Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

futaba radios?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 11:35 AM
mjnp06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default futaba radios?

Are the radios thar come with redcat tornados made by futaba? they look an awful lot alike. just wondering when i replace the radio if i should get a futaba or does anyone have any other recommendations?

thanks

mike

Old 10-25-2006, 11:43 AM
jczechjr

Default RE: futaba radios?

I noticed the same thing. I replace my radio yesterday with the Futaba 2ph am system and have to say it is about 500% better. The range is at least twice (that is all I checked) and no interference. I Imagine that the outside cases are made with the same type molds but that is where the similarities end. Hope this helps
Old 10-25-2006, 11:47 AM
mjnp06

thanks jr, i didnt want to dump 60 bucks on the same junk radio i already have here.

mike
Old 10-25-2006, 11:23 PM
mjnp06

anybody else have any recommendations on their favorite radio?
Old 10-26-2006, 04:55 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Futaba 3PM. $115 to $200, depending on which version you get, but the 2PH will suit you fine. I've been running Futaba since I got into the hobby, aside from a couple dark years when I was running JR, LOL.

almost ANY radio will be a drastic upgrade from the craptacular poofest these things come with.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Popper252

lol craptacular poofest... very well put

Yeah look into the Futaba PH or the 2PL

There's a guy on ebay that sells the PH for 47 dollars. That includes shipping and everything.

I think it's money well spent.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:53 PM
mjnp06

hey guys

whats the difference between AM and FM? i see alot of airtronics m8 and cx2p.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:18 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Ever turn on your car radio and go to AM then to fm? see how much clearer the signal is haha Basically the same thing.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:08 AM
abjones413

AM is perfectly fine for BYB (back yard bashing), fooling around or even serious driving. They're very reliable, durable and responsive. The FMs are better and well known for their longer range and not crossing frequencies. They have more functions and options as well.
Just remember, they wouldn't sell AM radios if they were craptastic. They're just right for someone on a budget, a newbie or anyone who just wants a basic, no frills radio that works nearly as well as their more expensive counterparts. As long as you buy a reputable name brand, such as Futaba, you can't go wrong!

I personally just got this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXEDP1**&P=3 a little over a week ago. It's awesome. The ONLY similarity in this radio and the stock one is the shape of the tx (transmitter). Notice the package I got has the S3010 High-Torque servo and an S3003 standard. Go with this package, whether you get it from Tower, ebay or an RCU ad. The HT servo is great for steering. It holds it's position much better than the S3003.

Here are some ebay options - http://search.ebay.com/Futaba-2PH_W0...opZ3QQsbrsrtZl
Old 10-29-2006, 07:39 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

If your gunna spend the money on a new controller, dont go with am. Fm or spektrum is the way to go.
You get what you pay for thats for sure.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:00 PM
fahaka

Just wanted to mention that I have a few redcats all with the stock radios and I have never had a problem with them, up till I tried running a pack of NiMH’s in it. I noticed that it didn’t work very well at all.

Are all of you running alkaline in your radios? I have been using these in my radios http://store.sundancesolar.com/aarayrecalba.html and I have had problems with them. I cannot recall ever driving the car beyond its radio potential at the track the street etc.

Anyone else had the same experience?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:19 AM
jczechjr

My stock radio would only let me get about 100 ft. until it lost signal that's why I upgraded to a futaba system.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:07 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fahaka

Just wanted to mention that I have a few redcats all with the stock radios and I have never had a problem with them, up till I tried running a pack of NiMH’s in it. I noticed that it didn’t work very well at all.

Are all of you running alkaline in your radios? I have been using these in my radios http://store.sundancesolar.com/aarayrecalba.html and I have had problems with them. I cannot recall ever driving the car beyond its radio potential at the track the street etc.

Anyone else had the same experience?
You need to run 5 of the rechargable to reach the same voltage as the alkaline, the recargables are 1.2volts each the alkaline are 1.5 each,

1.5 x 4 = 6volts alkaline
1.2 x 4 = 4.8 volts rechargable

hope this helps
Old 10-31-2006, 10:29 PM
cng1027

ok new to the hobby and bought the tsunami 4 days later the spur gear is gone and the radio blows. what do i need to change remotes and is there like a pakage deal
Old 11-01-2006, 01:50 AM
abjones413

ORIGINAL: cng1027

ok new to the hobby and bought the tsunami 4 days later the spur gear is gone and the radio blows. what do i need to change remotes and is there like a pakage deal

