Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Bananaboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

Hey ... no one seamed to care about it last time I brought this subject here but... to anyone who cares about let me say something.

I was pissed at my alum cluth shoes ... cause after 2 or 3 tanks I would have to remove them and give some maintenance !! so now I have a new set of flywheel with 3 clutch shoes. They are carbon made and let me tell you something !!! THEY ROCK !!! so I would definitly recomend them !!! 4 tanks so far and they are like new !!! and I am using this set on my big truck with a new AXIAL 32 engine !!! so I am sure they would be perfect for our redcat trucks...

Regards,
Old 09-07-2006, 06:13 PM
entity
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

i have big big blocks that wil fit. and just cut off the size of the shaft to work.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:17 PM
futabaed

I contacted rcu and this is whut they had to say about the page lockup:

The response is Thanks for giving us the heads up. Errors such as these
happen from time to time. The management of RCU is pretty on the ball
about dealing with these. Usually a reboot of the server involved will
clear up the problem. Closing this ticket

Ken
Old 09-07-2006, 11:56 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Interesting. So does it automatically stop all threads at 100 pgs?
Old 09-08-2006, 04:49 AM
cgoodlet

I found some HPI MT2 rear holders, axles and bearings that seemed to fit well. The only mod I needed to make to the existing suspension was some dremel work on the inside of the A arm. I am however having difficulty finding some dog bones that are the right length and the right thickness at the same time.

ORIGINAL: Bananaboat

Guys ... a litle help. As we can´t find a alum rear axel holder.. is it possible to change the whole set of rear suspension to that new one with ball ends ?? cause that one has a set of alum parts right ??? if it is possible to use that... what would I have to buy ? lower amrs, axel holder, etc .....

best regards,
Old 09-14-2006, 04:14 PM
futabaed

Do you know the length of dogbones you need in mm.?
Old 09-16-2006, 05:37 PM
seanm729

hey guys[8D] this is the first time i have had a chance to write anything on here in week's but i wanted to let you guy's know that my bro and i finaly got a chance to try out his volcano after i took it apart and rebuilt it and it ran as good as ever i didn't have my camera with me but i want get some pics on here because i want to show you guys the fresh new paint job i hooked are trucks up with[8D][8D]
Old 09-24-2006, 09:13 PM
galaszuk

Hello all,

I have been out of the forum for quite some time. Good to see that it is still happening. Would just like to let you all know (especially those home here in Australia) that our online store is now operational. The address is:

and that we have everything for 1/10th Hispeed as well as other Brands. More will be coming before Christmas.

If you need anything then just jump online and order and it will sent be out in a jiffy.

If you need any advice then PM me.

Thanks all
Dave
Treasure Trove Toys
Old 09-26-2006, 11:19 AM
abjones413

Hey everyone. I ordered a Volcano SV Sunday and hope to be breaking it in this weekend. I have been reading a ton of posts and threads in this forum, but there are SOOOOOOOO many, I obviously haven't read them all, so forgive me if these questions have been answered somewhere down the line.

1. Is Traxxas Top Fuel 20% nitro good to use? My local hobby shop only carries that brand and they have 10 and 20%. The guy recommended the 20%

2. I picked up a O.S. No.8 glow plug for after my break-in. Is that a good plug? Is it hot or cold? It's actually the only one they stock, aside from one other one which he said was primarily for planes.

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I actually drive it, but I will try to research more before posting. These were just a couple of topics I couldn't find without days (hours at least) of hunting...
Old 10-08-2006, 11:02 PM
abjones413

I am considering upgrading my stock Redcat radio. I wanted to go with an FM due to the fact that I heard they catch less interference, but the guy at my LHS has a JR brand AM radio that he recommends. It's $67, marked down from $99, so it's very tempting. He said it's definitely a far better system than the one I'm running now, and it comes with the receiver and 2 servos.

If anyone would like to comment on whether should go with this AM radio or an FM, please let me know. Keep in mind I am a basher, not planning on racing and crossing frequencies with anyone, and that I only paid $175 for my truck NIB off ebay. I want an economical radio that doesn't cost more than the truck! lol

I'm also working on other upgrades like tires, rims and a NiMH for the receiver. Check 'em out...
Masher 2000 Tires - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUM93&P=7
HPI SS Monster Wheel - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM875&P=7
OFNA 5-Cell 6V 1600mAh NiMH Battery Pack - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNMD7&P=7

Obviously not all AM radios are crap, right?, as I've seen some that aren't too cheap.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Bananaboat

Hi there buddy,

I bought a FUTABA 2 PL (AM) for something like 45 dollars on ebay... I heard the samething about FM radios... but let me tell you this.... if you are like me and just wanna have some quality time with your truck this will do !!! the radio is awesome and have tons of fuctions.. ABS, DIGITAL SCREEN and a lot of stuff . Ahhh it also comes with 2 servos !!

