Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

new

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 02:26 PM
jessebasser
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new

i am new to float flying. looking to get my first. thinking of getting the >Great Planes Seawind Seaplane EP ARF <[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSAG3&P=ML]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSAG3&P=ML[/link] is this a good starter seaplane?
Old 12-02-2007, 02:44 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: new

There are good looking planes... but a challenge....

What I would suggest is for now (until you know you like it....) just convert one or your existing planes.....
Old 12-02-2007, 03:58 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R/C Report magazine just had a review of this plane in theirlatest issue. Seems allright. The equipment that it uses could be reused in other electric planes if needed.

Of course modifying an existing plane works well to.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:36 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as you are an accomplished flyer, the EP version of the Seawind is a great way to get started.

I reviewed this plane for RCU Magazine last summer and it has become one of my favorite planes.

Unlike the big nitro powered Seawind, the EP version is very easy to get on and off the water with. And it flies GREAT!

The only thing to watch for is to make sure you waterproof the wing and cockpit area. You don't want to get that ESC wet!

One of the really nice things about it is that you can fly it off of grass until you get the feel for it and trim it out, then take it to the lake, pond, or whatever water you have.

Here's a link o my review. Be sure to check out the video

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=917
Old 12-03-2007, 01:24 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I have seen two of these fly so far. Both had in-flight failures causing ...well... unplanned meetings with earth/ocean.

The first one went in when the engine pod flexed forward on a throttle up after a low pass. Prop cut the fuse in two.

The second one snapped a wing in two pulling out of a dive. Could have been over stressed, but it didn't appear to be too abrupt a pull out.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:30 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been pretty brutal with mine, and the only bad habit I have found is that if you are flying slowly, and then quickly advance the throttle to full, it will nose down due to the high, rear placement of the motor. This was only a problem once, when I was flying very low to the ground which resulted in a very short touch-and-go.

I have since learned that when flying slowly, you should advance the throttle gradually.