Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

ReadyFly Cessna Dos and Don'ts

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

ReadyFly Cessna Dos and Don'ts

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 09:19 AM
magyarbacsi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ReadyFly Cessna Dos and Don'ts

After many successful conservative flights of my Cessna I decided to test its limits yesterday. I found that too steep of a bank at too slow of a speed will cause tip stall and put it in to a spin. This I found out previously and had just enough altitude to pull out of it and make a perfect landing on the lake.

As usual, I drew a small audience and decided to put on a performance. A few high speed and low speed passes, touch and gos, inverted and so forth. I then took it high enough, so I thought, did a snap roll and let the plane slip into a dive. I have done this with my Seamaster many times and never had a problem pulling out of it. The Seamaster does not have floats. I put the Cessna into a diving spin and after a few spins began to apply a little power and opposite rudder. No response. As I knew it will go in the water, I cut throttle just in time for a perfect "10" dive. The plane popped up and settled on the floats. Damage was minimal, two small cracks on the cowl and one of the mounts pulled out from the floats. I managed to start the Magnum, and ran it for five min. to get water out of it and after removing the wing, found but a few drops of water.

Watch your speed while banking for a landing and don't let it go into a spin unless you are way up high to get enough speed to recover. The floats increase the inertia and keep it spinning.

I did enjoy the flights before the dive and did learn what the plane's limits are and that it will survive crashes other planes wouldn't.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:27 PM
drizz

Default RE: ReadyFly Cessna Dos and Don'ts

My son did the same thing. Showing off and forgot about flight time. He ran out of fuel while in a spin. He said it looked like a kingfisher diving after a fish, then just popped back up! Only pulled one float mount loose and no water to speak of inside.

drizz
Old 05-12-2005, 03:22 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the same thing with the same result. Ran out of fuel in a spin. CA'd the loose spreader bar and flew again the same day. I've seen several float planes spin into the water, but I've never seen one come out of it with so little damage.

The verdict is in: The Cessna will not recover from a spin without power. But as long as you're over water, it probably won't be a disaster.

Jim
Old 05-12-2005, 08:30 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GEE !!!! I was in hopes you guys would take the hint when I said the Cessna wasn't designed to do aerobatics even though I had pushed it. It does respond different on floats. I still think it super cool doing touch and go's etc. and I don't need to spin it anyway. (mine did recover from a spin but not a real tight one.) I haven't DOVE my Cessna into the water to see how it will stand up but I did have a float mount pull out on my Ready on Floats and it DOVE in from about 60', it's still flying today (in fact yesterday) and that was about 4 years ago. I also saw a Ready bounce off the water and go higher then I ever thought possible and it just kept flying. You wouldn't believe some of the things I've seen and done with these planes, they are neat!!!! In case someone is reading this and doesn't know what we are talking about, go to falcon-trading.com to see the planes. ENJOY!!!!! Red
Old 05-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

I flew mine on Saturday for the first time on Floats. I havealmost 200 flights on this plane from wheels and it has been my "favorite" plane for almost 2 years. I was totally disappointed with my flight performance.

Let me begin by describing my setup.

On wheels: OS .61 FX APC 12X6 prop, 5-cell AA pack in front of the servo tray, Receiver is under the servo tray.

On Floats: Same engine and prop,receiver under the servo tray, 5-cell AA pack behing the main landing gear mount.

The plane would not take off without deploying flaperons. It flew like it was tail heavy, constantly porpoising although the CG checked out OK.

Any ideas? This is an excellent flyer on wheels but so far I'm pretty disappointed with it's performance off of floats.

Any ideas???

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41612.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	272180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84284.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	272181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81651.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	272182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60609.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	272183  
Old 05-16-2005, 10:35 AM
jrf

Surely something is wrong. Mine had the same engine and prop and took off in 50 feet or less. what does yours weigh with the floats on? Are the ailerons reflexed (raised above neutral)? Do you have enough elevator travel? (It will need more on floats than on wheels.)

Are you an experienced float flier?

Jim
Old 05-16-2005, 10:54 AM
Meesh

ORIGINAL: jrf

Surely something is wrong. Mine had the same engine and prop and took off in 50 feet or less. what does yours weigh with the floats on? Are the ailerons reflexed (raised above neutral)? Do you have enough elevator travel? (It will need more on floats than on wheels.)

Are you an experienced float flier?

Jim
1. I'm not sure what it weighs but I can, and will, weigh it
2. The ailerons are neutral
3. Although I have flown the Mariner (seaplane) quite a bit,this is my first "Float Plane".
4. I don't have a lot of elevator. In retrospect,that could be the take off problem.

Where is you battery pack when you're on floats?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:04 PM
jrf

Where is you battery pack when you're on floats?
Behind the servo tray.

I asked about your float experience because some beginning float flyers try to take off as you would from tall grass and that doesn't work. Forgive me if you already know this.

- Hold full up elevator as you taxi out then throttle back to let the airplane weathervane into the wind.

- With full up elevator, advance the throttle to full, then immediately begin releasing the elevator as the nose of the floats rises out of the water.

- After the airplane gets on top of the water, let it run along at full throttle, with no elevator input, as it gains speed. Try not to use the rudder during the take off run.

