Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 05:48 AM
racemaxx24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

I believe Ofna makes a kit that includes a servo horn and adaptors to fit any kind of servo
Old 05-02-2008, 06:08 AM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

I upgraded to the Futaba 2PH radio with an S3003 for throttle and S3010 for steering. The S3010 is higher torque. To get the Viper (Volcano) horn on the Futbaba servo, I literally boiled it. That made it expand and soften a bit, and it went on. You could also use one of the generic arms that comes with the Futaba servos, but may have to do a bit of modification. These servos work well, but they are only a slight upgrade from the stock servos. Basically, the things that determine a servos quality are the number of ball bearings in them (cheap=none[bushings] and best=2), the torque rating, the speed and whether the gears are plastic or metal. If you are really looking for good servos, you can also get them water protected and with a coreless motor. Futaba has good info on their site. [link=http://www.futaba-rc.com/]http://www.futaba-rc.com/[/link] [link=http://www.futaba-rc.com/servos/servochart.pdf]http://www.futaba-rc.com/servos/servochart.pdf[/link] I got the 3003 and 3010 because you can get a package with the radio and both servos for a very good price. [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEDP1**&P=ML]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEDP1**&P=ML[/link] And I was looking for a slight upgrade for the best cost.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Gelo_USA

I got it all installed yesterday... using a s3003 for throtle and the stock for steering..... still havent had time to try it out....the futaba s3003 seems a lot faster than the stock throthle servo... I moved the antenna to on top of the battery box.. wich is a good place.. away from the axle and all gears...
Old 05-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Gelo_USA

also.. what size of dogbone do I need?? they have different sizes...(the ones tht connect the front gearbox to the wheels.....)
thanks
Old 05-03-2008, 06:19 PM
numskull223

Hey,
I have a odd problem. I thought my receiver went bad in tornado, so I took it out and put the one in my Volcano in it, still didn't work. So I put the receiver back into the volcano truck and now it doesn't work. Both tornado and volcano, doesn't work, when I turn the power on the servo just start jumping, and they dont respond to the remote. Both cars are doing it now. I actually played with the volcano just minutes b-4 I took the reciever out, I had extra servo's and that doesn't seem to be the problem....I'm puzzled. Anyone got an Idea what I need to do??????
Old 05-03-2008, 06:53 PM
rclynx

Did you accidently switch the radios ? Or get a batch of bad batteries ?[:-]
Old 05-03-2008, 08:20 PM
numskull223

nope, I did try to change out the crystals, but still the same
Old 05-04-2008, 06:03 AM
rclynx

Its very hard to figure out on line because there are so many variables. Batteries or connections are usually the problem. It is expensive bit the best thing you could do would be get rid of the AM radio and go to one of the new systems like [link=http://xtm-dealer.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=203&zenid=84dd8e8ae2583e0f9782aa14e4268fda]2.4 ghz Airtronics[/link] with extra RX and run them both off the same radio. Or use the radio that works best and the new one [)] If you e-mail the guy on that site he will probably wave the shipping
Old 05-04-2008, 10:58 AM
numskull223

Its odd because the Volcano was working just fine, minutes b-4 i took out the reciever. Iwas was going to try out my Tornado that I put a traxxas 2.5 on. But now both are down.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:04 PM
RCToysNh

Switch the two servo plugs on the receiver ch1 and ch2.
If that works and your steering controls the throttle , switch back.

also -

Check that your batteries are secure and measure the out put of the battery box...6v.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Gelo_USA

yea.. its me bothering u guys again...
whenever I brake my volcano even if the brakes arent tight I hear a CLICK noise as if some gear is skipping... I checked the gears and they seem well.. little wear... the mesh is right...
what do u guys think it may be?? so I can order the parts already before it breaks
thanks guys
Old 05-05-2008, 03:15 PM
kutzie1793

heyy where can i get a pullstart for my volcano?? mine broke, and i ordered one off ebay but its too small.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Gelo_USA

look for it on the redcat website...
man.. is it me or everyone in this forum dissapeared?????
Old 05-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Gelo_USA

lots of questions...
are the tanks on ur cars TIGHT in place or are they a little loose... mine is a little loose and I dnt if I should tighten them up.....

