Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

700sc powered villain(video)

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

700sc powered villain(video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Quicksilver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700sc powered villain(video)

Finally got the villain out today. Now runs nice but the lake was too rough and I forgot to screw the rudder servo horn on . Luckily I have a raft now, man was the best $45 purchase I ever made at walmart. Had to save the boat twice due to loss of steering, but the raft just makes it all the more fun. The boat does turn much better now, it's not even comparable. Need to get some calm water.
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUeAnoz6zZ8]VIDEO[/link]
Before and after shots
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41436.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	946005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46665.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	946006  
Old 05-09-2008, 11:07 AM
pompebled

Default RE: 700sc powered villain(video)

Nice!

Now the process of fine tuning can begin...

Regards, Jan.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:42 AM
SV27dayton

That's not the old Jet villian is it?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Quicksilver

nope, I've got two villains now. I made this from a brand new EX hull. The jet-villain is still alive. Unfortunately I have to swap setups to run either. However it only takes about 10 minutes to switch everything over.

My next upgrade will be the prop, think I'm going to try a 45mm, I'm using a k series 42mm now. Oh, and find some flat water.

An old pic, but a comparison none the less

Name:	Tr50692.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	946339  
Old 05-09-2008, 11:11 PM
alloutcustom

Nice, i like it. Now you gotta get it BL, haha
Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Quicksilver

ORIGINAL: pompebled

Nice!

Now the process of fine tuning can begin...

Regards, Jan.
in regards to tuning, I ran the boat again yesterday and actually got to go full throttle for the first time. However it does have a bit of a lifting problem. I dont think you'd call it porpoising, since it doesn't bury the nose. The whole boat lift out of the water and falls again constantly. It is quite controllable, the hull stay at the same angle but lifts over and over about every 10ft or so. Any idea, sorry I dont have video of the run.

Still is fun, she definitely hauls.

btw, no chine walking
Old 05-15-2008, 08:43 PM
SV27dayton

Why does it look like that boat had an intake for a jet drive?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Quicksilver

ORIGINAL: SV27dayton

Why does it look like that boat had an intake for a jet drive?
because it did I bought the boat planning on letting the old jet villain die and building a new one, but decided after cutting(of course) that it would be rather silly to build two of the same boat. Luckily I saved the the piece I had cut out and just put it back in. Dont worry it's glassed in pretty good as this construction photo shows.

Any idea on my lifting problem? Seems like a stupid question but could it be the k series prop is a lifting prop?

here's my original thread.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_65...tm.htm#6570320
Old 05-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Quicksilver

Thought it would be a good idea to show the strut angle as it is now.

Name:	Ig13866.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	950265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27409.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	950266  
Old 05-16-2008, 06:46 AM
SV27dayton

It's hard to say without a video. Fix looks strong enough but you could have smoothed it out a bit on the outside. Sounds like normal bahavior when you are going vast in a V hull. I'd like to see it.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:45 AM
n.h.schmidt

The bouncing you are experiencing is common and easily fixed in most boats. If you can shift weight (batteries) forward a little at a time and test. If shifting weight isn't going to work for you, angling the prop strut down some will also work. Lastly trim tabs can be added and used to adjust the boat ride. Personally I'm ok with trims. Most of the racing boats I have use them and most of the boats I have raced against use them also. Any of these three things to do can get your boat running better. It could change your boat from uncontrollable to a enjoyable racer. Adjust carefully as you don't want to go too far .The last thing you want is to have the boat stuck to the water. It would be much slower and suck amps too. You want it almost riding on the tail with just enough forward to have control at your highest speeds. With a good 700 and 12 good cells , you could be in the low thirties . My Electro Vee LSO boat has run over 33 mph on 12 cells . n.h.schmidt
Old 05-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Quicksilver

thanks guys, I do need a video, the day I tested it last, I broke the prop shaft loose after about 2 minutes and didnt even get the camera turned on. The cable was soldered, I used permatex high temp sleeve retainer this time, shouldnt come loose now.
I'll get some video when it stops raining, it's been pretty nasty here.

To try to explain the motion, it looks like a full sized offshore deep vee when they're gliding over ocean swells. The thing was there were no waves. I think I will try adjust the strut first and go from there. I didnt want to add tabs, but if all else fails, than so be it.

I agree I could smooth the bottom out, it's just been at the bottom of my to do list.

p.s. since I didnt mention it, I'm running 16 cells, hopefully I can beat 33mph, that would make me happy, I've no idea how fast it is.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:34 PM
kahnen

The way you describe it Quicksilver, it sounds like when the strut height is to high and whenever the boat would get up to speed the prop would rise out of the water and it would lose momentum and sink back down in the water. Your pictures tell me that your strut height is fine, so I would play with the CG. I don't like messing with the strut angle, neutral has worked the best for me.

Hope you get it figured out.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Quicksilver

thanks, I'm gonna run her today......no camera person though, I need to learn how to drive and film with my experience with real boats, I'd say the cg is too far forward, I'll play with the batteries, but as you know well, that's not particularly easy
Old 05-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Quicksilver

ran the boat, was interesting, I put the batteries in 3 different locations, the best seems to be where it was. I've got video, but I'm running to work right now, so it probably wont be up till midnight est.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:23 PM
kahnen

Interesting, can't wait to see the vid. Hopefully someone might be able to shed some light on whats going on.

Side note, no incidents with driving and filming I assume?
Old 05-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Quicksilver

I've attempted uploading the video twice now with no luck, idk what you tube's problem is. The more I look at the video, the more I feel you guys will say, "I cant tell what's going on."

So in case if it never uploads here's the synopsis.

With the batteries back 3" the boat bounced much more but it was more of the nose slapping type of bouncing, definitely no good.

Then I tried out 6" back, this was more entertaining than anything else. Tough to plane out, bounced horrible but she would stand right up and by right up I'd say at least 80 degrees, looked pretty nuts.

test 3, I put the batteries back where they were in front of the motor. Oddly enough this time it didnt run quite a nicely as at the lake the last time. It bounced; much less than the other test, but it did bounce, it was the fastest as well.

For the next set of tests, I'll try angling the strut up a bit more. Seems like the lower I put it the more bounce, so up it goes.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Quicksilver

alright! got some news, I went down state to visit family......the ones with all the real boats Ripped around in some chop and boat wakes....boat flies.

The best part someone had an old hand held gps, so I finally have a max speed report.
I dont think that's too bad, I'm still running real cool with the 42mm prop, so I'm propping up, also the gps was heavy. just over a half pound(9 oz.)
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3I-_xuGESY]video of run with gps on board[/link]

Name:	Nl29678.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	956037