Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Fred Reese Sea Dancer...

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Fred Reese Sea Dancer...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 02:45 AM
Pud
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fred Reese Sea Dancer...

Folks,
anyone here able to give me any info on the .60 size, Fred Reese designed "Sea Dancer"?
Just got a kit from a guy, wondered what the general opinion of it is among the float flyers. [8D]

Appreciate any and all comments!
By the way, Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays to all!
Pud
Old 12-20-2003, 08:14 AM
Jollidude
My Feedback: (39)

Default RE: Fred Reese Seadancer...

Awesome flyer and light for its size. There are 4 or 5 flying in the area with a couple more on the building boards. Everybody here loves them. You'll like it too!

Cheers!

Jollidude
Old 12-20-2003, 08:49 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Wish you luck with it as they said is a nice lite plane.Problem I have is mine won't leave the water but makes a nice boat anyway.Had a HB61 on it maybe not enough power,tried a 61FX still no fly.It has been extensively rebult when I return to the north country in the spring will seriously look into thrust angles.I have the originnal article in the magazine when it was released and I believe it shows 0 thrust angle.Anyway would look carefully at the plans regard that sort of thing.I asked for info last summer but got no replies,GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-20-2003, 08:54 PM
Pud

Hey moodier,
does it not seem to want to lift off at all?
You mention it being "rebuilt"...Was it rebuilt because it was damaged while trying to get it to fly-OR was it rebuilt from a previous accident??
Unless it is seriously out of whack, you should of still been able to have gotten it off the water...should have plenty of power.
Thrust line THAT far out should be very noticeable! [X(]

The few Sea Dancer's I have heard about seem to be VERY good flyers.......something is definitely wrong!! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Pud
Old 12-21-2003, 12:51 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks;That gives me some enthusiasm to get it back in the air and find the problem.How big an engine should it use.Think the original plans called for a 60.They show no upthrust if I remember correctly.Have several float planes but this is my only experience with seaplanes!
Old 12-24-2003, 02:07 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Hmmm, I've only heard good things about them as well, also, I love my Cloud Dancer 60 and flew it off of the water for years with no problems. If the SeaDancer wing is the same, which I assume it is, then all should work fine.

The flying boat in the lower right of the attached pic is the builders own design. I attached the pic because he had an absolute devil of a time getting it off of the water. I think we've deduced that it is more of a wing incidence problem than a thrust angle problem, although both play a part.

Also, what can really help a flying boat get off the water is some chines by the step. It is like little additional steps, by the step. The guy with the plane I was talking about earlier put chines on his and was able to get off the water. His incidence was still wrong and he ended up crashing, but it is being rebuilt and is ready for next summer. He has new wing incidence and thrust angle.

I think if the wing incidence is correct, everything on the SeaDancer should be fine. My Cloud Dancer 60 was in the air in 50 feet, and this was with very heavy floats and an engine at the lower end of the power curve (an OS 60FP). Freds wing design has tons of lift. The plane should fly and get off the water great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23909.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	84969  
Old 01-04-2004, 12:47 PM
moesair

Hi guys, my thoughts on this seadancer getting airborne, I'd like to reinforce the thoughts that the wing incidence is the key to the problem, I hope this helps you,Moe
Old 01-08-2004, 04:39 PM
John Hawkins
My Feedback: (2)

The Seadancer is a great flying plane. Never saw one have trouble getting off the water. The YS91 works well with it and is by no means too much engine. With a 60 it is not too shabby either though. Some pictures here [link=http://rcalbum.rchomepage.com/Home.html] By the Sea, May 18,03[/link] One has the YS91 mounted the other an OS91. My own uses a YS91l.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:09 AM
B.Matt

Can this kit be purchased anywhere? Ive looked around and havn't seen it.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Great pictures John.

B. Matt,
Look under ACE/Thunder Tiger. They're the ones handling all the kits / ARF's in the Cloud Dancer line.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:16 PM
forfun42us

Don't know if a kit is available anywhere but you can get the plans here:

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...=plans:pl-1214
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21213.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	88983  
Old 01-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Pud

Great pics John!!
Hey, B. Matt...It IS possible to find a kit if you look around, but they are not produced anymore.
I lucked out and got one on eBay for a very reasonable price!

Hope you are able to find one, kit looks pretty good!

Pud
Old 02-18-2007, 07:19 PM
kingstuff

Default RE: Fred Reese Sea Dancer...

Picked up an Ace Sea Dancer off ebay recently. The kit is all there with the exception of the instruction book. I'm looking for help in finding a copy of the manual. This kit has a 70 + inch wing and uses a .60 2-cycle up to a .91 4-cycle.
JK