Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

u can do spad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 09:53 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default u can do spad?

has anyone ever made a ucando type spad?,i really like 3d planes but ive been told a spad3dt isnt for a second plane.i luv the ucando but over here they cost a lot of money so i was hoping someone has built a spad version?.if so plans would be great thanks.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:40 PM
dbruening80
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: u can do spad?

I think the Spazzler or Spad Extra would be as close as you would find with plans already drawn.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:26 PM
martno1fan

cheers for that do you know where i can find the plans for the spazzler?,ive seen the extra plans.also do you know of any videos of either?.thanks for your help!!.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Spadinator

Goto http://www.rcspads.com for the spazzler plans. Just look under the plans section and then on page 10 about half way down.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:45 PM
martno1fan

thanks for that could you tell me how the spazzler flies?,she looks great !!.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:39 PM
acam37
My Feedback: (16)

Martno1fan, If you are looking for a 3D plane neither the spad extra or the spazzler may not be what you are looking for. They are way too heavy unless you put at least a .90 up front. I designed the spad extra and also built the spazzler. They are both great general purpose aerobatic planes but not really made to 3D. That's the one drawback with coroplast. Tough as nails but a lot heavier than balsa. If you can't find what you are looking for you can always start from scratch and design your own plane. The possibilities are endless.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:53 AM
martno1fan

thanks acam i supose im looking for a fun fly type plane rather than a true 3d plane,building from balsa isnt a problem but id rather have something i can throw arround without the worry that im gonna bust it lol!!.as long as it hovers ill be happy id like a plane i can fly in a smallish area that i can hover and just mess arround.would the qhor be a good choice ?.i have an os 46 la looking for a home!!would that be ok if i built the qhor for the 30 size as i realise the la isnt a powerhouse!!.if i built either of the others id need to buy a bigger engine.
i have built balsa planes from plans before but i like the idea of a strong plane that i know wont break easy!!.im open to ideas as i enjoy building but im not good at drawing plans!!the qhor looks like it might be a good choice but im not sure if it hovers or not?.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:36 AM
dbruening80

Going from a trainer to hovering/3D is a big jump. Try the QHOR. I would build the .40 size and use the 46la, yes, it is no powerhouse but should be ok. Use a 11*4 apc or possibly 10*4 apc prop. Learn how to fly with a high angle of attack on the wing (nose up attitude) you'll learn what the rudder is for very quickly. Learn how to harrier. This is a good starting point for learning 3-d aerobatics. The QHOR will fly more like a conventional airplane as well. Once you've mastered the QHOR, give the SPA3D a try. You will want something with more power than the LA for the 3D
Old 09-23-2005, 11:02 AM
martno1fan

thanks for that mate i think ill build one!!,ill try what youve suggested too cheers.are there any photos anywhere of the build procces i have some plans but it would be nice to look at some pics of the build?.thanks again also would you suggest the qhor with a profile fuse?would that make it more stable?.sorry for all the questions!!.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:40 PM
dbruening80

just look at the plans section of spadtothebone for build pics, they're pretty self explanitory. Go ahead and add the profile fuse, will add a bit of stability and look a lot better
Old 09-24-2005, 02:10 AM
martno1fan

thanks i found the plans and pics !!,i will add a profile fuse thanks again.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:14 PM
SearchMan

Check out this Coro Edge 540 doing some 3D. http://media.putfile.com/huckin-the-spad_0001
Old 09-25-2005, 04:35 PM
martno1fan

cheers cool video,cool plane!!.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:32 PM
flightcrazed
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Thats my vid!!! lol that plane is awsome... tho its not with us any longer. I built another one a few weeks ago. VERY stable plane, flies better than my twist and magic fun fly!! Glad ya'll liked the vid, I would highly recomend this plane..

Thom
Old 09-25-2005, 05:56 PM
ChrisSpad

ORIGINAL: flightcrazed

Hi,

Thats my vid!!! lol that plane is awsome... tho its not with us any longer. I built another one a few weeks ago. VERY stable plane, flies better than my twist and magic fun fly!! Glad ya'll liked the vid, I would highly recomend this plane..

Thom
I'm glad you like it - i still like mine.

I spent the afternoon looking at the design - and redesigning it with a tubular fuselage. That would make it nearly indestructable - and i think that i can keep the weight about the same - if you swiss cheesed the tube, then i think you could lighten it a bit from the current design.

The downside is that i haven't actually built it. But, if there's alot of interest, i think i will. Basicly, same wing, fuse shape, and tail feathers, but with a Spa3dt tube fuse, and hdpe motor mount. The only update on the wing will be the spar - it'll have to have a plate glued in place to support the wing, and instead of the yardstick, i'll use carbon fiber tubes to stiffen the fuse up.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:04 PM
flightcrazed
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well.... what are you waiting for......lol !! That sounds like a plan, I was wondering if it could be done like that, just don't know how to attach the wing to the tubular fuse, I would for sure be interested in a "lighter design... I was thinking about scaling my next one down a little.. Maybe make the wing 42" or so, to make a lighter version, would this work you think? My dad built one and put a 60 on it... its ballistic!! I'd like to see one with a 46 pull out like that.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:50 PM
SearchMan

I'm interested alot if that counts! Well, at least there are two of us plus you Chris.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:54 PM
ChrisSpad

i've got an undetailed set of plans drawn. I'll be happy to share what i have drawn. Tomorrow afternoon, i'll try to add some details to them - to make them more self explanatory - like what type of coro, and how to run the flutes etc. I'll take some screen shots and post them as soon as i get it all done. If you guys want a dxf file of what i have - send me an email and i'll forward them to you - [email protected]
Old 09-26-2005, 01:25 PM
SJMILLER

I have only built a couple of spad planes so I am not all that familiar with all the different plans, but if you are really wanting to be able to hover and learn the 3d moves on you second plane then I would say build the 3d that you mentioned in your original post. I have built one of these and it flies great. Just because it can be set up to fly extreme doesn't mean you have to set it up that way to start. I have taken my 3d and dialed down the throws and moved the CG forward so that I can use it to let inexperienced pilots get a feel for spad planes and it is a well mannered as any sport aerobatic plane should be. Just remember not to fly it to fast. Besides if you build it and don't like it you have wasted all of $10 and 3 or 4 hours. I think you'll love it though. BTW I built a QHOR for my 1st spad and I really like the way my 3d flies better, but this could have been my lack of experience with theses types of planes. Good Luck!