Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

How "notchy" should my diffs be?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How "notchy" should my diffs be?

You probably rounded over some teeth on the pinion. If you shim it properly, it wont happen.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:22 PM
smoothoperator

I'm not inside the diffs. on the outside of the diffs there is a ring gear that runs around the outer circumference then the drive cup with the pinion gear that goes to the "dog bone" coming from the center diff.

its right inside the plastic case that surrounds the actual differential. it has some grease in there but I can tell its binding pretty badly. putting oil in there would just leak right out.

Thankfully nothing is rounded yet. it still has its black coating still nice and purty just binding.

Thank you guys for everything all this diff talk is probably making heads spin around.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Chubbysdad

I'm sorry as far as the oil i meant for inside. Yes some grease around that is fine. I do believe you need to replace the pinion though. I bet if you look closely, the pinion teeth are rounded over. My pit guy always gives me heck for not taking the time to shim it right. I guess thats why he does most of the work on my car now lol... Sometimes being pickey is a good thing

I would still check the mesh. If it is binding, they will wear really fast.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:38 PM
smoothoperator

how do you take the drive cup out of the plastic diff case "not the diff"

I took out the one allen grub screw. but the cup is stuck on there..

EDIT: I cant get the diff open either...

I'm going to take everything apart and take some pictures for future reference... re shim and re fill the diffs too. I guess its going to be another trip to the LHS.

Next time I will be buying a kit. no more RTR for me. that way I can set everything right the first time. My Q.C. is way more strict coming from a real race car background.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Chubbysdad

Just have to tap it.... The locktite must have seated onto the pinion shaft . Or heat it quick with a lighter.