Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

solid model

Old 01-20-2006, 07:42 AM
troyhm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solid model

Hi Everyone

I have created a part or solid model of a curved turtle deck. I want to slices at certian locations to match the positions of the formers and get the curve to match. Is there a way to do this ???

Thanks

Troy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87947.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	391421  
Old 01-20-2006, 11:26 PM
dicknadine

Default RE: solid model

suggest that you start over. cut the blank to match the fuselage contour, 1st, then start shaving the contour to match the fuselage on the other sides, etc. it all trial and error. dick
Old 01-24-2006, 12:00 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Depending on the constroction methods (assuming either a block,or a lofted solid) and a typical '3d modeller package, set your 'work plane' to the underside of teh block. (Also assuming it is a flat surface.) Draw a rectangle and dimention it to cut away all of the block, save teh front 1/8" (or whatever your intended thickness). 'Extrude though' to cut it all away except that little sliver on the front. Save this new block as 'former 'A'. repeat, but the oppocite end for former 'X' (last former)

For middle fomers, do teh same, but use two rectangles, to trim away the front portin, and the back portion. Do this as required to remove the materials untill you have a series of formers as you intend.

Old 01-24-2006, 03:25 PM
jvigani

If you are using SolidWorks, (looks like you might be) just insert a new plane where you want the former to be. Start a new sketch on that plane and use the Intersection Curve function under Sketch Tools. This will create a sketch with the exact outline you want. Copy this sketch into a new part and extrude the thickness you want the former to be. Cut out any notches, holes, etc and your done.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:06 AM
flyintexan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Solidworks question:

If you do as you say with the sketch to create a seperate, new part file.....will the new part be parametrically linked to the original turtle deck section.......just in case the outer shape of the turtle deck is changed at a later date?...

TIA,
mark
Old 01-30-2006, 09:13 PM
jvigani

No, the part will not automatically change. If you want the part to change parametrically, you need to creat the new part within an assembly. I didn't know how familiar you were with the assembly mode. Start a new assembly, insert the turtle deck part. Make sure its position is "Fixed." Create the new plane as before where you want the new part to be. Use the create new part function. Select the new plane as the new part sketch plane and use the intersection curve feature as before to get the sketch profile. Extrude the sketch as before and you now have the new former base shape. You can cut holes and notches in the new former to get its final shape. Just be careful not the break the link to the turtle deck if you make cuts in the original profile. When your done, exit the "edit part" mode. The assembly now has 2 parts, the turtle deck and the former, and the former profile will then change as the turtle deck profile changes. If you change the transparancy of the turtle deck you will be able to see the former.

Name:	Ca81556.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	398804  
Old 01-31-2006, 01:37 AM
flyintexan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jvigani,

Thank you for the informative answer. I have become proficient using Solid Edge and I now I would like to get better with Solid Works and your information helps a great deal.

THanks again,
mark

Name:	Ig13503.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	399004  
Old 01-31-2006, 02:43 PM
jvigani

flyintexan:

Nice job on your computer model. Did you build it yet? FYI, I tried a number of solid modelers over the years and had a subscription to Mechanical Desktop and Inventor as well as SolidWorks. When I wanted to model something though I always seemed to use the SoildiWorks because I found it more user freindly and the dealer was VERY supportive. It became my modeler of choice and I use it pretty much exclusively now. Still retain an AutoCad license for 2D stuff though. I think you'll enjoy using the SolidWorks.