Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Brushed speed controller for 775 motor

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Brushed speed controller for 775 motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:24 AM
deslok113

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushed speed controller for 775 motor

I'm currently having problems locating a speed controller for a 775 brushed motor. Most of the ones I've found are for 6-12volts2-3 cell LiPo or 6-10 cell NiMh. The 775 I have will run on 14.4 or 14.8 volts. Since brushless motors are cheaper now then ever before if I can't find a brushed speed controller for this motor for a reasonable price I'll just go brushless. I've found brushless motors for $30 to $40!!! and ESC's cheap too so if it becomes too difficult or costly I'll just opt for a brushless set up.
I really want a brushed set up not only because I have the motor already, but because I also have a brushless RTR and I'm converting a big nitro boat to brushless, so I really want a brushed boat also. I just need some good URL's to sites that may have good deals on brushed speed controllers. Thank you for your help.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:03 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: Brushed speed controller for 775 motor

Look around for RC-Hydros.com ESCs. I would recommend a V90-1032/Opto. I stopped manufacturing them several years ago, but there are lots of them still in service, including a guy who must have had 10 of them in Metairie. The best places to ask are on the OffshoreElectrics.com or RumRunnerRacing.com forums, as that's where most of the real racers who used them hang out.

Andy
Old 05-13-2009, 01:50 PM
deslok113

Thanks Andy. What kind of performance would I expect if I went to a 12v pack? I was looking at some 12v packs online
Old 05-13-2009, 02:24 PM
kahnen

You could also get a used or new Jeti Navy 600 esc. This esc is tough, I even use this esc in a 1/8 scale converted buggy to bash around with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6HuUue7Sag

Another option is the Traxxas EVX-2 Marine. If you want reverse and BEC.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:38 PM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do like i do and buy either a Traxxas EVX2 or Marin EVX and run 2 six or seven cells thru it. You can find these on e-bay quite often for $30-$50 bucks......and they have reverse. Another one would be the Novak version.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:08 AM
joeysan2

Here is one of the Victory ESC's for sale http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/fefor...ad.php?t=28454.
I have a Jeti 60 amp esc I could let go. I has never been used. It is not the Navy version tho the instructions say it can be used in a boat.
It looks like that it would be easy to add water cooling. I just never got around to it.
PM me if interested,

Joe
Old 05-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Quicksilver

I keep it simple, the jeti navy $75 from offshore electric. Can't go wrong. check the swap shop section of the site for deals on used units.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:44 AM
deslok113

I got he Jeti ESC from Joeysan, Thanks by the way.  I installed it, set the brake and tested.  I went to the pond to field test the boat.  It wouldn't plane.  I velcroed the 2 4600mAh packs together and then velcroed the the pacs to the same place where the single pac used to go.   being Cajun and growing up on the bayou really paid off this time, because I knew what was the problem immediately.  In a full size boat if you put too much weight in the stern or close to it the boat won't be able to plane no matter how big the motor is especially w/ outboards.  I placed the batt packs forward and separated them and voila!!  The boat planed immediately and did around 30mph!!!  I was unable to heat test the ESC because I couldn't run the boat long enough; it started to rain.  So I'm not yet sure if the ESC will need cooling.  I'll probably do it anyway-better safe than sorry.