Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 04:27 PM
oilking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I can't push it along the ground. It's locked in place.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:24 PM
Dark Mantis

Hi All
I Am New To Redcat Racing But Not New To Nitro Cars And Trucks.
I Have Been Out Of The Game For About Ten Years Now.
My Insanely Awesome Wife Got Me A New Redcat Volcano S30 For My Birthday!
After I Finished Jumping Up And Down I Pulled The New Truck Out Of The Box!...
I Pulled The Body Pins Out And Gave The Body A Tug, Off Popped The Lid To Revile The Sweet Black And Blue Guts! Wow That Looks So Nice! I Hugged My Wife Again And Gave Her Another Kiss, I Was So Happy! Still Am!
After I Calmed Down A Bit And Stopped Pushing The Truck Around The Living Room I Started Looking Closer At The Workings Of My New Prize. First Thing I Spotted Was The Fuel Line Going To The Carburetor Was Pinched As Soon As It Came From The Fuel Tank. I Pulled Out Some Tools And Started To Remove Screws. Yes My Wife Said "You Didn't Evan Start The Thing Up Yet And Your Taking It Apart!"
To Fix The Pinched Fuel Line I Put The Fuel Tank On TOP Of The Upper Deck And Cut Off 1/4 Inch Of Fuel Line.
I Set Up The Tx/Rx, Put In The 20% Nitro Into The Tank That My Wife Also Got Me And Slapped In 4 Batteries. The Truck Started On The Second Pull!
SWEET! I Let It Idle For The First Full Tank Without Any Problems. After About A 45 Minute Phone Call, Back To The Truck I Went. I Refilled The Tank And Snapped The Lid Closed With A Grin.
The Truck Started On The Second Pull Again!
I Hit The Gas Just A Bit To Get The Truck Going. I Was Doing The "No More Than 1/4 Throttle". All Was Well For 1/2 Of The Second Tank Of Fuel And Then; BAMM! Disaster Struck! The Truck Would Not Slow Down Much. Each Time I Hit The Gas To The 1/4 Mark I Hit The Brakes. Less And Less Braking Each Time Until NO Brakes At All! "Oh Snap" I Cried! I Let The Truck Roll To A Stop And Plugged The Exhaust With My Finger To Kill The Engine. I Messed With The Controller A Bit, Moved The Brake Lever On The Truck; NOTHING!
The Brakes Did Nothing At All. I Set The Truck Down To Cool Off So I Could Spray It With "lol" Brake Clean Before Taking It Into The House.
After Noticing The Brake Disk Looked Odd I Pulled The Transmission To Find That The Small PUCK That Actuates The Brake Was Off Center, The Transmission Housing Had Melted. I Was Sad. I Fired Up The Magic Box And Ordered An Aluminum Transmission Housing And New Brakes To Fix The Problem. That Better Do It!
Now I Have A NO Brake, Wants Me To Play With It Broken Truck. All I Can Do is Look At It. Looking At It I Noticed The Throttle Linkage Has A Large Off Amount Of Skew When I Pull The Trigger. No Good! The Linkage Is Kind Of Binding, The Small Plastic Part On The Carburetor Bends At Full Pull. Not Good. I Am In The Process Of Re-configuring The Linkage To Fix This "To Be Next" Problem.
Back To Pushing My Truck Around The House With My Wife Asking Me If I'm 12.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:36 PM
Crazyman425

I'm new to nitro and this forum thing so I was wondering something about my volcano s30 because I was just driving it and all was good then when I went in to refill gas I shut it off and when I went back to start it the pull starter like slipped I guess like it would do one stroke of the piston then be free for the rest of the pull any answers
Old 02-10-2017, 06:36 PM
Geminii23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all. So I have a Volcano EPX. I am looking to upgrade the motor to something faster. I am curious if it is possible to upgrade but keep the Nihm battery or if I have to go Lipo. Any recommendations on affordable upgrade for motor and ESC? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:24 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

With the availability of today's 550/3656 sized brushless motors, that's what I would put in a 1/10 scale 4wd truck. Depending on how crazy you want to get with the motor, a 60A ESC probably will suffice. For me, I'd at least look at an 80A ESC for the added headroom.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:39 AM
Geminii23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey RustyUs,

Thanks. I was at a Hobbyshop this weekend and they recommended a 3000KV or 3300kv, but if I wanted to keep using my Nihm batteries, I would need to get an adapter for Redcat barrel connector.

Here are two motors I found on Amazon. Wasn't sure if either of these would work with my existing Nihm batteries. Ideally I would want to upgrade all three of our redcat trucks, so not looking to break the bank.

You think these would work ok?

https://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-Sensor...3656+brushless

https://www.amazon.com/SkyQ-Racing-B...ss+motor&psc=1
Old 02-12-2017, 09:18 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by Geminii23
... I am curious if it is possible to upgrade but keep the Nihm battery or if I have to go Lipo....
You don't have to "go LiPo" when using a brushless system. If you have good quality NiMh cells and are using a moderately powered brushless system, it'll be fine...most of the time. High current draw applications...I'd definitely switch over to LiPo. Depending on the quality of the NiMh cells, they will be good for 30A~40A. It's been a long time, but I believe NiMh packs can handle those rates. If someone has better insight, please let me know.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:30 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by Geminii23
Hey RustyUs,

Thanks. I was at a Hobbyshop this weekend and they recommended a 3000KV or 3300kv, but if I wanted to keep using my Nihm batteries, I would need to get an adapter for Redcat barrel connector.

Here are two motors I found on Amazon. Wasn't sure if either of these would work with my existing Nihm batteries. Ideally I would want to upgrade all three of our redcat trucks, so not looking to break the bank.

You think these would work ok?

https://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-Sensor...3656+brushless

https://www.amazon.com/SkyQ-Racing-B...ss+motor&psc=1
It's funny you linked that GoolRC combo. I was gonna suggest this one...HERE. Just note that the motor shaft is 5mm and would mean looking for pinion gears to fit.

The GoolRC combo you linked should be fine. I will note that you may or may not be able to use the ESC with NiMh batteries without setting up the ESC for NiMh use (requires card). There is this combo that has programming card as part of the combo.

The second combo that you linked I would not bother with. Not for a 4wd monster truck anyway. If it was a genuine HobbyWing motor, then that blue finned motor would be okay for a lighter 4wd RC.

Just do some research and look at the reviews before going super low budget on anything. If I had to straight out recommend anything to someone upgrading their RCs, it would be HobbyWing, Castle Creations, or Speed Passion combos. There is something to paying a premium price ("get what you pay for") and to have a better quality product. I have used those same no-name/re-branded motors with good success, and I totally get the lure of low dollar combos. To me, it's a hit or miss issue sometimes. Using the super low budget "stuff", and during moderate power..."stuff" usually works well.

Last edited by RustyUs; 02-12-2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added link
Old 06-08-2017, 03:32 AM
jasilby

Default Volcano EPX throttle issue

I have just upgraded to a LiPo 5000mah battery and all was well during the first go with it, but on the 2nd charge and run the truck drove very slowly at first, then all of a sudden picked up speed for a moment and then stopped. I now only have steering control but no throttle? I have changed the batteries in the RC and no change. Have I burned up something possibly? I see the blinking light on the ESC before I pair the RC, once paired it becomes solid. Also when I turn the wheels I hear a crackle or static like noise...almost an electronic type of sound.
appreciate your thoughts...

Last edited by jasilby; 06-08-2017 at 03:38 PM.