You need a new transmitter and receiver, that's it. Every manufacturer offers package deals, whether you want just a transmitter and receiver only or servos included as well... Everyone will give you different opinions on what you should get, but it's pretty much a no-brainer that if you want a REALLY good radio with reduced chances of interference, are very serious about the hobby and aren't on a budget, you should go with an FM system.
I personally have a Futaba 2PH AM system which is very reliable and solid. I love it and it was a HUGE improvement over the stock, but keep in mind...
a) I don't race
b) I am a back-yard-basher with just enough time to have some fun while working over 40 hours a week and dedicating enough time to my wife and 2 children to keep me in good graces
and c) I'd rather spend less money on something that will get the job done just fine to allow me to buy other things for myself and my family

As for the spur gear, when you install your new one make sure your mesh is perfect. When the spur and clutchbell gear meet, they should have the slightest amount of play, not too sloppy. It should be just tight enough that when you push the car across a table the gears don't bind and it rolls smoothly. There's a trick that when you tighten the engine back down, you put a strip of notebook paper between the teeth. It will be just the right spacing. From what I've heard, you'r clutch spring will break shortly. It'd be in your best interest to get a spare before you need one. I personally have a Volcano SV and have had no problems until just the other day. After just about 3/4 gal. of fuel my spur is starting to wear. I caught it early and tightened my mesh and have already gotten over 4 more tanks out of it. It's all about the mesh baby...
FYI - If you keep having spur problems, you might want to change out your clutchbell with an HPI hardened steel one. Better quality, perfectly rounded. Also, the stock CB is aluminum with aluminum clutch shoes. Think about that. Poor design... It's on my to-do list.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Erik2424

hey guys, i like all the info on these posts, it helps alot. But i was wondering if anyone here knows of a reliable FM radio system in around the 100-150 range. I ask this because i hate the radio system my RC has, because the signal is quite unstable, it becomes unresponsive and jitters. so if anyone has some suggetions please feel free to tell
Old 11-06-2006, 12:42 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Erik, the Futaba 3PM is a great system. I've had mine for about 3 years now, and hasn't glitched a single time. back when I bought it, it was arond $125 w/two S3003 (basic and cheap) servos
Old 11-06-2006, 01:03 AM
Erik2424

ahh, thanx for the help
Old 11-06-2006, 03:49 AM
mbe301

My Himoto torpeda came with an FM controler, not AM. I have a Futaba 2PH AM from my electric. Is a Futaba AM better than a stock FM? What's a good way to test it?
Old 11-06-2006, 06:08 AM
abjones413

From all I've read and heard, there's no way an AM could be better than an FM, period. FM doesn't catch interference like AM and has greater range, so interference and range would be the 2 main variables in testing your two radios.

BTW, any idea what brand radio Himoto threw in? Sometimes manufacturers use Futaba without the Futaba label...
Old 11-06-2006, 11:54 PM
nitro_racer_1
My Feedback: (2)

iv got an airtonics mx-a computer radio system its by far the best radio iv ever had and u get ALOT for the money http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXJUZ4**&P=7
Old 11-10-2006, 11:58 AM
jrider25

i'm new to the rc scene too. i ordered a new futaba 2ph last week and it should be waiting for me when i get home this afternoon. can i use the factory servos on my new hurricane xp? i really just want to replce the radio and receiver. does this sound like a good idea? if i can leave the factory servos in there... do i need to be careful of anything? or can i just plug the old servos right into futaba receiver? i'm at the airport right now, and don't know if the connectors are even the same. i'm just trying to research the project so i can have an idea of what to expect.

thanks,
jrider
Old 11-10-2006, 01:31 PM
jczechjr

It is perfectly fine to use the factory servos. They are OK just unplug the old receiver and put the new one in. Put batteries in the controller and you are set.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:01 PM
jrider25

thanks jczechjr... i got the recever in and running in less than 10 minutes. i was able to let it idle through 3 tanks of gas. is that enough for a break in period, or should i run one more? also seems to be idling a lot higher than i think it should. i looked through the manual on how to turn the idle down, but i didn't see the screw at first glance. do i need to take anything off to get to it? i have a hurricane xp.

thanks again,
jrider
Old 11-10-2006, 07:21 PM
jrider25

please disregard the top post. i found the idle screw but don't want to adjust it before learning what direction to turn the idle down. would it be counter-clockwise? and what increments do i want to turn it? just a hair... an eigth of a turn... a quarter turn? the car wants to take off on it's own when i set it on the ground and eventually works it's way to a good speed with out even touching the throttle. the radio throttle trim is turned down as far as it can go... and the engine's not even close to stalling out.

thanks,
jrider

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.