RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   new car (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/4952845-new-car.html)

ewaddell82 11-03-2006 10:59 PM

new car

i just bought a tsunami by red cat racing just wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on this car?

nitro_racer_1 11-03-2006 11:42 PM

RE: new car

well its a truggy version of the buggy and the buggy is awesome so im sure the tsunami is too, lol i bought my himoto buggy when they first hit the market, and ended up converting it into a truggy, if i would have been more patient a could have just bought a tsunami! but let me know how it is i was kinda wondering

ewaddell82 11-03-2006 11:54 PM

do rtr cars come factory tuned and if so do i have to do any tuning after i break it in or can i just run it the way it isim new and the first one i had i messed up pretty bad...

ehroof 11-04-2006 08:01 AM

they are usually set for break in from the factory, you will need to lean it out once the break in is done.

ewaddell82 11-04-2006 08:24 AM

any tips on how to do that?

ehroof 11-04-2006 10:27 AM

break in or tune after break in?

zack221 11-04-2006 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this came straight from the redcat faq thread so im not taking credit for this but it will help you

Probably one of the hardest things to do when you first get into this hobby is learning how to tune your engine. One of the problems I first had when I got into nitro was simply realizing what everything was and where the adjustment screws were. Well anyways, here's a picture of the adjustment screws.

The following are what the factory settings are incase you ended up tuning things to the point where the car won't start anymore:
High Speed Needle (HSN) - Turn the screw all the way down (clockwise) but don't tighten it. Then unscrew it 2 1/2 to 3 turns (Counter Clockwise).
Low Speed Needle (LSN) - Should be flush with the collar.
Idle Screw Adjustment - Take off your air filter and make sure your throttle is at idle. Then make sure that the opening in the carb is about 1mm.

Hope this helps. If anyone wants to add anything to this feel free to.

Blackfoot 11-05-2006 09:23 AM

Want another one for parts? I wasnt impressed with it at all. Hard to keep tuned, Replaced the clutchbell 3 times till I went with a Losi Aftershock Clutchbell, the 2 speed is junk, radio is a terrible and tires suck BIG TIME. I posted on this forum 3 times for some help, the only advise anyone gave me was to get rid of it and get a real truck. So I pulled the servos, motor and reciever and the rest is in a box in storage.

I tried to use the customer service through Redcat and they are very sad when it comes to any help. The only thing they would do is refer me to the parts pages for the faulty parts. i.e. radio had a broken antena wire and had a 20 foot range, clutchbell broke on the first takeoff run of breakin also causing the clutch spring to break. They said if I put fuel in it, it was used and not warrentied. What a joke of a warrenty that is.

Some ppl have had good luck with their Redcats, I myself have had nothing but a headache. I dont want to disuade you from your New Tsunami I just wanted you to be aware of some of the possible problems. Clutchbell should be replaced ASAP with one from HPI. This should help with 1 of the problems you will deffinatly have.

Good luck and enjoy it either way.

zack221 11-05-2006 01:25 PM

also replace the clutch spring with a traxxas 4146x clutch spring b/c the factory one will break quick

ewaddell82 11-05-2006 03:38 PM

how much do you want for it?

ewaddell82 11-05-2006 10:20 PM

just wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to tune after break in?

nitro_racer_1 11-06-2006 11:30 PM

after break in you want to turn the highspeed needle about a quarter to half turn to give the motor a little more power, just remember clockwise= more power but higher temps, counter clockwise= less power but cooler runing, motors arnt ruind by runing them too rich, there ruind by runing them too lean, so the first thing u need to do is buy a new temp gun, a general rule of thumb is the motor should be runing under 300 degrees if its 300 or over the motor is too lead and needs to by richend up (by turing the screw counter clockwise), but remember when making adjustments to the carb always do it in quarter turns or less NEVER in full turns. and if u screw it up u can start over by screwing the needle in clockwise till it starts to tigten up, and then bring it back out about 2 and a half turns. go to www.towerhobbies.com did that make sense or just confuse u lol?

ewaddell82 11-07-2006 12:00 AM

that makes sense i appreciate your help the last car i had i really screwed up so i want to make sure i get it right this time...thanks ag and could you tell me if its bad to change fuel brands as long as their the same percentage??

nitro_racer_1 11-07-2006 12:29 AM

no problem man glad i could help, no it dosent matter as long as u have the first kind ran out of the motor befor u put the new kind in, i recomed sidewinder fule because its the only one i have found that increases power and actualy helps the motor run cooler

nitro_racer_1 11-07-2006 12:31 AM

oh and for now only mess with the highspeed needle, dont mess with the other ones if your not really experienced in tuning u can really screw up the motor fast by doing that, iv been tuning for a long time and i still stay away from the other screws on the carb

ehroof 11-07-2006 08:01 AM

never tune by temprature, here is a good link that will explain everything.

http://www.*********.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm

nitro_racer_1 11-09-2006 08:08 PM

i wasnt telling him to tune by temp, i was simply saying that if the motor is 300 or over its too lean

Erik2424 11-12-2006 02:02 AM

well, im also new to this sport and got 90% of my help from "mozzzy 2000" he is a great guy and will go out of his way to make shure you get your car running, or atleast he did for me. he goes into great detail about what to do and what each thing does. all the help i got can be found on this form: "OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread". look for that form page just out side this one. its has all the info i got and stuff starting on page 54 or you can start on page 1 if ya want, lol, and ask mozzzy about the problems or tuning for your car.

Hope this helps ya.

pg22aw 12-26-2006 07:15 PM

Is the idle adjustment screw really supposed to do anything? I took off my air filter to make sure it was about 1mm.. but the screw doesnt do anything...any help? thanks!!!

ehroof 12-26-2006 07:17 PM

you may have to adjust your throttle trim on the transmitter, even though the idle screw should still adjust the idle.

nitro_racer_1 12-27-2006 12:59 AM

yeah i usualy never touch the other screws besides the high speed needle, and do all my tuning with it, not because i dont know how to adjust the others but just cuz its not nessisary, at least not for me. and i adjust the idle with the trim too.

Kemo 12-27-2006 01:16 AM

Never adjust idle with your trim settings. Learn to use LSN, its the most critical setting.

nitro_racer_1 12-27-2006 01:22 AM

well i do it and with no ill efects and the car is fast enough.

pg22aw 12-27-2006 12:10 PM

How do you know when your car is in the top tuned condition...Like...what is the engine supposed to sound like or I have heard that there is supposed to be a nice trail of blue exauhst....I am still in the process of breaking mine in...

Kemo 12-27-2006 12:14 PM

if the engine is tuned just right, it should explode right off the line. When you go wide open throttle, it shouldn't even struggle, it should wind up and haul ass. If it bogs down, you are too rich on the low speed needle. Your high speed needle controls your high speed performance, and the amount of fuel goes to your low speed needle.