Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

F/A 18 Hornet scratch built

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 10:00 PM
sina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F/A 18 Hornet scratch built

i worked on this from July 7th (when the family went down the shore and left me all alone) through to August 12th. Took a few pictures here and there to remind me of the project.

It was my first scratch building job so i am kinda proud of it.

It is a 42" span Mike Pascarel plan from RCM of about ten years ago. A .46 FX with a 10X6 pusher and a Perry osc pump (fuel tank is in the middle of the fuse for balance). No rudder! but once it takes off you DO NOT MISS IT - on a windy day when coming in you may wish you had them.

Anyway, all the fellows at the field flying their look alike ARF have been drooling - can you tell that I am proud of it.

It has about 10 flights on it. My only gripe is that the engine overheats constantly during taxi, though it lands cool when rich - no prop wash to cool it when static.

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86846.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	184112  
Old 10-19-2004, 12:26 AM
crash_expert
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: F/A 18 Hornet scratch built

Nice Job. I am full of envy. Do you know if those plans are still around. I have been looking for a set for some time now?
Old 10-19-2004, 07:32 PM
bash-ace-RCU
My Feedback: (16)

Looks great! I have .60 size plans for the pusher Hornet that I hope to build someday, hopefully it comes out as nice as yours.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:31 PM
sina

the plans can still be purchased from RCM web site. There is a .60 and a .40 size version. Mine is the .40 .

follow the link below:

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...=plans:pl-1090

Mike Pastro the designer will even include the bill of materials too. Very easy.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:49 PM
sina

Well the inevitable happened! All repairable, BUT i GOTTA LEARN TO TUCK AWAY THAT CHARGE LEAD OR IT'LL GET CAUGHT IN THE ELEVATOR SERVO AND MAKE YOUR PLANE WANT TO DIVE[&o]
Old 10-30-2004, 10:43 PM
chicagomatt

After on look at your Hornet, I went and dug out my plans that have been sitting for about 9 years, and am gonna give building my first plane a shot. Will hang it in my son's room. Planning on using Blue Angel Colors. No need to build a real one since havent even learn to fly yet. If mine turns out half as good a yours I will be one happy camper.