also
whenever I brake my volcano even if the brakes arent tight I hear a CLICK noise as if some gear is skipping... I checked the gears and they seem well.. little wear... the mesh is right...
what do u guys think it may be?? so I can order the parts already before it breaks
thanks guys
Old 05-05-2008, 05:26 PM
rclynx

No don't tighten the fuel tank down, its a little loose because of all the vibration the car puts out. Have you checked to make sure the set screws are tight on your transmission where your dog bonz go in? Might be it no promises [&o]
Old 05-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Gelo_USA

I checked all screws but what are "SET" screws... I m working on the car now so I can check it right now..."rebuilding the shocks" the transmission is tight in place the front gear box and rear gear box too...

EDIT**
also what size dogbones are the ones in front of the VOLCANO SV PRO... connecting the gear box to the wheels??? thanks
Old 05-05-2008, 11:37 PM
numskull223

ORIGINAL: RCToysNh

Switch the two servo plugs on the receiver ch1 and ch2.
If that works and your steering controls the throttle , switch back.

also -

Check that your batteries are secure and measure the out put of the battery box...6v.
I found the problem, And I'll have to post a video of my redcat with a Traxxas 2.5R....it is twice as fast, its crazy, it will spin all four tires..lol.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:37 AM
FlyinGN

at least for me.... it summer and all kinds of other stuff is happening. So I have less time with the rc cars..

ORIGINAL: Gelo_USA

look for it on the redcat website...
man.. is it me or everyone in this forum dissapeared?????
Old 05-06-2008, 11:16 AM
RCToysNh

There are two versions for the VX engine. measure across the screws. If the one you bought is to small my quess is you need 1.25'' version.

We have them on our website.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Gelo_USA

have anyone here had this problem.. whenever I break even if I dnt FULLY brake it clicks as if some gear was skipping... then it started to brakeby itself even when I disconnect the arm from the servo...
pleasee really need help cant find whats wrong... checked all screws....
i m going to take the whole truck apart see if I find any broken parts in the transmission... I knw the two gear box are fine and the transmission gears tht I can see are fine... I was thinking it may be the clutch I have no idea why its just a guess... or something on the break assembly......
Old 05-06-2008, 07:08 PM
chevyderek72

i would hit your brakes with the car off and see if anything moves, or maybe put the car on the ground with the car off and put the brakes on and push it, listen to where its comin from
Old 05-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Gelo_USA

its only when coming on high speed it clicks...now brake locks by itself even on low speeds even when pushing with hands.. it locks and unlocks... by itself..
I have the truck all apart but cant find anything wrong...... the brake is working when I test it it works just fine but I cant figure out whats wrong... all parts move as they should....
Old 05-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Gelo_USA

can anyone post a pic of the brake assembly from up top and from the side??? maybe there is something wrong with mine I just cant find it...
Old 05-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Gelo_USA

ok I think I fixed it.. I will try it tomorrow... too late to go out now...
the allen screws the hold the 2 "shoes" or whatever.. one was too lose the other one too tight... I tighted them all the way and then released them until I got nothing draggin.... its running loose now and brake is working... hope tht fixes it... I also took a look at all the gearing.. the gear skipping might be because of one metal gear tht seems to be worn so it might be skipping its the one by the spur gear... the small one... I think it comes with the spur gear kit...... do u guys recommend getting a 2 gear transmission or should I stick to one?? sice I will have to change the gears might as well buy the whole transmission.... upgrade time
Old 05-06-2008, 08:29 PM
ugly duck

Is the clutch bell hitting the transmission gear? I had that happen on my truck when I switched to the HPI bell and direct drive transmission - sometimes it would hit, sometimes not, but it would lock up the driveline when it did hit.

Just a thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.