Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

A Beginners Quest

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 03:12 PM
SearchMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A Beginners Quest

FFox,
I will probably add rudder to mine or build another one so I can do knife edge and some other stuff requiring rudder imput.

As for your wheel question, try www.towerhobbies.com - they have everything you would ever need for R/C.

11x6 prop is 11 inch diameter with the pitch being 6.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Muldoer

If you use a 40LA, you should use either a 10x6 or an 11x4. You'll get more thrust out of the 11x4, and the 40LA is more of a torquing engine than a rev engine so it should like it better. 10x6s are the standard do it all props for anything in the .40 cu in range.

As SM pointed out, the 11 is the diameter and the 6 is the (theoritical) pitch.

Although, I still have reservations about you wanting to fly a Dogfighter as a first plane. And the radio, well you can get the hitec Laser 6 channel with 4 standard servos for 140$ on Tower, plus 3 micro servos if you want them at 16.50 each will get you a fine setup for 205$

If you still plan on getting a 40LA, its all good because you can build a BUHOR 25 for it.

good luck with the crashing...I mean...flying.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:30 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I will probably add rudder to mine or build another one so I can do knife edge and some other stuff requiring rudder imput.
I've not flown a dogfighter, but I've built three spads with similar dimensions. You will probably not be happy with the dogfighter trying to do a knife edge. The short tail provides very little rudder authority, and the fuselage provides very little aerodynamic lift from the side. As has been previously stated in this thread, the dogfighter is a combat plane, not precision aerobatics.

But good luck trying!

Brad
Old 06-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Chikokishi

The hitec radio, it comes with 4 standard. and i can ADD 3 micro? that would be 7 servos? Or did i misunderstand that?

Search: How did you score your wing? i just cut mine infront of the dowel and above it, it seems a little weak i think, i put tape around mine. Also, did you have a problem with the 2mil lining up? or was taking the dowel out enough to remedy that?

My airplanes body is nearly compleate. tonight or sometime soon im going to order the engine. After i get paid (the picture is where i work) ill buy the radio and equipment. I hope to finish this soon. And i hope my electric comes back soon - im wanting to fly

-Fox
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88637.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	291331  
Old 06-28-2005, 08:38 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

What CHRIS said is all HOG WASH , he just needs someone to disagree with because he's afraid to disagree with his boss.
You ever get your SimplePAD to fly RC? Just let your fans know so no one thinks your opinions are "HOG WASH" or anything like that. Just a bit of advice to help you bolster your credibility and suport your fan base. Like the rest of your many suporters I am anxiously waiting for updates.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:36 PM
RC-Captain

You ever get your SimplePAD to fly RC?
My What ? , and why do you have to always chime in on grown folks business. Me and chris have a love hate relationship. He loves to hate me so let us work it out with out the extra baggage .Thank You.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:19 AM
Muldoer

Well you want 3 micros for your Dogfighter, ideally. You can keep the standards for other projects. I did that when I bought my first radio. It came with 4 standards and got 3 micros for the plane I was going to fly. When I got tired of my little airplane and wanted to move to the bigger .40 size stuff, I already had the servos waiting. No need to order another set of servos.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:35 AM
SearchMan

FFox-
I scored the leading edge as per plans, I used a small Phillips screw driver. I've been told the leading edge dowel is only necessary for combat (I'm not sure it's even needed for combat - I've seen a number of Dogfighters used in combat that don't use the dowel).

Name:	Ec88738.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	291643  
Old 06-29-2005, 04:27 PM
ChrisSpad

the only thing the dowel in the leading edge does is to help stop someone else's prop from slicing through your wing during a midair. If your not flying combat, its really not necessary at all.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:43 PM
RC-Captain

This has to be one of the cleanest SPAD planes I have ever seen . I assume you flew it already ? And how did you do the graphics on the wing ? paint ? . GJ

RCF esq.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:46 PM
SearchMan

Thanks Fiend!

I've flown it a bunch! It still looks almost as good as the photo (bottom of fuse is scuffed up and stained a little). I probably took that photo after a couple of flights. I mixed 50% windshield washer fluid with 50% rubbing alcohol (91%) to clean it with - works great with no residue.

The graphics are all hand cut out of sign graphic stick on plastic. I printed the Iron Cross from my PC and made a template - very easy. Sprayed wing with windex, placed Iron Cross where I wanted it and then squeeged bubbles and windex out from under the graphics.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Chikokishi

Search:

What do you mean you scored per plans? They dont day how to score or anything they jsut say "score as needed" shich i thought that ment to cut part of the corpplast so that its bend. This isat right obviosuly, Howd you use a screwdriver?

