pics, only allowed to upload so many at a time in detail.

Name:	Tr50912.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1834418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18198.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1834419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln11032.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1834420  
Old 12-29-2012, 06:22 AM
NateDogg80

Thats bad as*!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Johnathond22

Nate, I decided to build a few, if you want one I really just need something you would consider signature, like an ICon. These will be handmade so each can differ a little. Just provide some details as to what you would like to see in your own bumper. Ex: color, style of push, width of push. Keep in mind the aluminum used is thin to keep weight down so if it takes a heavy crash you may need to straighten it out.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:55 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Is that a axial or emaxx bumper on the back?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Johnathond22

It is a "Shear Hobbyz" rear bumper as I made this too and we are calling my "Hobby Shop" Shear Hobbyz" we we refer to the RC fun. It's not really public as I am not sure if I am ready to help the public. It's al l still just for fun right now. I am considering becoming a red cat dealer though.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 AM
NateDogg80

Iwould definitely want it black. The back bumper is fine how it is. Iwould maybe shorten the base of the front one a litlle, as well as the bars. Maybe to half of the fronttires. It be nice to protect the new body i got, cuz those stock bumpers are useless for that.

Name:	Sq46095.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1834651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10773.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1834652  
Old 12-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Johnathond22

Ok, I need a measurement from the wood to about 1/2 inch under the lights, we don't want to block the lights. I'll make an eighteen wheeler style push bumper.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Johnathond22

Nate, see photo attached. I redesigned the bumper. It's all large plate with shorter front push. How's this look?

Name:	Bz79605.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1835827  
Old 01-01-2013, 11:59 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Nate, see photo attached. I redesigned the bumper. It's all large plate with shorter front push. How's this look?
I like the width, but Id rather have the bumper be where the bumper on the body is. so maybe 1'' lower.
Certainly looks like it will protect the truck tho!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Johnathond22

Nitro, I can make one for you too. What truck do you have? I do not have the chassis to outline of anything but Epx pro and Traxxas Tmax. Which Redcat do you have?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:45 AM
NateDogg80

Yeah I like that one better.  wish I had that the other day.  I was showing it off to some of my nephews, and ran it right into the back tire of a mini van head on at about 40mph.  demolished the front shock tower, drive shaft and bent almost every shock on it.  So needless to say, I'll have to get back to you on measurements once a buy the new parts and rebuild it.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nate, save your money and get a better car, think of what you've spent on this truck now and what you could have had instead.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:23 AM
NateDogg80

Hey John,

Finally put back together my epx pro. measurments are 3.5' from ground to front lights and they are 3.75' apart. the backs are 5' high and 3.75' apart. Let me know what else you need and what it will cost me. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Nitro, I can make one for you too. What truck do you have? I do not have the chassis to outline of anything but Epx pro and Traxxas Tmax. Which Redcat do you have?
right now i only have the tornado epx pro.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Jswingle13

I think I will be trying something similar on my nitro volcano..... During my final tank of break in I hit a pole just right and broke my front bumper. It took out a small piece of my body because the stock bumper provides no protection.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:17 AM
Johnathond22

Nate,
I am done with your bumper. I will post a picture when I get back in the shop this morning. We will discuss shipping g and price then. Do you prefer pm or email?

Nitro,
Yours is done as well. Sorry for delays guys, work was hectic for a few weeks. Same question, pm or email?
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.