Take a look ... you'll like it !

ORIGINAL: abjones413

I am considering upgrading my stock Redcat radio. I wanted to go with an FM due to the fact that I heard they catch less interference, but the guy at my LHS has a JR brand AM radio that he recommends. It's $67, marked down from $99, so it's very tempting. He said it's definitely a far better system than the one I'm running now, and it comes with the receiver and 2 servos.

If anyone would like to comment on whether should go with this AM radio or an FM, please let me know. Keep in mind I am a basher, not planning on racing and crossing frequencies with anyone, and that I only paid $175 for my truck NIB off ebay. I want an economical radio that doesn't cost more than the truck! lol

I'm also working on other upgrades like tires, rims and a NiMH for the receiver. Check 'em out...
Masher 2000 Tires - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUM93&P=7
HPI SS Monster Wheel - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM875&P=7
OFNA 5-Cell 6V 1600mAh NiMH Battery Pack - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNMD7&P=7

Obviously not all AM radios are crap, right?, as I've seen some that aren't too cheap.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Kemo

good radio for the price, same exact one I have:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGRB0&P=7
Old 10-11-2006, 01:31 AM
futabaed

This thursday will be my last day as forum moderator for Redcat Racing.
I will still be on often To check the volcano forums.
A recent pc crash has left me ofline till now.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Gloubi06

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, and returning to my former passion for modelism that I left some 20 years ago (and I'm not that old!!!)...

I have read with a lot of interest all the postings that you've left. It's been really good to get me up-to-date with you sharing your experience and knowledge.

Now, I've ordered a Himoto Rancho monster truck. I choose the "Pro Upgrade 1:8 Monster Truck Rancho" with all aluminium upgrade and a SH .28 engine. It's great and what an amazing piece of truck! Quality construction and a terrific look, I'm really happy! No comparison with my old Gas RC car that I never sold!!!

Now I have a few questions regarding this truck:

1) I ran 5 tanks, and still breaking in the engine... But last time I used it, the transmission broke! The Clutch belle break in two parts, and the central big gear now has one tooth missing!!! I'm not sure about what happened, but I'm worried! I'm sent an email to HIMOTO, and they answered that they have forwarded my email to the factory!?
Does anyone already had this issue? On a new car?
The only problem I could find when I took it apart, is a screw attaching the centre gear to the front shaft that was un-tighten. The screw prevented one brake disc from staying straight, and the car wouldn't run freely, like if the brakes were on. But this can't explain why the transmission broke like that!

2) I have aluminium upper front arms, and I had to adjust them to the minimum to get a decent front wheels alignment. I wish they were a little shorter. Anyone had this issue yet? What setting should I choose? Negative camber?

3) The body touches the front gigantic tires when turning and compressing the shock absorbers. I trimmed the body to the maximum, and they still touch the body when compressing the shock absorbers to the max. Anyone had this issue?

Thanks a lot for any feed back you might have... And thanks for the help you've been giving me for the past weeks, without knowing it!!!

Laurent (From Nice-France)
Old 10-14-2006, 08:57 AM
ruinx

Here are the top 3 websites I found to get parts....
www.redcatracing.com over priced!
www.johns*********.com Has parts for STX not SV
www.topspeedtoys.com Gret website not to expensive. This guy has no unknown back order he actully stocks parts none of this drop shipment...
Hope this info helps..
http://www.himotoracing.com/ it's obvious hard to get parts from
Old 10-22-2006, 09:16 AM
pom08

got a question for all you guys...... does anyone make metal gears for the transmission for the volcano? don't have the time to read all the pages to search for it..... been a while since i have been on these forums, but want to do some work on my truck this winter. i know there was talk about someone making the metal gears and if anyone knows where i can buy them please post a link to the web site. it would be very much appreciated. thanks
Old 10-22-2006, 10:47 AM
bluecaka69

nope
Old 10-22-2006, 12:14 PM
aldune

Hi Guys,
I need a little of your expertise.

My son bought a Earthquake last month on e-bay. After the 3rd tank of gas or so the clutch bell broke, probably to mis-alignment, I admit we were in a hurry and did not check alignment properly.

