Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Self Taught Pilots

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 11:56 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Self Taught Pilots

Peace is good.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:47 PM
RC-Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YOU GUYS REALLY NEED TO LAY OFF OF FIGHTERBIRD !

Every one of you where seeking help one time or another, and believe me one day you will reenter that zone again. It may not be for RC planes , but you will need help for something and if you get treated the way you guys are treating FIGHTETBIRD , all I can say is you have just reaped what you sowed.

Fighter, your views and ideas are just as important as the next person on RCU. So keep asking question until you obtain the information you need . If not already , some will answer your thread ,that you see eye to eye with and then the ball will keep rolling.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Super D

If your around Athens TX, I would love to at least watch or film it. Heck I'll even let you have a nearly wore out OS FP 40 to use. If your close to me I'm happy to help. At the very least you should have someone with experience fly it 1st, just to trim it out,or maybe tell if the CG is off.
For fun we could sell tickets to your crashing, LOL. Just having fun with ya. Seriously let me know if your close to me I wanna watch.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:46 AM
KyFBCGuy

Tickets?? Heck yea!! Put me down for a pair. Im in on this one!! Video camera is all charged up...Not that it will be a long flight though.

Jeff
Old 04-15-2005, 01:39 AM
kbear

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

YOU GUYS REALLY NEED TO LAY OFF OF FIGHTERBIRD !

Every one of you where seeking help one time or another, and believe me one day you will reenter that zone again. It may not be for RC planes , but you will need help for something and if you get treated the way you guys are treating FIGHTETBIRD , all I can say is you have just reaped what you sowed.

Fighter, your views and ideas are just as important as the next person on RCU. So keep asking question until you obtain the information you need . If not already , some will answer your thread ,that you see eye to eye with and then the ball will keep rolling.
We have all needed help at one point or another. I offered advice, help, and encouragement. I have no problem with his desire to learn on his own. Nor do I have problems with his views on clubs, and not wanting anyone else to fly his plane. When, however I need help and receive it, I don't treat the people who offer it like their out to get me. A blanket statement like " ... and you feel cheated I wouldn't tell you where I live. Buncha predators! " really ticked me off. I was trying to be nice and answer his questions. I didn't say "No way you can do it" or "your a nut for trying". I just offered to help (within the parameters of his request,ie. not fly his plane etc.). My point? Don't ask for help and then treat the people who offer it poorly. I still wish him the best of luck. I still hope he succeeds. I just don't think he wants help.

FighterBird:

I guess the answer to you original question is- yes there a those of us who have learned on our own.
Most, it seems would not suggest it.
If you're determined to do it then go ahead.

What else can I say? good luck.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:12 AM
bruce88123

OK guys, he has apologized. It's time to let it go. If he's willing to bring his plane to one of our fields we would all help him, you know that. Time for peace between all of us on the thread at least, OK?
Old 04-15-2005, 07:16 AM
kbear

Agreed!
Old 04-15-2005, 08:18 AM
experimental_pilot

Agreed
Old 04-15-2005, 08:26 AM
FighterBird873

I don't need anymore offers from people on the internet offering to film me. While i'm sure you are a 'nice guy', it sounds way too creepy.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:31 AM
bruce88123

This would be the time to pretend you didn't see the posting and get on with the PEACE part.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:35 AM
FighterBird873

Agreed!
Old 04-15-2005, 09:57 AM
congo_181

Well, that all took a while to read...

In relation to the question: Can you learn to fly on your own...

Well obviously yes.

Is it a good idea? Probably not.

Being able to not crash is not the same as being able to fly.

I wouldnt have a clue about tip-stalling et al if I didnt belong to a club, not to mention the added safety of tutelage using buddy leads etc.

But thats just my opinion [8D]

Happy safe flying, however you do choose to go about it.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Crashem

Funny thought.... It losses something being told in this medium but picture this comment in respect to being self taught.

