Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Turbo Beaver Float flight

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Turbo Beaver Float flight

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 07:39 PM
Smoky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Beaver Float flight

OK flew this 8 footer with an OS .60 2 stoke on wheels, takes about a 50 foot runway.
On Floats! takes about 200 feet and needs some rocking to get it up, but was better after I used flaps.
Installed a Saito .91 Golden Knight, inverted. and run in on ground, then a few flights on wheels before leaning out.
It uses about 12 feet of runway to take-off with full flaps. and about 18 feet with no flaps. weeeee.

I reinstalled the floats, and flew it on water. The engine ran flawlessly. sounded awesome too.
I practiced taxi'ing a bit, and then went about 2/3 rds throttle, dropped the flaps and,,, the plane lifted effortlessly out of the water. surprised me as I was expecting to have to wait for more speed.

Done some scale slow speed flying, then went radical, Immilmans, snap rolls, Loops, hammerhead stalls! This thing has almost unlimited vertical! even with floats. I could hear the kids on the beach squealing everytime I done a radical move! Loved it.

Meanwhile the wind kept getting stronger, and this thing flies about 40 minutes per tank. average on 1/2 throttle. 16 oz tank.
I put 1800 Ma Batteries in the plane, so I don't have to worry about low batts.

After Landing, I ran out of film, and was taxi'ing it back when the wind got under one wing and rolled me over in the water. awww!

retrieved it. left it upside down until the water drained out. and then turned engine over slowly to expell any water it took.

re-started it. set it back down in the water, left it idling.
went to pull up the boat anchor. and the wind tipped it over again. (heavy sigh...). retrieved it again. called it a day. went home. re-installed the wheels and went flying it that evening.

GOlly Gee Gosh! I love this plane. LOL

I posted a bunch of photo's in the Gallery! and some showing the False Belly pan that allows me to change from floats to wheels in about 15 minutes.

Smoky.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	103768_41785.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	58450  
Old 08-22-2003, 10:43 PM
Jollidude
My Feedback: (39)

Default Turbo Beaver

Nice plane Smokey!

The Turbo Beaver is on my to do list as well, in the colors of my abitar. I'm presently flying the 6' radial version from Unionville Hobbies.

Cheers!

Jollidude
Old 08-22-2003, 11:42 PM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smoky, looks great and I'm happy that you're having so much fun. I should have my radial Beaver done by the end of this weekend. Just need to get 5 more hinges at the local hobby shop and finish painting the cowl. Got some custom made decals done locally for under $20 that matches a Beaver I flew in a couple years ago. I'll post some pics soon.........Seaplane
Old 08-23-2003, 01:14 AM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Smoky
I checked out your galery, liked the idea on the landing gear. Nice looking beaver. How did your ballance come out with the Saito 91? I tried to order the Turbo kit from Great Hobbies and it is on back order.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:12 AM
Smoky

Originally posted by Baldeagle
Smoky
I checked out your galery, liked the idea on the landing gear. Nice looking beaver. How did your ballance come out with the Saito 91? I tried to order the Turbo kit from Great Hobbies and it is on back order.
Baldeagle the Saito was a bit heavier than the OS .60 so when I installed the engine, I also installed the 1800 MA Batteries and put them in the rear of the Servo bay. It was almost too much tho.

It works good with the wheels, and is a perilous even balance (almost level @ the wing spar) with the Floats.
However My TrueTurn aluminum spinner Crankshaft nut would not fit the Saito so I am waiting for the nut.
When I get the spinner Mounted way out front, this should Help the nose drop some. I am Thinking I may add some weights to the bow of the floats if need be. It won't be so aerobatic anymore, but easier to control I think.

Jollidude: thanks for the compliment
I never thought I would like this thing sooo much!
Can't wait to hear about some of your episodes! LOL

seaplane:
Thanks! and I'm looking forward to your pics.
I Wonder where I got these gorgeous floats from!? LOL

Thinking Back,,, I remember the flaps being down Both times it rolled over,, H'mm,,, I wonder if this may have helped the wind get under and roll it over? Just a thought.

*note to self* I will have to try raising the flaps as soon as I don't need em anymore.. LOL

Smoky.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:35 AM
viperred

Default Re: Turbo Beaver Float flight

Originally posted by Smoky
OK flew this 8 footer with an OS .60 2 stoke on wheels, takes about a 50 foot runway.
On Floats! takes about 200 feet and needs some rocking to get it

Smoky.
WHAT CAN I SAY .. SWEETNESS!!! Thanks for the post! I enjoyed reading it!