We ordered a new part, we received a clutch bell that was different. The old one has the 2 bearings together inside the bell, the new one has one inside and one at the nose, (which looks like a stronger setup) and is shorter,
also the new one has 14 teeth instead of 10.
the old bearings are .420 OD and it appears that the new ones should be .400OD.
We were told that the old CB was no longer available and that the new one would work.

Without grinding some of the gas tank mount and re drilling the engine mount holes to move the engine forward, I do not see how this is possible.

could somebody give us some input as to the best way to go to get him up and running again?

Thanks
Greg

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17317.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	545839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16438.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	545840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98247.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	545841  
Old 10-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Gloubi06

Ruinx,
Thank you for sharing your best addresses to get spare parts. I've actually ordered the replacement parts with exportpro again as this is easier. But I'll consider changing for my next order!

Greg,

I'm somehow glad that you had the same issue as me. My clutch bell broke after running only 4-5 tank of gas, and still driving really softly (breaking in the engine). I have the Himoto Rancho (MT 1:8) which is exactly the same car.

I'm also glad to hear about your experience with after-sale. What seller sold this to you? ebay?

I'm actually insisting for them to replace the broken clutch and broken central gear under warranty. This is quite expensive parts, and I'm worried it might break again shortly after I replace it. After taking it apart to check the other parts of the car, I realized that 2 dog bones are bent (front right and rear left) and the engine piston is marked on its sides (humidity marks) I don't know what to expect now!
I'm very disappointed by after-sales! They won't answer clear answers, and always delay the answers. I've bought it on ebay with "exportpro", because I read good feedbacks on them. I've bought the most expensive "Pro Upgrade" with all aluminium upgrades, thinking I would be safe, but I'm very worried now!

Regarding your issue, I would think that they've sent you the wrong part. This is heavy work to modify the engine position in the car! This also modifies the overall balance of the car (maybe not that much?) What does your seller recommend you to do?

I've ordered the spare parts with exportpro, and they didn't tell me anything about the clutch bell being different from the one I have broken... I should receive it later this week, I'll keep you informed.

Laurent
Old 10-22-2006, 07:17 PM
glk420247

Here go to this site to get your part. It is top speed toys I think this is what you are looking for.[link]http://www.topspeedtoys.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=232[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14953.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	546191  
Old 10-22-2006, 07:21 PM
ruinx

I feel your pains I have the Volcano SV and when I got it the rear left rim was cracked. I actully got the truck over a month and a half ago and I am still waiting on the replacement. Redcat says that it is on back order. Over all my truck is prety tough. it has taken 15' high jumps and still worked great. so far I have replaced the right fwd lwr a arm, upgraded to alumnium top deck and body pins I also had a spare 75cc fuel tank lying around and mounted it to the top deck along with the stock tank which has been modified so the fuel outlet was not right in front of the spurr. I'll post pics later to show my monstrocity.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:13 AM
fahaka

Hey aldune,

You recieved the clutch bell for a HURRICANE, which has a different center differential. From what i understand this break might be a common problem.

So you can either replace the clutch bell with the original one.
Or
Replace the center diff with the one designed for the huricane. you would need part numbers

Old 10-23-2006, 02:06 PM
abjones413

If you're going to replace the CB, just do it the right way - find the compatible HPI steel CB. You will never have to worry about it again. Don't mess around with a whole bunch of parts trying to make it work. Go to RedcatRacing.com http://redcatracing.com/# , click on the Live Support box and see what they have to say. If it's green, someone's there, if red just leave a message. Jacob has an Earthquake, so he should know.

Eric and Jacob helped me out and recommended the HPI 18 tooth steel clutchbell for my Volcano SV. I don't need one yet, but now I know which one to get. It's also got more teeth for a bit more top end. The Volcano is really torquey right out of the box, so a few more teeth will even things right out...

Good ruck!
Old 10-24-2006, 12:18 AM
aldune

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions, you are really alot of help,
I, out of respect for the seller, am going to wait another few days for a response.
I also sent them a link to this post!
I will let you know

Thanks again
Greg
Old 10-24-2006, 12:52 PM
TruckFreak

Hello to everyone, I have a complicated mechanical question about my engine.The other day when I was cleaning my R/C engine I noticed that my piston had some slight pitting. I do use a fuel filter and clean my truck often,so the damage must have occurred during normal wear and tear,right.If so Me and My friend learned a technique as seniors in mechanics class that it is possible to polish the piston head in real trucks,cars,vans,etc... and was curious if this same technique is possible for R/C cars. !All answers welcome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.