Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:07 PM
bandelero33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering

Hey guys, as of today my volcano will no longer turn left. It seems the steering servo is working properly, it will turn the wheels
right but not left. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Kemo

Default RE: steering

just to get this out of the way, can you turn it left by hand without hesitation?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:22 PM
bandelero33

Yes it turns easy.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Kemo

Alrighty. Pop off the steering linkage that attaches to the servo horn. Turn the radio on, and then turn the electronics in your vehicle on. See if the servo is able to turn left and right.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:29 PM
bandelero33

yes it turns left and right.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Cam_132

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and if that does not work try tighting up your servo saver.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:41 PM
bandelero33

I tightned the servo saver. It still will not turn left the saver itself seems to have a crack. is it supposed to seperate. I am new to
this and I appreciate your patience.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Kemo

If your servo saver is indeed cracked, you may have just found your culprit. Do you have a pic that you can upload of it?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

yes it is supposed to seperate just a little bit. When you land with the wheels turned(on accident of course lol) that is what gives a bit so it doesn't strip out the servo. Check the top and bottom screw for the servo saver also. Make sure they are snug.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Macanan

ORIGINAL: bandelero33

I tightned the servo saver. It still will not turn left the saver itself seems to have a crack. is it supposed to seperate. I am new to
this and I appreciate your patience.
Yes there suppose to have a crack in the middle of it thats what a servo saver is
Old 04-07-2008, 08:21 PM
taylor152806

i have bought 2 new servo savers and not one of them work any better than the stock one they can only tightin a little not sure whats up with them.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Lordmik

It could be a weak servo. Mine moves fine with no load, but when you have the weight of the vehicle on the tires, it'll barely turn. It does ok when it's moving. You might have to bite the bullet and spring for a new servo.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:15 PM
taylor152806

not the servo put a diffrent one in could i of gotton all bad savers or what could i do
Old 04-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Kemo

Thats about the only other thing it can be... thats if there is no binding in the steering.

One more check can be to hold onto the servo horn and see if you feel "clicking" when trying to turn (turn with radio and let the servo push against your light resistance)
Old 04-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Lordmik

Does the servo saver split really easy? There's an adjustment on it to set the spring tension, but I've always had to take mine out to adjust them. I could never get the adjuster to turn on the car. ALso, make sure you're not cranking the screws down too tight. I know it sounds silly to say that, but I"ve done it.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:23 PM
taylor152806

maybe thats it, it needs taken out and and adjusted.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Lordmik

If it's adjusted to loose, it won't turn either direction usually. Unless your steering is stiffer in one direction than the other.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:29 PM
xraycer71

How about this steering issue(Tornado BB)?

I turn on my electronics and using the steering trim get the front wheels fully straight.

I steer left and then let go of the steering wheel and the wheels does so and return to the fully straight position.

Now, I steer right and the wheels turns right, but when I release the steering wheel the wheels don't fully return to the fully straight position - Its slightly cocked to the right.

So, I try using the steering trim again to straighten it out from this cocked to the right position.

Now, when I steer right and release the steering wheel, it does and return to the straight position.

But, now when I turn left and release the steering wheel it turns left, but returns to a position - slightly cocked to the left.

The servo horn appears to return to the same exact position when at neutral.
At first I thought it was a problem with the servo, so I got replaced it with a new Futaba......same problem.
The servo saver thumb screw won't budge, but testing seems to indicate its stuck at the proper tension.
The 5cell humpback is fully charged and has plenty of power.
All the linkages seems to be in their proper place and working.

Any ideas?[sm=confused.gif]
Old 04-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Swamp3r

Is it it the fm radio thats been recalled? I dunno just a thought.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:51 AM
xraycer71

Nope, am radio
Old 04-08-2008, 04:04 PM
perhamrocks

I have the same problem, i have the tried tightening up the servo saver, but it's as tight as it will go, the servo turns completely but the servo saver engages, and the tires wont turn. The screw on the bottom is tight and so is the lock nut on top. This problem just occured within the past couple of weeks, and i've just been dealing with the bad turning radius.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:54 PM
rclynx

If you can find a sleeve to fit tightly over the servo saver it will work as long as the plastic can't flex..................probably shouldn't tell you this but if all else fails, put a hose clamp on the servo saver...............problem with that is you hit something hard your servo is gone........................Also you can buy a better servo saver to mount on the servo and leave a clamp on the original [&o]
Old 04-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Redharris

The Redcat 1/10 cars are not precision instruments....lol... the stock servos are weak. You cannot adjust trim with the wheels on the ground and the car Not moving.

Set your trim when you are driving (slowly).

And if you want your suspension to track properly and smoothly you will probably have to take it ALL Apart, clean everything, and re assemble it so that left and right turn radius is equal and balanced. Take your time and dont Over Tighten anything or the steering/suspension will bind.
Remember, You have to turn your radio system ON and center your servo before you attach the servo horn.

A lot of folks are afraid to take their cars apart when they are new to the hobby, but sooner or later you are gonna Have to do it.
Just look at everything very carefully and take notes (or Pictures), so that you can put it back together properly. Its not Rocket Science and you will learn a lot by doing this sort of Maintenance yourself.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:51 AM
xraycer71

The Redcat 1/10 cars are not precision instruments....lol... the stock servos are weak. You cannot adjust trim with the wheels on the ground and the car Not moving.
I don't know whether you're referring to me or Bandelero33, but as I stated I put in a new Futaba servo(HT), and the trim were original done on a block with wheels off ground. Checked for any binding and anything that looks off. Took the entire front end apart and reassembled. The only thing that doesn't work properly is the thumb screw on the servo saver which is kinda frozen, but seems to be at the proper tension when tested by hand. Yes, the servo is centered with radio and receiver on. Yes, I've tried steering trim adjustment while it is driven. The thing tracks straight, but doesn't fully straighten out after steering is used. This all just occured like 2 weeks ago.
I'm just gonna replace the servo saver and see what happens.