RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Redcat Monsoon Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/6170916-redcat-monsoon-thread.html)

motodude11 12-22-2007 03:00 PM

RE: Redcats Monsoon Thread

just finished putting an integy aluminum roll bar from an lst2 on the monsson i'll post pics sometime tomarrow!!

motodude11 12-22-2007 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here she is with the new integy roll bar!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

Josh

vnmsgt 12-22-2007 11:05 PM

Looks nice! Have any close ups of how you mounted it? Also does the body fit on it?

motodude11 12-23-2007 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yup here are the close ups and yes the body still fits on it too its like a handle with the body on now!! The bracket i made is out of aluminum L stock and on the other side i used the same back side mounting hole from the LST2, then i cut the front one off and made that mounting section flat with the roll bar, i then drilled and tapped a 4-40 hole though the chassis and mounting bracket and bolted that one towards the front of cut and shaved mounting bracket from the lst2. (the body is on a little crooked from the factory so the body on pic from behind looks a little funny sry)

motodude11 12-26-2007 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres some pics with the new (ttr) st-1 side guards on Monsoon

Josh

vnmsgt 12-26-2007 01:35 PM

NICE! Did you have to make your own holes in the sideguards to match up with the frame or did it just bolt on? How much were the sideguards too?

motodude11 12-26-2007 01:56 PM

the side guards are like $10 a pair on amain and as for the holes i had to shave down the mounting spot on the guard (they have little nut locker things on them) with a dremel and then i drilled out the front holes (in the chassis), I used the rear holes from the monsoon mounting spots and im not running bolts in the middle (its stiff enough already). You could drill the holes out on the guards i didnt think of that o well to late now and it already works!:D

sinfony78 12-26-2007 03:19 PM

how's that pipe compare with the stock pipe?

motodude11 12-26-2007 04:05 PM

no idea lol, i haven't even had time to run it at all, i didnt run it with the original pipe either so i wouldnt know.

motodude11 12-28-2007 05:04 PM

where do you guys have your engine low and high speed needles on the sh's? seems like this truck is gunna be insane after its broken in!!!:D

Chubbysdad 12-28-2007 05:50 PM

There is no real final spot on the adjustments. Your location will change your settings.

twomanytoys 12-28-2007 07:07 PM

There are sooo many different variables in settings that no 2 engines will be or can be set the same and run the same. Heat, cold, altitude, humidity etc... You start at base settings and tune from there. Just watch your temps while tuning to make sure it dont get too hot and you will be fine. And yes the sh engine is pretty insane.

vnmsgt 12-29-2007 08:46 AM

All 4 of the SH engines I have run at different settings then each other. Can't really go by that. You can only really go off the stock setting if you are having troubles and start over from there again on your tuning.

vnmsgt 12-29-2007 08:50 AM

Well, dennis I need to know if you have a monsoon fuel tank in stock. I hit the side of a 2x4 coming out of a turn last night after my monsoon slid up onto some pvc sideways and down the pipe into the wood and slammed the pipe into the fuel tank and cracked it. May need more because it also moved my motor over and binding up my clutch bell and spur gear.[:@][:@] And that was after my first lap[X(]

[:@][:@]I HATE PVC!!!!![:@]

motodude11 12-29-2007 11:50 AM

boy im glad i have those side guards and the roll bar lol :D

bbb18c1 01-02-2008 02:25 AM

after reading all these post, I want to pick me up a moonsoon too!

I have a couple of questions though...is the moonsoon much different that the earthquake? I already have an earthquake and if i swap the wheels from the moonsoon to the earthquake will it be much different? The moonsoon looks to me like the earthquake almost except lower and wider.

Can anyone measure their moonsoon for me (outside of wheel to outside of wheel) so I can see how much wider it is than the earthquake (the redcat website dosen't say how wide it is).

Also I was reading about changing it to 12t clutch bell ( I also saw a 11t bell on the site).....what is the tooth count on the stock clutchbell.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the fewer the teeth, the more low end power it will have, but the top speed will be sacrificed. I count on the earthquake 10t and that has pretty good speed already. If I change it to the 12t, then the top speed should be be better right?

TIA

triggeraa 01-02-2008 03:39 AM

I believe the monsoon has longer arms/wider tires. You can install either 15mm or 30mm OFNA hub extenders to suit your needs. I have the Himoto Rancho Pro which is the same as the Earthquake. I ordered the ofna hub extenders, upgraded the stock servos to Hitec HS-645MG and installed a roto start backplate for use with the electric start. I also ordered the new 12T clutchbell from Redcat Racing as well as some blue aluminum upgrade parts from him as well.

vnmsgt 01-02-2008 07:14 AM

Monsoon has longer upper and lower control arms and has a longer chassis front to rear. All the other trucks like the earthquake are based off of the buggy chassis which is shorter. Stock clutch bell is a 10 tooth

bbb18c1 01-02-2008 01:54 PM

hmmm....so the moonsoon is also also has the 10t clutch bell.
I'm pretty much sold on getting one now, but I'm not sure about the clutch bell yet.
Is it worth ~20$ to upgrade to the 12t to gain more top speed? I don't race, just go to the park and bash. Does it lose much low end (acceleration) with the 12t?

I like the snappiness(sp) of the earthquake and don't want to lose that on the moonsoon by upgrading to the 12t, but yet i would love to have better top speed..........dilemmas[sm=50_50.gif].

thanks for the input everybody!

vnmsgt 01-10-2008 07:54 PM

If you are just bashing the 10 tooth will be perfect. The 12 tooth does give you a little more top end but mainly makes the car easier to drive and control in the air on a track for racing.

BTW I finally got my monsoon back together. I ran sideways into a 2x4 and hit the pipe into the gas tank and cracked it in half! Still have not been able to get my brake upgrade I did dialed in yet because of the tank broken but hopefully will get it done this weekend. It has so much braking that it will flip itself over and do a 360 forward if I tap the brakes over a jump and brings the rear wheels up in the air going into a turn. Too much brake to handle.

motodude11 01-12-2008 07:08 PM

alright guys got it running it runs great went out did a little bashing awesome and super fast i just have one problem. The radio seems to glitch aot and kick my fail safe on. [:@] No fun when im running and the break goes on. But I cant figure out why its doing this I just switched from my futaba radio (worked fine no problems with same fail safe) to the redcat Digital FM radio and now its just glitchs a ton!!! Any tips and tricks to reduce the interfernce in these trucks is helpful!!! Thanks

Josh

triggeraa 01-12-2008 08:11 PM

Check for full charge on all batteries. Also check receiver wire for damage. I would have kept the Futaba.

motodude11 01-12-2008 08:31 PM

i woulda but im using the reciever in my tmaxx 3.3 now and thanks i'll check over that. anymore adivse to reduce the interference.

Josh

vnmsgt 01-12-2008 10:17 PM

Make sure your cystals are tight in their place and not loose.

Redharris 01-12-2008 10:24 PM

I just Purchased a Monsoon.Woot Woot!
I read in some thread (cant remember which one) that the 1/10 cars are comming with FM radios now. Is this true?. Does that mean that my Monsoon will be comming with FM as well?