Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

GP .20 Cub on floats for first time

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

GP .20 Cub on floats for first time

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:48 PM
nicolas_Fs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP .20 Cub on floats for first time

Just wondering if anyone has this plane and if anyone has any info or tips i should keep in mind. It will be my first time float flying. I have also been looking for info as to put the ventral fin on, or not...but everyone seems to have a differant answer for every plane. It has the GP floats and os .25 fp for an engine, I hope this should be enough power.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:12 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GP .20 Cub on floats for first time

Certainly the ventral fin won't hurt. You can always remove it and see if it still flies comfortably. You may find it wags the tail without it.
What gets me is the way GP has, for all these years, shown the plane with the floats rigged horribly wrong.

In this photo with the fuselage level as it is, the top of the float should also be level.

Like this:

BTW this is a 1:1 Cub, with no ventral fin.

Witht he floats rigged properly it will land and particularly take off SOOOOO much better. It's an excellent plane, but they've NEVER fixed the floats rigging since the plane was introduced over 10 years ago.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:28 PM
nicolas_Fs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I rig it up with the parts given and everything by the book they will be set up wrong? Thats no good.. Looking at now it looks like it could use a spacer under the main landing gear. Maybe someone has gone through this already?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:36 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T*wer H*bbies is a sponsor of this forum and I was not trying to offer more than a factual critique, but every time I post a Gr*at Pl*nes picture it mysteriously diappears.

Note to T*wer H*bbies censors: Fix the float incidence and nobody will praise you more loudly than I will.

It has always appeared that the front float legs should be exchanged with the rear float legs. If that does not get the incidence right, it's time to buy some music wire and a Harry Higley wire-bending tool.