-Fox
Old 06-29-2005, 10:07 PM
ChrisSpad

some plans are much more detailed than others. This is one of the main reasons that its suggested so often to build one of the trainers - specifically the debonaire or spadet to start with. The plans are very detailed, and will help you learn how to work with coro and gutterpipe - something the combat plans simply don't do. I highly suggest that you read through the debonaire plans thoroughly - most if not all of the problems your having would be explained by examining these plans.

Here's a picture of Tattoo scoring a wing:

http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/De...page_2021a.JPG
Old 06-29-2005, 10:19 PM
DLSmith2

Fox,

Looking better all the time! I like your full scale job in the background, too!

Searchman,

Beautiful Dogfighter! Very slick! Mine is on channel 36 too, guess you're safe for now, we can't fly in the same heat![X(]

Blue skies,

DL
Old 06-29-2005, 10:20 PM
RC-Captain

sign graphic stick on plastic
Did you find this stuff in the sign shop ?
Old 06-30-2005, 12:18 AM
Chikokishi

Lol thanks DL

I ran into one of the people from here today at work actually. It turns out one of the people i met on here knew my mom, and worked across teh street from me. And i didnt know till today, lol! So i think i might have got set up with a older engine and radio atlest untill i get my own. So i might have my plane up and flying before too much longer. I have an idea for adding tail dragger to my plane, but i cant upload a bmp on here. If you would like to view these Pm me.

-Fox
Old 06-30-2005, 12:40 AM
DLSmith2

RC-FIEND,

I went to a local sign shop and showed him what I wanted coro and sign vinyl for; an airplane not a sign. When he saw that I wasn't going to make a sign and take away from his business, he warmed up to the idea and showed me his scrap bin. When they make signs they have scrap that they don't use, and save it for teachers with projects for their kids, etc. I got a bunch of all different colors, holographic stuff, reflective stuff and all for free. I even offered to put him on a buddy box and let him fly the final project, but he hasn't taken me up on it.

I've had the same vinyl on two planes for over two years and it's just now starting to come up at the edges.

Take a wing into a sign shop and show 'em what you need the vinyl for, and I bet you might have a new SPAD RC student to boot!

Blue skies,

DL
Old 06-30-2005, 04:31 PM
SearchMan

DL,
Let me know when you are flying and I'll turn my radio off!
Old 06-30-2005, 06:13 PM
RC-Captain

Thanks DL I visited the sign shop where I bought 4mm coro, but they were closed and only take appointments for weekend hours. Next time I go, I will show the lady the DDust I made and maybe she will warm up to me [:-]

RCF esq.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Chikokishi

I checked out my signshop - they were jsut closing so they were rushin out. But they tol dme they cold sell me a 4x8 4 mil for 25$!! i think that buying for harbor - where i can get 2 2mils and a 4 mil for 21$ and paying for shippings is MUCH better. I have a nwe work space set up downstairs...really nice desktop - like 5x5'. or something simular. And if im waiting for my glue to dry, i can just turn around and play drums or something . I finally got my plans converted to JPG, so i can post them here now i believe. I made this up a couple days ago while i was working on our RV-10. i think it a good idea - im sure someones made it up before me.

-Fox

Name:	Bz77486.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	292501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84474.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	292502  
Old 07-01-2005, 07:25 PM
rrh

i can just turn around and play drums or something
Or play with your stuffed animals I like that pink one

Nice work space, enjoy it[8D]

rrh
Old 07-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Muldoer

Make your tail wheel bracket into an 'L' and poke it in through the flutes of the rudder. Bring it down through the hinge on the elevator and just bend it to recieve the wheel... I'll try to find a pic.

Oh, and love the poster of the babe. I need one over my work area.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:52 PM
DLSmith2

Fox,
Cool work shop!

rrh,
Dibs on the blue one!

Muldoer,
You want that picture of my MOM over your work area?[X(]

Blue skies,

DL
Old 07-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Chikokishi

Haha! I thought youd all enjoy the randomness of my area. Too bad tou cant see the other side, my mom has elk skins and tanning supplies everywhere, and i have a tone more stuffed animals. Muldoer, i think i understand your directions, not quite though, a picture would be great!

-Fox
Old 07-02-2005, 12:29 AM
DLSmith2

Fox,

Here's a pic that ChrisSpad showed me a while ago. You just run a piece of music wire up through the elevator hinge, and rudder hinge, bend it 90* and stick the bent end through the flutes in the rudder. It may work better if it goes through the rudder between the control horn base and the control horn. The bottom is just a tail skid, but you can put a 90* bend in the bottom and put a wheel on, then a wheel collar and a piece of fuel tubing CA'd to the wire to lock everything on. This works like a charm and has survived literally hundreds of take offs and landings in a grass cow pasture (beware of the moo-moo poo-poo![X(][:'(]).

Blue skies,

DL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.