Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Spectra II QUESTION

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Spectra II QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 04:35 AM
Falcon6667

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectra II QUESTION

In Model Aviation this issue (July) Any thoughts on this sea plane? I think its neat looking project.
Falcon
Old 07-03-2008, 05:03 AM
siddus74

Default RE: Spectra II QUESTION

Neat looking, but not something I wouldnt build . . you would be starting with so much against you, small wings so higher wing loading, engine is in the wrong place so a look more weight for ballance would be required. Just in those two points I would not build any model like this. I have a friend with both and Arrow and a Northstar and the amount of grief he has with them is unreall. Build an Ivan Pettigrew model they all fy well
Old 07-03-2008, 07:44 PM
LADDIE

It is too bad that some “modelers” condemn some design without knowing anything about it. Just at looking at configuration is not enough to put it into category “it can not work”.
As far as the NORTH STAR goes, it does not need to be defended. Since I built the prototype in 1985, thousands were built around the world.
I am enclosing picture of the SPECTRA for benefit of modelers outside of USA.
As a side note, the “Top Notch Products Company” wants to produce the short kits of the
SPECTRA.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22066.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	983490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34286.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	983491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62896.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	983492  
Old 07-04-2008, 03:15 AM
siddus74

LADISLAV , sorry you feel I was condeming the design of this category of model, this is not the case, I know you are a well respected designer and the models you have desgned and built are loved by many. In fact I have an Arrow myself. Falcon asked for 'any thoughts' and those are mine, we are all entitled to our own opinions. Did I state that this design 'cant work'? My opion so far has been based on other club members feed back with there models of this design, and the countless posts where modellers struggle with the CG of this category of model whilst trying to keep the AUW down to where it's acceptable.

Did I say anything that was untrue . . . Correct me if I am wrong, but they do require more ballast than a conventional plane dont they? Not just talking about the Spectra here but the Great Planes Seawind is in the same design category as Spectra and that needs a considerable amount of ballast. Not everyone has to agree with everything, but we should be left to form our own opinions and as far as assuming I know nothing about them well im not sure how you can come to know that! You dont know how long I have been if this hobby building radio control aircraft.

Good luck with the Spectra, im sure it will be another success.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:57 AM
Falcon6667

LADISLAV
Are you the designer of this plane? I have been giving some thought about building the S PECTRA II a bit larger an using a g-20 for power. Any thoughts on this as to how much larger to make it?
Falcon
Old 07-04-2008, 06:49 PM
LADDIE

Yes, I am the designer of the SPECTRA published in MA. As far as enlarging the model for G20 engine. It can be done but I am not knowledgeable enough on gasoline engines to give you some definite numbers to build larger model.One thing for sure, lower wing loading equals better flying SPECTRA. One very important thing must not be forgotten when designing larger version. I think your engine weights minimum 2.5Lbs, the same amount of lead ballast has to be inserted into the nose of the model. On top of that extra 8 to 16 oz of lead has to be added to take care of some reinforcements of the fin/fuselage and nacelle. So your starting weight is already around 6Lbs. Now add to that all the construction materials. Still, I hope you build it.Just to show you that mounting of large motor on top of the fin can be done. Sometime around 1988 member of my club asked me to enlarge my 44” North Star by 100%, which I did. He built it and installed Quadra 35 gas engine. The engine was running well without much vibration. The problem was that it did not have enough power for this size of model. Laddie.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10144.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	984129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24509.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	984130  
Old 07-05-2008, 04:26 AM
Falcon6667

I spoke to my son about the plane with his input i have decided with a electric version.
Falcon
Old 07-09-2008, 12:21 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Ladi

I build a Northstar a few years ago, got it to fly with an OS 45, to say the least, fun, fun to build and the flying part was the best, I had a lot of good times with this model, I endup installing a Dinamax ducted fan unit with an OS 77, the pipe went through the engine mount and out the back of the fuel compartment ( first ducted fan ) It did OK, it was the base to help me to get to where I am now.

Going on 4 years of flying jets, Tamjets F-16, Fei Bao Hawk, Kangaroo, Cermar Viper jet and a few more.

All I can say is thank you for your designs.