Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Is there really a need to mess with laser cutting parts?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Is there really a need to mess with laser cutting parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 11:57 PM
Lazer Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there really a need to mess with laser cutting parts?

Hi there guys! I dont know if any of you have ever thought of saving time with laser cut parts, but I sure like em!
Old 01-18-2002, 06:10 AM
mwtrull

What sort of fit do you recommend between a notch and a spar?

Assuming a .250" square spar I would expect to provide a full .250" notch depth but undersize the sides slightly to get a tight fit. Is this what you recommend? How much should the sides be undersized?

Thanks,

Michael
Old 01-18-2002, 05:17 PM
Lazer Works

I draw the notches to .24 all the way around... the laser beam is .oo3... it works out to a nice tight fit all the way around .

Jesse
Old 01-18-2002, 06:55 PM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Laser cutting needs

I have yet to see anything better than laser-cut parts ! My last 2 models wers a Mystery Ship from Bob Martin (laser-cut) and a FLair Products ASK8. Although the ASK8 kit from Flair is a very well engineered kit, it is way below the quality and fit of the parts in the Mystery Ship kit. This was my very first experience with a laser-cut kit, and now I'm hooked !
So much, that for my next project, a DFS Reiher from a plan, I will get myself a set of laser-cut ribs and formers, probably from Lazer Works.
I realize that there is agreat deal of money involved, but I think that the kit manufacturers schould switch from die-cutting (or die-crushing, in some cases) to laser cutting.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:23 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

I too am sold on laser cut parts... I just got plans for a Menace and I couldn't stand the idea of trying to get perfect ribs and sub ribs hand cut for the thing... there are 9 notches in each rib and it would have been difficult to acheive the quality I'll get with laser cutting... So... I redid the plans in AutoCad and sent the out for cutting... Awesome pricing...
Old 01-18-2002, 08:30 PM
Lazer Works

Yeah< I know what you mean about the CAD files.... its alot cheaper for the customers and easier for me to cut if your parts are already drawn into the vector format... although I can and will draw them from scans.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:26 PM
TomL-RCU

Default Laser cutting required

What is the maximum length that you lasre will cut ?, I am looking to have two kits that I produce laser cut, rather than cutting them my self.
They are of a Weeks Solution in a 42%(90" span) and 33%(72" span) size. At this time I roter cut all plywood parts and band saw/sand all balsa parts.

www.SIModels.com
Old 01-20-2002, 10:30 PM
TomL-RCU

Sorry for some of the spelling errors, anyway I can provide vector drawings of the Weeks Solution.

Thanks
Tom
Old 01-22-2002, 04:46 PM
Lazer Works

Default awesome kit TomL!

WOW! I would love to help you out by cuttin the parts for that kit! Unreal plane! I emailed you with dimensions. For those interested the table I use is 32 inch by 18 inches. I like the cockpit placement on your Weeks Solution!
Old 03-28-2002, 11:47 PM
Richard Smart

Default Re: Laser cutting needs

Originally posted by MTT
I have yet to see anything better than laser-cut parts ! My last 2 models wers a Mystery Ship from Bob Martin (laser-cut) and a FLair Products ASK8. Although the ASK8 kit from Flair is a very well engineered kit, it is way below the quality and fit of the parts in the Mystery Ship kit. This was my very first experience with a laser-cut kit, and now I'm hooked !
So much, that for my next project, a DFS Reiher from a plan, I will get myself a set of laser-cut ribs and formers, probably from Lazer Works.
I realize that there is agreat deal of money involved, but I think that the kit manufacturers schould switch from die-cutting (or die-crushing, in some cases) to laser cutting.
Lets just put both Laser and CNC Router cutting in context here. We at Flair, (re. ASK8 designers/manufacturers), use routing and die cutting for our kits. Now in an ideal world we would probably use only CNC but there is absolutely no comparrison when it comes to time of manufacture. CNC routing takes at least 20 times as long as die cutting. Now there is no such thing as a free lunch so this means a greater kit price. So it up to you guys, do you want to pay considerably higher prices?
As regards the ASK8 the parts fit accurately, I don't hear complaints and the finished aircraft flies like a dream and is a good scale representation of the real aircraft. The new Flair Stearman at 89" is a combination of die cutting and CNC routing and I think you will find it hard to get better value. have a look www.flairproducts.co.uk Email me if you like, [email protected]
Richard Smart, Director - Design and Marketing, Flair Products Ltd
Old 03-29-2002, 04:17 AM
MTT

Default Die cutting - Laser cutting

@ Richard :
Don't get me wrong : In no way did I mean to imply that the ASK8 kit is of low quality or not worth its money !
Like I said, I think it is a very well engineered kit, and if you ever come out with another kit for a scale glider like the ASK, I will be one of the first to get in line to get one !
However, I had to do quite some sanding and filing to do especially on the fuselage formers, in order to get them to fit perfectly, and that is where I noted the difference when compared to laser-cutting.
If my first post sounded like I was complaining about that, that was not my intention ! I think thats just part of building a Sailplane like the ASK8 from a kit !
And yes , you are right : It is a money issue, and I know that a laser-cut or all CNC-router cut kit of the ASK would be a lot more expensive.

Michael
(who is still waiting for decent weather for the ASK's maiden flight ! )
Old 03-30-2002, 09:19 AM
Richard Smart

Default Laser, CNC routing and die cutting

OK Michael thanks for that. One thing you can help me with and any other glider guiders over there as well. What would you choose for our next glider. I like elegant looking gliders but built up construction; that's why we did the ASK8. We think maybe we should do a two seater next and I am keen on a Bergfalke 4. Any takers?
Old 03-30-2002, 10:55 PM
MTT

Default Scale glider

Richard, a Bergfalke IV certainly would be nice !
And it would be something not everybody has ! I know of several Ka6 kits, for example, but none of the Bergfalke.
When it comes to 2-seaters, I also like the Ka7 and ASK13
i know of one kit for a ASK13, but its only 2.73 meters wing span, a 1/4 scale version would be nice !

Regards, Michael
Old 04-02-2002, 10:37 PM
Richard Smart

Default New 1/4 scale kit suggestions

Thank you Michael. All contributions welcome. I prefer the ASK13 to the Bergfalke by a small margin but we have already done the Schleicher K8 so that's what is steering me away from the 13. However if you are all desperate for one let me know.
Old 04-02-2002, 10:42 PM
MTT

I like the looks of the 13 more than those of the Bergfalke.
However, a Bergfalke would be something out of the ordinary, since there are lots of Schleicher's around !

Michael