- When flying speed is reached, pull a little elevator to break free of the water.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Old 05-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Meesh

Thank You Jim. Believe me, I never get upset when people are trying to help me! All input is greatly appreciated.

I can remember easing the throttle forward and as speed picked up the floats came up on plane. It was really moving across the water. Someone actually yelled out "Nice Boat!"

I pulled back on the elevator and it had no effect at all on the attitude of the plane. It just kept skimming across the water at a high rate of speed.

Next run I deployed the flaperons and it took right off. I think it may need some CG adjustment.I'm going to check it again.

Thanks again
Bob
Old 05-17-2005, 08:09 AM
magyarbacsi

I have a Magnum 91 4 stroke that is probably heavier than the 61. My battery is as far forward as the firewall permits. The receiver is just behind it. With this set up it was a perfect balance and did not need extra weight. Total weight of plane is just over 9 lb on a postal scale. Takes off at 3/4 throttle with a 13x6 prop. I set my elevator 1/2" up /down movement. This is actually too much once its air borne.

Check your float to wing incidence. Using the supplied mounts and hardware should give you about 2 degrees of negative (nose pointing down) I also have my c/g set at 75 mm from leading edge. I think the instruction states 75-80.

It takes off with a short run. I tried the flaperons and it did make a difference, but only used it once to see how it handles. It flies very gracefully and good flying characteristics. One warning, little more speed and altitude is your friend. I assume you have read the post regarding steep banking and spins.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:28 AM
magyarbacsi

Clarification on incidence. The nose ,bow, of the floats should point down, away, from the nose of the plane as if pointing away from each other. Not too much. 2 degrees is just perfect for mine.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:49 AM
Meesh

I'm using the stock mounting system for the floats and I bought the plane with the floats in the kit so mine should be the same as yours.

With your setup,engine used and battery placement, I would expect yours to be seriously nose heavy.

I have to go back and recheck my CG.

Thanks all for the tips and suggestions!

Bob

Old 05-19-2005, 08:55 AM
magyarbacsi

Meesh, Magnum 91 FSR weighs 3 oz. more than an OS 61 and I believe it has more thrust. I'd like to swing a bigger prop, but the arc would reach the spray. The 13" just stay free of it but occasionally I can hear it as it it getting up on plane. The balance as I described it is right on the money and the performance is satisfying for me and will keep up with my flying skills.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Meesh

I haven't checked mine yet. It's going back on wheels for the time being.

I only get a chance to use floats 2 or three times a year.

Thanks for the information.

I have an extra 4 stroke laying around I could try but I think anything larger than the 12x6 running on wheeels I'll be mowing the grass. I'll have to measure to see if I have enough clearance.

Bob
Old 05-19-2005, 11:23 AM
jrf

Not that it matters a whole lot, but 91 4-strokes are usually lighter than 61 2-strokes. In this case, the Magnum 91 FS is 1.2 ounces lighter than the OS 61 FX. (You have to be careful to include the mufflers in the total weights.)

Jim
Old 05-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Where do you acquire these planes in the US? Any online dealers?
Old 05-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Meesh

Thought I was responding to the Spacewalker thread. Oooops!

Sorry

Falcon Trading isthe placetpo get them.

Bob
Old 05-19-2005, 12:46 PM
jrf

They are actually called ModelFly, not ReadyFly. They are distributed by Falcon Trading and available from them (www.falcon-trading.com) or from most local hobby shops.

Jim
Old 05-19-2005, 06:11 PM
magyarbacsi

Jim,you are right. I don't know why I called it ReadyFly, I think I was thinking about the Ready, which I also have, and got screwed up. Didn't even notice it till now.

Old 05-19-2005, 07:33 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boy you guys got me checking my Cessna to see if it was set up any different then yours and basically mine is the same and I have NO problems getting it off. Here are a couple more things to check.
1. Check that your floats are IN LINE. Measure them front and rear.
2. Double check your CG, mine is also 75 mm.
3. Maybe try a 12/6-3 bladed prop.

In your #4 photo it looks to me like you are not really getting up on the step before letting off a little on the elevator, due too?? not enough power or not enough elevator ???

I fly mine with an OS 91 4c and a 12/6 3 bladed prop. I haven't had much use for 3 bladed props on smaller 2 cyl eng but I love it on the 4 cyl. The 3 bladed gives a little more clearence above the floats. I hope maybe something here will help you as this is one Super float flier. ENJOY!!!! Red
Old 05-19-2005, 08:36 PM
proulxlaw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the modelfly Ready II on floats. I bought the whole plane on ebay with servos, radio gear and engine all done. I figured if the guy didn't do such a great job building it and since it was plastic, I would take it apart and fix it. I was shocked when I won the bid because I stole the plane. The plane came with an OS .46 and it would just barely get the plane out of the water with a head wind. So, I weighed the plane and it weighed 8.5 pounds. I had to modify alot as the plane is only supposed to have a .46 and Modelfly doesn't sell anything to help install a bigger engine in that plane but, after modifying and installing an OS .61 FX, the plane flies great. The extra power was just the ticket. I put about 8-10 flights on it today and it was a blast to fly.

I also leave my planes about 2ozs. nose heavy and make sure that I don't under power them and since I began doing this, all of my planes have flown much better.