RCU Forums - View Single Post - futaba radios?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2006, 01:50 AM
abjones413

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: futaba radios?

ORIGINAL: cng1027

ok new to the hobby and bought the tsunami 4 days later the spur gear is gone and the radio blows. what do i need to change remotes and is there like a pakage deal

You need a new transmitter and receiver, that's it. Every manufacturer offers package deals, whether you want just a transmitter and receiver only or servos included as well... Everyone will give you different opinions on what you should get, but it's pretty much a no-brainer that if you want a REALLY good radio with reduced chances of interference, are very serious about the hobby and aren't on a budget, you should go with an FM system.
I personally have a Futaba 2PH AM system which is very reliable and solid. I love it and it was a HUGE improvement over the stock, but keep in mind...
a) I don't race
b) I am a back-yard-basher with just enough time to have some fun while working over 40 hours a week and dedicating enough time to my wife and 2 children to keep me in good graces
and c) I'd rather spend less money on something that will get the job done just fine to allow me to buy other things for myself and my family

As for the spur gear, when you install your new one make sure your mesh is perfect. When the spur and clutchbell gear meet, they should have the slightest amount of play, not too sloppy. It should be just tight enough that when you push the car across a table the gears don't bind and it rolls smoothly. There's a trick that when you tighten the engine back down, you put a strip of notebook paper between the teeth. It will be just the right spacing. From what I've heard, you'r clutch spring will break shortly. It'd be in your best interest to get a spare before you need one. I personally have a Volcano SV and have had no problems until just the other day. After just about 3/4 gal. of fuel my spur is starting to wear. I caught it early and tightened my mesh and have already gotten over 4 more tanks out of it. It's all about the mesh baby...
FYI - If you keep having spur problems, you might want to change out your clutchbell with an HPI hardened steel one. Better quality, perfectly rounded. Also, the stock CB is aluminum with aluminum clutch shoes. Think about that. Poor design... It's on my to-do list.