Paul A.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:47 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Flaps up after landing should help. It does on full scale. What is the distance between centres of floats? It should be about 20% of the wingspan.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:06 PM
Smoky

Originally posted by 4*60
Flaps up after landing should help. It does on full scale. What is the distance between centres of floats? It should be about 20% of the wingspan.
Scale Plans show em at 17 inches. Mine register 19 1/2 inches.

20% of 80" wingspan = 16"
I read someone's article on floats,,, (Howard I think but don't remember). who recomended 25% of wingspan for stability.
which shouldv'e put me at 20". So I am pretty close.

After looking at the water in other float plane flights. I come to the conclusion that it was the wind gusts combined with the flaps that we're the real culprit.

I also decided to not launch it while sitting in the boat anymore. It is just too crowded for safely starting and launching the thing.

From now On I will have the boat ready to go, but will just start the plane and launch it from shore. Then I can just taxi it right up onto the beach when done.

I'll just have to wear a scary mask, or uhmm,,bring my wife, to scare all the little kids away! LOL.

Smoky.
Another Neighbor kid just showed up with a 40 size trainer,,, think I'll be busy for a bit now... Gotta love it.

The local classic car Club is having a car show, and asked us to put up a static display of our models planes too.
H'mm,,, I think, maybe, we just may be able to get a club going here pretty soon.
It sure seems like this Beaver is Bringing em in from all over.
when I fly, people just seem to pop out from all over, take time out of their busy schedules, stop and watch.
Kids even stop fighting to watch! LOL.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:29 PM
seaplane

Well here it is, just finished it.........Seaplane

Name:	104010_10089.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	58451  
Old 08-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Smoky

WOW! Beautiful Plane. Ralph

Just looking at it! makes my sticker peck up! LOL

Thanks for the post. now I just gotta see it lifting off the water.

What is the Measurements of your floats Center to center and how well did it balance? did you have to add any weights to the tip of the floats?

Thanks.
Smoky.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:39 AM
Oregon Craig

Originally posted by Smoky

Just looking at it! makes my sticker peck up! LOL
What the? Makes your what? The how? Hey Now!

What a beautiful job, Ralph.

You have been emailing with me, and encouraging me to finish a pair of kit floats. I'll update you Monday via email, and maybe include some pics of how far I got this weekend on them. I won't know 'til the end of Sunday, and I feel the need to fly tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help!

Now, I will cyber-slap the first guy that says: "Nice Beaver" Oops, sorry.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:59 AM
Jollidude

Default Beaver

Hi Smokey,

Here's my 6' Radial Beaver. It's permanently on floats.

Cheers!

Jollidude

Name:	104141_29447.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	58452  
Old 08-24-2003, 10:13 AM
seaplane

Smoky, the center line spacing is 20" which is about 20% of the wing span. I haven't done a final balance yet, but I checked it a few times while building. Will let you know when I do. Gotta go help another RC'er move today..........Seaplane
Old 08-25-2003, 12:02 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Smoky,
Cool job! It is abviously VERY light since to takis without even getting the floats very wet. It looks like you could add some incidence to the plane to get off the water sooner. Drop the tail about 1 1/2" from where it is now. THat's why it gets off so quick with wheels: you can rotate more to get more angle of attack.

Remember to hold the upwind wing down with aileron and MAYBE it won't blow over so much. No guarantees, and once the wind gets under the wing, it's strictly up to God whether it goes over or not.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:53 AM
Smoky

Jollidude:
Nice Beaver!
I was just admiring your aluminum struts. awesome Job!
Cross braces aluminum also?
what type of wire did you use for the X Braces?

Makes me almost ashamed of my wooden ones! LOL

Jim.

Thanks for the tip.
The Photo you are referring to, I think, is the one in the post.
this was taken just after I dropped the flaps, and about 1 second before lift off. it really sits alot deeper at taxi speed or idle.

My 1st flight I had too much incidence!
and I was using a 2 stroke OS .60 engine with a 3 Blade 12 x 6, and that was when I had trouble with it.
thus the looks of this one now. the take off's are actually easy.
It came out before I was ready for it! LOL Love the Saito 4 stroke .91 power swinging a 3 Blade 14 x7 prop.

