Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Better boat for "bashing"?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.
View Poll Results: A poll
AquaCraft SV27
24.00%
Pro Boat Cat BJ26 BL
12.00%
Pro Boat Miss Elam 1/12 BL
4.00%
Traxxas Villain EX
40.00%
Hammer
20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Better boat for "bashing"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Druss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better boat for "bashing"?

Just for use around the local ponds, no racing but I want something that's more stable than the smaller mini-rios and mini-c. I also prefer brushless as i'm set up very well with lipo batteries and chargers from my cars and helis.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:52 AM
ibyte69

Default RE: Better boat for "bashing"?

To me none of the boats you listed are real basher boats. The Traxxas Villian EX is a good basher boat and with your lipos the boat will be impressive. But thats just me and i dont know what your definition off bash is, the boats you listed are all fiberglass and pricey to just bash.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:19 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your running in pretty flat water I'd recommend the SV27. Great performance out the box and very well made.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:01 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SV27

You will need 2 2s 25C 5000mAh packs.

Ryan
Old 09-25-2008, 09:52 AM
GRANT ED

He will hardly "need" Lipo's for bashing around his local pond. I use 4300 matched cell Nimh packs and they give great performance for 1/2 the price of the 5000mAh lipo's.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:02 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

He said he has LiPo's not NiMh. Kind of pointless to go backwards in technology.

Ryan
Old 09-25-2008, 11:12 AM
MKMotorsport

none of the above. AQ Hammer. Inexpensive enough not to care and replacements are cheap. Wouldn't worry about brushless on this kind of boat as my original 550 can mottor last somewhere between 300-400 runs! I bring mine out on my kayak with me and bash it pretty good. Very durable and very manuverable... for a true "basher" it's a great boat. And it'll run great on any ol 6 cell nicad or nimh. Spending $200 on 2S 5000mah li-pos for a "basher" is kinda insane, don't ya think? [X(]
Old 09-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Druss

Like I said, not too worried about the batteries. I have probably 25-30 lipos in 2S, 3S, 4S, 5S and 6S. I also have 3 good chargers. I have 6 2S 4000+ mah lipos for my cars so like I said, batteries are not my concern here.

When I say "bashing" which is why it's in quotes, is because I want something fast but not brushed, I am not going to be really running it into the bank or into other boats.. etc. but i have absolutely no plans on organized racing. I want speed and stability but also quality. I looked at the Traxxas and Hammer and may still consider them but I just prefer brushless for it's efficiency and no maintenance.

Just as a note, I have a Tamiya TRF 501X buggy as a "basher" as well (no racing) and it cost me around $700 to set up.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:47 AM
headhunter23

Kind of a unique boat, but wondering if this would fit the bill. No breakie prop... well almost never. Hull seems indestructible cheap, light plastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB39zusZKAM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62xkO2yei1w
Last half of vid shows characteristics on pond
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO9nAVqBzyQ

it's a ndq jet drive boat hull off ebay for 50 bucks, throw all the electronics inside away as you are only buying for the hull and drive itself. Replace with fresh electronics, very good success with 7.4v pack(s), 40amp motor spinning at 3900rpm/v. With 1700mah -2100mah pack(s). Cheap to run, have "bashed it" continuously. brass shaft mod needs to be done eventually due to high rpm. Fun all year round.

Ivan.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Grimracer

Bashing is a RC car tearm that does not seem to translate over to well to boats.

Go with the SV.. It will get you what you want.

grim
Old 09-25-2008, 12:19 PM
headhunter23

Just thought bashing off rocks would be the same thing...
Old 09-25-2008, 12:26 PM
MKMotorsport

ORIGINAL: headhunter23

Just thought bashing off rocks would be the same thing...

I does to me? I "bash" my hammer into rocks, the shore, small bushes, submerged logs, the side of my kayak, the dock, wooden 4x4 pilings, my dog, my leg, my wife's leg, ect... I would NOT feel good about doing the same with an SV27, JMHO...
Old 09-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Druss

Ya, maybe bashing isn't the right term but in reality for me there is either bashing or organized racing. I'm not going to be racing so I termed it bashing. How about sport boating?

Just another question, is a steerable drive, where the rudder and prop turn together, better than a separate rudder and drive? I'm assuming steerable drives aren't as durable and have more friction and loss due to the universal?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:15 PM
GRANT ED

ORIGINAL: Druss
Just another question, is a steerable drive, where the rudder and prop turn together, better than a separate rudder and drive? I'm assuming steerable drives aren't as durable and have more friction and loss due to the universal?
A seperate drive and rudder is better. The steerable drives can be fragile and they are less efficient. More so when they are turning as the uni joint absorbs power.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:31 AM
Druss

Ya that's what I thought, I wonder why proboat uses it on all their boats? I can maybe understand on the smaller ones but on the larger ones with brushless it seems like a waste due to the losses in the drive train. At this point I'm leaning towards an AquaCraft boat due to the design. I also prefer discrete parts so that if something goes wrong you're not replacing an entire unit for 1 little piece that broke.

I also changed some of the options for the votes. I'm still looking at brushless first but can always upgrade one of the others to brushless.

Also, does anyone else make an electric hydroplane besides proboat?
Old 09-26-2008, 02:55 AM
GRANT ED

There has be talk of a BL Miss Vegas from Aquacraft but nothing official is out yet. If I were you I'd forget about the EP hammer. I'm not saying its a bad boat ( a friend has one that we use as a rescue boat so I have used one ) but I think you would be dissapointed with its performance. It's not really in the same class as the BL surface drive boats.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Quicksilver

so essentially, this really is just another, what's the best boat thread, which has been beat to death. more like drove into the ground buried, covered and already has a nice monument on top.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Druss

Yes it is, I searched around for some of them already and didn't really see the answers I wanted. Quite frankly if you don't have anything constructive to add maybe you should just refrain from saying anything thumper???
Old 09-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Quicksilver

del
Old 09-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Druss

What exactly in your first post was constructive?? Please I really want to know because to me it just sounded like a bunch of whining. If you don't like it then don't read it or reply to it. I'm on about 6 forum sites and have never replied the way you have, either you help or just ignore it... why feel the need to add a non constructive comment?
Old 09-26-2008, 08:07 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: Druss

Just for use around the local ponds, no racing but I want something that's more stable than the smaller mini-rios and mini-c. I also prefer brushless as i'm set up very well with lipo batteries and chargers from my cars and helis.

i have hammer but its nitro though, check YOUTUBE.COM, punch WAVEWAKER2 i have a couple of nitro hammer vids,,though boaters don't call it bashing but i bashed my hammer,,enjoy
Old 09-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Quicksilver

6! you win, I'm erasing so we can get back on topic.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Dominatorxpro1

I have a Villian EX, and love it. but i am looking at building my own boat. i use it on lake Huron so the boat needs to be able to go off 3-4ft waves constantly. in one normal run my villian will do 4 back flips, and flip over 2 times. but i only get to use it a few times a week. i was wondering if their is a good hull and motor set up for this kind of abuse? i would like it to reliable and very fast (because sometimes there is a calm day). another thing is that im not very expierenced so i would like it to be very durable so i dont have to spend 2hours fixing it for 1 run. if this is possible please tell me. like i said my villian normaly gets completly out of the water on evey other wave.