Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

V-MAR Beaver flight

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

V-MAR Beaver flight

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 04:25 PM
magyarbacsi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-MAR Beaver flight

My curiosity always gets the best of me and I end up buying something that I find interesting, inspite of the reviews or lack of. So after reading a few posts on VMAR ARF, I found enough positives that prompted me to purchase the DeHavilland Beaver from Quantum.

As I was surfing the web this early morning, I came across an article on Scottish rc forum, SAAweb re the Beaver., posted November 04. Those who have purchased one and have not flown it yet, read the negative experience of two Beavers destroyed in 40 sec. This was without floats.

Hmmmm? I have ordered but not received it yet. If you have flown one please post your experience. Wondering if I should not opt out and just order from Falcon that is 2lb heavier, but flies.

If you type in VMAR Beaver flight on google, it will show you the web site in case you cant get on it directly.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:46 AM
bent

Default RE: V-MAR Beaver flight

Here's another sad story for you. As an instructor at our club, I'm often asked to maiden airplanes. This one particular day it was a brand new VMAR Beaver arf 40 with a MDS 58 engine. Everything looked good inside and out and the weather was perfect so I took off straight into a light breeze after a long take off run. The model staggered into the air and felt tail heavy. I managed two gentle circuits before it snapped into a spin while banking for the final approach. No time to recover but a big bushy tree saved the day. Lots of witnesses including a few experts and we all studied the model on the bench. The unanamous conclusion was that everything was good to go. As a precaution, we added a few ounces of lead to the nose to get the cg to the front of the recommended range. The next take off had lots of airspeed but the model snapped to the left almost immediately after take-off and was a total write-off. I took the wreckage home and looked it over again. The only thing defect I could find was a slight twist in the left wing (wash in) measured with an incidence meter.
The hobby shop cheerfully refunded the owner's money and I built him a coroplast Spadet with the same motor and radio which he cheerfully flies to this day.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:18 AM
magyarbacsi

That seems to be the common complaint, that the left wing drops an does into a snap roll like maneuver. I think I'll cancel as it has not been charged on my card yet and go with the Falcon Beaver. A bit heavier, but at least I've seen one fly on the video. So for now my Seamaster will have to satisfy my urges.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:01 PM
magyarbacsi

I sent an email to the distributor to cancel the order and described the problem that was described by several flyers. it seems that a tip stall occurs. Will see if they honor my request. If not I will work on the wing and try adding a slight wash out.

Were you using flaps on your flight. The two other reports did not mention if they did or not. Also, I intend to fly it with floats as I have water surface only for my planes. The Canadian web site indicates, I believe, that flaps are an option.

When you say a long roll out for take off, was it excessive? They claim the model weighs only 6 1/2 lbs.

If I end up having to accept it, so be it. Probably wont fly it till winter. Seattle winters are sometimes the calmest and the extra density of the cool air may help. Will post results.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:54 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one thing that will aggravate a tip stall is drooping ailerons. after setting up the ailerons normally. that is lined up with the hinge line. then adjust each aileron two turns on the clevis so the ailerons are raised that will give you some washout. sure beats trying to twist a wing panel. hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:25 PM
bent

magyarbacsi
There were no flaps on this Beaver. A long take off run just means I deliberately kept the wheels on the ground to ensure more than adequate airspeed at take off. I can't believe they all fly like this one did although a very similiar episode happeded at our club with a 60 size VMAR Stick. d_bodary is right, reflexing the ailerons up a little can't hurt, maybe that's all this model needs to make the V-MAR semi-symetrical airfoil behave. Floats will push the wing loading way up and definitely won't make a poor performer any better. Aren't these forums great, right now I'm terrified to maiden my Great Planes Super Decathlon on floats !!
Old 11-26-2004, 08:32 PM
magyarbacsi

bent

My now 24 yr old son built and flew the Super Decathlon like a champ. He was always better than me and a lot more daring. What the hay, dad will buy me another one. I watched how the Super D acted on take offs. Unless you had adequate speed,... snap roll, but he was able to recover. After that he made sure there was plenty speed and the plane was pure joy to watch. I never attempted to fly it then as we were only into flying for a couple of years, and mainly trainer like planes.

Yes I heard that a slight up on the aileron helps prevent tip stalls. I think Quantum shipped the plane so I may have bought it. I did send them an email stating that to this day i have found no one who spoke kindly of the Beaver and for them to investigate the air foil. I wonder if they meant to build in a wash-out and built the panels upside down, hence a wash-in.

Yep, three out of three and the same symptom? I think a conclusion can be drawn from that. And yes, I have gained a lot of info from fellow fliers and members of this forum as well as boaters. I also have three gas boats from 4 to 5 ft that'll go 50 mph.
I am so grateful for Al Gore for inventing the internet, ( this was one of his claims) but more so for members willing to share their knowledge.

Re Super D on floats, go for it. I've heard that floats on high wings actually make it a bit more stable. Up the power a few cc's to compensate for the drag of the floats, unless you already have strong enough motor. Just think of it as an exploration and then share the results of your findings with the members. That is what this hobby and forum is about. Go for it and let us know the results. Just do it an have fun.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:50 AM
noworknguy
My Feedback: (197)

Hi I have one of these P O S. It took three tries to get it in the air,it wouldn't come off the water. Went to a larger float and took the2 1/2 degrees of down thrust out. It took off and rolled to the LEFT and crashed. I called the the v mar people and to no satisfaction,I have a new wing for it ($85.00) we'll see what happens. I wouldn't buy there products. Thank you Don.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:16 AM
magyarbacsi

I took delivery of the plane, and found it is made in Viet Nam. Hmmm. Been there. Done it. The frame and plane look very nice. I will not use their hardware and will put a 2 degree wash -out on each wing panel. That forged aluminum engine mount is a joke.

The hobby shop did agree to take it back when I received it. If I do keep it, I will build it under a microscope, check for the smallest of warps and wing incidents. Got to be a reason for the snap rolls. It all points to a tip stall. Well, for now I'm having too much fun with the Seamaster to mess with it an still have a Seamonster to build and fly.