Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

World Models Spitfire (Pylon Racer)

Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

World Models Spitfire (Pylon Racer)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 09:44 PM
pjakew
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Models Spitfire (Pylon Racer)

Picked up one of the WM (pylon series)Spitfires for racing. Any additional reinforcements needed on this, or am I good to go. Not sure if I needed to fiberglass the main wing joint or not. This is for silver btw.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:36 AM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C'mon Jake, really?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-racing-183/11631914-how-prevent-nose-over-problem-world-model-spitfire-warbird-racer.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CstTDgC9ms0

Last edited by Tommy_Gun; 12-01-2016 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:34 AM
dan kelly

Nice looking plane. I like how you recovered it in Silver. Engine sounds good too. Thanks for the look see and the video. The plane was designed
as a Gold Racer so I don't think you have any worries slowing it down for Silver.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:16 AM
Tommy_Gun

It has been proven that an old ys91fz is all you need in this plane for silver.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:51 AM
Trashman88

It was the silver winner of the 2016 Trashman and YS Classic. Still trying to figure out if it was the plane or the pilot that made it win. Lol. I think more of the pilot skills..........

Build it stock and I did not fiberglass the wing, just glued it and it runs great.

I did not have any problems with nose over. Just run a higher rate on takeoff and landing and it will be great for you. (No punt attended Tommy) .
Old 12-04-2016, 04:44 AM
dan kelly

What do you mean by run a higher rate on takeoff and landings? Higher rate of what, throws or rpm?
Old 12-04-2016, 07:01 AM
Trashman88

When I take off or land, I flip the elevator swirch to med rate and when i am racing, my elevator is on low rate. That gives me just enough elevator so it does not nose over.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:10 AM
Tommy_Gun

Sure, go ahead, leave the gear where they are stock.

Don't blame me when you botch the takeoff in that critical points race because you forgot what switch to throw where.

Logically, it's easier to build the plane so that's not a worry.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:28 AM
dan kelly

Thanks . Mine is still in the box because of this issue. A guy from our field bent his gear forward and widened the gear hole forward. Works good
for him. I'm still undecided. Might just throw it together and see what happens. Thanks again for your input, maybe I'll try that.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:16 PM
Trashman88

Put it together. You will love it!!!!
Old 12-04-2016, 05:11 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Hmmm I am running the Red/White Phoenix Models Strega with a YS70 at over 3000' and running consistently right at 2:00. I would think you could run even lower than a YS91 ? That Spitfire wing is far better than my PHX Strega is.
Dan, On my Spit from WM I left the gear alone, built it stock and had no issues. I sold the plane and that guy had no issues on take off or landing. A lot of it has to do with how you treat the throttle. These Spits like to be "Eased" into the throttle or they will nose over as Tommy says. Some guys just get careless on the throttle and firewall that thing and to be honest, many planes out there will give you issues doing this. My Spit in the stock location was one of the best landing plane I ever had.

I too like JR utilize dual rates, I always have and always will. I learned this in Giant Scale (it is a must) and it just carried over to warbird for me at least. In fact I set my plane up on 3 rates, due to racing them Shaw kids every time I go to No Cal.
Take off - High rates on ail and elev both
Racing Shaws - Middle rates
Racing most others- low rates
Landing - low rates

Like I said each person has a routine (hopefully)
If you don't have a routine you will eventually get in trouble as you need to approach
racing as a consistent program.

Many of the top pilots take off, race and land all on same rates.
I cant, cause if I break my routine, I will stumble when I race the Giants.

It works for me- do what works for you.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:43 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also use multiple rates for racing. High rates for take off and landing on elevator, mid or low rates on elevator depending upon conditions.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:36 AM
dan kelly

Thanks again for the input guys. I'll start gluing. Missed you in Tucson Marty. We had an excellent turnout and everyone had a great time. I didn't race myself but called for first place in Silver and 3rd place in Bronze. My son left early .....Too fast and too many cuts. Boy just don't listen. Tony Lopez and his buddy Roy were fast fast with those vendetta's. The electrics were just as fast and the racing in Gold was tense. Tony of course took Gold. Alright, thanks
again for the inputs.....gotta break out the epoxy.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:15 AM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Go Vendetta Go YS Go TONY
Old 12-15-2016, 07:16 AM
dan kelly

Sorry Marty but my budget won't allow it.......if I go anywhere it'll be the Salvation Army.....ha! Of course you could donate one to Timpa.org and I'm sure between me , Steve, John, Mike, and Richard we'd put it to good use. You could even write it off on your taxes since we're non profit....
Old 12-19-2016, 07:33 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Many guys do not have any problems with the WM spitfires on take off or landing. two people I know of had issues so I am putting that on take off technique more than anything. The main thing is try it stock first and if you have some issues look it over and see why then if need to make a change. On some of my spitfires I bent the gear backwards so that it lands better.