Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

diff lock

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:38 AM
splint2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff lock

i have the earthquake and want to lock my rear differential, but am not sure how to do this.Any of you ever done this?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:39 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Default RE: diff lock

I don't think that would be a very good idea to be honest with you. If you lock the rear differential and some how one of your rear wheels locks up(bend a drive shaft or whatever) your going to destroy the entire drive train from the clutch bell back the rear drive axles, stripped spur gear, stripped clutch bell, Bent center axle, possible broken diff, bent wheel axles and so on.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:30 AM
fahaka

I would agree that you do not want to lock it up, you can change the diff greese with one that is more dense and that should help get you more traction from a slow start on both tires though.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:08 PM
BaLLZaCH

Well, even though I agree with Allabout and Splint, I will answer your question:

Chances are: YOU WILL break something. BUT, but but but, if you drive it correctly, you can have posi-fun....

DONT drive ( "TURN" ) only on pavement, becuase turning tight circles on pavement / cement driveways is a killer. ALWAYS TAKE WIDE SWOOPS on the road. When your in the grass/pine straw or dirt, tear it up !!! BUT, On the road, again, IF you are going to turn tight, MAKE IT break loose the rear end and spin around, that way you dont BIND anything and break other parts (As allaboutfunhobbies poineted out) [Snap the throttle and do a doughnut]

How to do it:
--------------
OK, to lock the rear end, take the rear DIFF off, or at least have access the the "spider gears" (The 3 or 4 tiny gears used to link the left and right tires) - Clean all the grease out, use Nitro blast or engine degreaser or alcohol or whatever. Use apoxy, super glue (CA Glue), JB Weld, or silicone sealer, and cram it into the spider gears.

LET IT DRY.

LET IT DRY !!!!!!

Now, re-gease the pinion gear, and put it back together.

VIAOLA !!! POSITIVE TRACION !~

(Locker, spool, etc...)

Later bro...