When I get to (er,,have to) rebuild my Struts. I will add the incidence then. probably go 1/2 way between the 2 set ups I've used so far. This shallow incidence sure makes it easy to land tho! LOL

Rick.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:04 PM
Jollidude

Smokey,

The struts are music wire with airfoil shaped aluminium slipped over them, the steps are aluminium tube squashed flat at each end and attached with model railroad screws. I drilled a tiny hole with a pin vise first.

The cross braces between the floats are basswood (they are built into the float during construction, the floats were scratch-built as were the struts).

The x-bracing between the floats is 2-56 rods threaded on one end (for adjustment), the other end is soldered. The fine wire bracing is pull-pull wire, once again with one end soldered to a clevis and the other soldered to a threaded clevis to allow adjustment. The wire bracing is functional and required. Without the bracing the assembly would have no strength.

I've attached a couple of photos to show detail. You can see the steering tiller on the bottom of the fuse. It controls the water rudders (two) via pulleys as the full size.

Cheers!

Jollidude

Name:	104527_29447.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	58453  
Old 08-25-2003, 06:05 PM
Jollidude

Another view

Jollidude

Name:	104528_29447.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	58454  
Old 08-25-2003, 07:00 PM
Smoky

Jollidude: WOW! thanks for the photo's.

I now know what sort of set-up to target next.
Them cute little gold coloured pulleys sure do a fine job of finishing
The scale effects. I wonder if I can find some small enough somewhere around here? LOL

Smoky.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:48 PM
seaplane

Default RE: Turbo Beaver Float flight

Smoky, I flew the Beaver again tuesday and I fell in love with this plane! It seems to have no bad habits. I dialed in about 1/3 flaps and it took off like a dream, with about 2/3 throttle. Don't think I ever gave it full throttle. Landing was also with about 1/3 flaps and it also was smooth. While in the air I added more flaps with a predictable nose up results. By the way, it ended up at 14 lbs with the floats and no additional weights required for balancing. I have a J3 Cub about the same size, but it doesn't compare to the handling of this Beaver. We have a float fly this saturday and I hope to fly again if the weather holds out. Today, thursday, we are getting some clouds and wind from the hurricane. Hope it passes fast! I also just put my Somethin' Extra on floats and want to try it out. Gotta go, will keep you posted..........Seaplane

Name:	Wu60870.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	62108  
Old 09-19-2003, 01:06 AM
David Smith

Seaplane, is that beauty built from a kit or plans? I would certainly like to have a model like that emerge from my workshop one of these days, and there are plenty of lakes where I live.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:41 AM
seaplane

David, I built the Beaver from plans that we bought at a swap meet. The plans came from a Unionville Hobbies kit. Unionville, in Canada, makes the kit in several sizes. It is not true scale, but it sure flys well. I copied the color skeem from a plane I rode in a year ago in Anchorage Alaska. I sent them a photo of the plane when I finished it and they sent us 2 shirts with their logo. I guess I'll be a walking/flying advertisement for them! Unionville does not have a web site, but I think I could find a web site of a hobby shop that sells their products. Let me know if you need more info.......Seaplane By the way, David Smith is my son's name.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:49 AM
David Smith

Seaplane, thanks for the info. I had been looking for Unionville's website - no wonder I couldn't find it! I already this winter's main project lined up, a Sig 1/4 scale clipped wing Cub, but you know what most modellers are like, always looking one (or more) project ahead!

Seems to be a few David Smith's around, I knew of at least 3 others involved in Modelling when I lived in England.

Cheers,
Old 09-19-2003, 08:36 PM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Getting a good start on my Turbo Beaver. All of you guys your Beavers look super. What did you cover your Beavers With? Thanks
Old 09-19-2003, 09:51 PM
Smoky

Seaplane: Thanks for the post! now you gotta do the Hammerhead stalls and immilman's! LOL. I knew you would love it.

Bald eagle: My plane is covered with Monocote. the floats too! but i have a strip of clear packing tape on the bottom of the floats to prevent rips and snags. seems to work great.

David:

Here is that Unionville Hobby contact #
PO Box 135
Markhan Ontario Canada L3P 3J5
Tel: 905 640-1534

Smoky.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:09 AM
David Smith

Smoky - thanks for the details, but if they don't have web site or an e mail, I'm afraid they won't get much custom from this corner of the world, very long way for phone calls. The Ikon Beaver looks good, but they don't have any prices on their website!
Cheers,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.