Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Nextstar Select floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Nextstar Select floats

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 07:12 PM
JRair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nextstar Select floats

HI! I recently installed 33'' SF floats on my nexstar and cannot break water tension. I balanced the plane, reinstalled the stock extension for more lift and have tried different props. It is going fast enough that it should lift and I am afraid to go much faster as it's hard to control. The nexstar book shows me how to cut the airlerons and make flaps-would that help? I called Hobbico and they recommended a .61 engine bigger prop and then the advice from all of you as they have not had experience with floats. Thank you for any help you might have. JR.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:15 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nextstar Select floats

The wing needs to be making some lift when its running along the top of the water. The floats are rigged so that the wing can rotate enough to get takeoff angle of attack. In the past I have always recommended people rig their planes so that the wing is 3-5 degrees positive relative to the tops of the floats. Not all floats are flat on top. But, if you set the plane on a tabletop, sitting on the floats, the chordline of the wing should be level-parallel to the planing surface of the float. The step is normally a little behind the balance point of the plane.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:47 PM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what Jim is talking about. Notice how the floats are slightly nose down compared to the plane. This is a World Models Sky Raider Mach I trainer, about the same size as the Nextstar, powered by a Magnum .52 4-stroke.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61079.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	173119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95469.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	173120  
Old 09-14-2004, 07:46 AM
JRair

Thanks for the info. My step is about one and a half inches in front of my cg, and the nose of my plane is down 3/16 of an inch in the front of the wing as compared to the back. I'm concerned that my floats might be a bit undersized, but it planes good. They are 33" long and 4 1/2" wide. They look a 1/4 smaller in relation to the plane than the floats do on all the other planes I've seen. Do you feel that my O.S. .46 is sufficient engine and would they addition of flaps help me with the short ponds I use. THANK YOU! J.R>
Old 09-14-2004, 10:54 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The 46 is plenty of power, and the floats are big enough. Just block up the front of the airplane so that the bottom of the wing is level with the top of the floats and you should have no trouble getting off the water. If that doesn't work, move the floats back an inch and try again.

Jim
Old 09-14-2004, 07:48 PM
JRair

I just got back from the hobby shop and bought screws and shims to adjust and relocate my floats. Sometime in the next 2 weeks I will fly it and let you all know how it goes. Thanks for your help !! JR.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Bayou Talker

What brand of floats are you using for the Nexstar? I want to do the same thing.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:31 PM
JRair

I'm using SF floats by MTH hobby products. E-mail www.mth.com.tw. These floats are for 2000 to 2600g planes. My plane I realised- after the install- was heavier, but it floats, taxis and planes O.k. It doesn't track well during take off, but am trying different positions and different recommended angles to improve taxiing and to get my plane OOffffff the water. It's an on going experiment with my patience but I'll get there and post any good progress when I do. J.R.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:51 AM
Bayou Talker

Thanks for the info. I will check them out.