Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Engine Selection for Seamaster

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Engine Selection for Seamaster

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Selection for Seamaster

I have been flying RC for a little more than 30 years but this will be my first float plane. I selected the Seamaster because of the many positive comments that I read in this forum. I have an engine choice (1) OS Max 46 FX or (2) Super Tiger 51. In the past I have swapped these two choices back and forth in the same airplane and found that the Super Tiger really does have a significant power advantage. My question is whether the added power of the Super Tiger is an advantage for water takeoffs -- in the air I am sure either engine will do the job just fine.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Howard
Old 06-20-2005, 02:34 PM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Default RE: Engine Selection for Seamaster

Really either engine would do the job - I use a Enya 45 CX (11x6 APC) in mine and it has no problem getting off the water or flying - a great airplane and design all the way around -
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33571.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	287434  
Old 06-20-2005, 03:12 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

I have the OS 46 FX on mine and it does fine.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:19 PM
David Mosher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted to change out my TT Pro-46 with a four stroke. Do we think that a TT 54S will suffice?? Am of the view that an OS 70 Surpass will be too much.

Any feedback or experience??

Thanks.....
Old 07-12-2005, 06:36 AM
britbrat

Howard, engine choice depends upon you & what you like to do with the plane. The Seamaster will fly well with as little power as an OS .46 LA, & I have seen Seamasters with 70 size 4-strokes.

A pod-mounted engine has some disadvantages & one of them is significant mass above the aerodynamic center. More power doesn't always result in better flying (as an experienced modeller, you already know this). A good 46 size engine works beautifully with the Seamaster (TT .46 Pro, for example) and an OS 50SX will provide even more power without a penalty in stability that comes with excess weight.