What would Clint Eastwood as "Dirty Harry" have to say on this subject.... Maybe

"This is the worlds most powerfull .40 sized glow powered trainer flying at 50-70mph... The question you gots to ask yourself is? Do you feel luky?.... well do ya punk!!!"

I think that best sums up the mulitude of self taught threads
Old 04-15-2005, 01:55 PM
FighterBird873

"Allo, my name is Inigo Montoya, you flew my plane, prepare to die!"

"Now, a clever man would use an instructor to fly his own plane, because he would know that only a great fool would fly his own plane. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not fly the plane in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the plane in front of me.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:10 PM
experimental_pilot

The Princess Bride?

Why doesn't he just stop?!!!
Old 04-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Jbolt

LMAO @ fighterbird873

Looking for that six fingered instructor are we?
Old 04-15-2005, 02:25 PM
bruce88123

At this point I give up. I think he is just looking for a fight. So much for peace.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Crashem

Very good Fighterbird lol... However I especially like the part about the clever man. Just so you know my post was not directed at you I find it hard to believe that the majority of self taught pilots choose that route because they have an aversion to others flying their plane. In the end it does boil down to how lucky one is.

Hopefully you and the plane won't suffer "the pain" and you will come out of this with your ears intact
Old 04-15-2005, 02:30 PM
Rekcin2

Hi Fighterbird,
It took me a while but I read this entire thread.
The reason I did is because I am in exactly the same situation.
I flew on a buddy system maybe 2 hours back in 1990.
I recently got interested again and found the SPAD homepage, because my funds are limited, I went with building a SPAD. I built a SPADET LC40 and it is in my garage with everything hooked up and (apparently) working fine.
Everything is brand new and looks great. I did buy AeroFly Pro Deluxe and also have used FMS quite a bit.
I am in the same boat. I don't know anyone around here, and the Hobby shops that I've been in, the guys seem to be jerks or punks who don't have time to talk to someone who doesn't already know everything. Anyway, I am struggling over whether to just try it myself or not. Reading through this post, has given me what everyone else's feelings are, so please lets not start that over again. I know I will crash and I know it isn't he same as the simulator. I have contacted a club here in town but they only fly on weekdays between 8:00 AM & 5:00 PM. Exactly the hours that I am at work. Nothing on weekends except 2 holidays per year. I haven't made a decision yet, but I will be starting my motor for the first time tonight, and I know it will be tempting to go and give it a try this weekend. So anyway, I just wanted you to know, you are not alone with your struggle. I do plan to join the AMA however, the insurance makes me feel better. And the rules are a good guide. Also, I've been reading everything I can find on R/C. The internet is amazing.

I think after I destroy my SPADET, I'll build a Debonair.

Good Luck Fighterbird, Wish me luck as well, will ya?

Thanks,
Rick

Old 04-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Crashem

Rekcin2,

If you are not adverse to the idea of posting your actual location I would suggest posting in the AMA forum asking for the location of any clubs within a reasonable distance of your location. You could also post in the beginers forum a member willing to help might be closer then you realize If you are not willing to post your location the AMA has a list of chartered clubs there is also a club locator on the web however I don't remember the URL.

Then again if you are just intersted in going it alone good luck
Old 04-15-2005, 02:48 PM
bruce88123

www.modelaircraft.org and then to the charter club locater section
Old 04-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Crashem

Thanks Bruce couldn't remember if it was linked to the AMA site
Old 04-15-2005, 03:17 PM
FighterBird873

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

At this point I give up. I think he is just looking for a fight. So much for peace.

Bruce, laugh. Come one. Just one laugh won't kill ya. Have fun for once. It was a joke! There is still peace. My next quote was gonna be from Scarface or Pulp Fiction... but I understand children frequent this site.

'Say hello to my little SPAD.'

Old 04-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Rekcin2

Thanks guys, I'll give em a look.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:24 PM
bruce88123

FighterBird873- Sorry, didn't see either movie.

Rekcin2- If you can make it to Memphis, I'd be glad to help. Let me know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.