Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 11:40 AM
madmax93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

That was on the bench, but I think it's ok. I'm going to try it on the water today.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:18 PM
madmax93

I am using a futaba 2pl with an HPI rf 1 receiver. If I try it in the house and
go two rooms over it starts to spool up on it's own. Is that normal because there
is interference or should I wait and get the HK 2.4 radio and receiver?
Old 09-18-2010, 08:52 PM
carakter

Yes that is normal. The metal frames / wirings / etc. in your walls causes interference.
Range test it outside. Have somebody hold it while you move farther and farther away - or vice versa.
Do this before you actually put your boat in water . . just to be sure you don't lose control of the boat.

Also, some radios gets picky with it's receivers. If you continue to experience glitch or short range control,
then you might need to look for same brand components.

With your growing list of RC's, you should consider getting a decent spread spektrum radio.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:10 PM
madmax93

Yea, I went outside and it was still giving me issues so I ordered the
Hobbyking 2.4 radio.
I have a spektrum DX3 for my MMGT, but I'm trying not to break the
bank on the boat.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:47 PM
carakter

ORIGINAL: madmax93

Yea, I went outside and it was still giving me issues so I ordered the
Hobbyking 2.4 radio.
I have a spektrum DX3 for my MMGT, but I'm trying not to break the
bank on the boat.
You should just have ordered an extra Spektrum Rx . . that's what I did.
Way better than the GT2, and I don't think the GT2 is spread spektrum (not frequency hopping).
Old 09-19-2010, 10:07 AM
carakter

Finally gotthe chance to maiden the Bolt this afternoon!
The City Hall pond water level was fine, only problem was lots of debris in the water.
Leaves kept getting tangled into the prop and rudder. [:@]
Stock prop had cavitation but was okay when it planed.
No submarine effect when I let off the throttle.

Swapped the stock prop for a slightly bigger one. . . little cavitation and better speeds attained.
I was actuually jumping on the wake I created!
Best part was when it went airborne, it was level (flew about 3" from the surface).

This tells me my COG is perfect! Now I'm just waiting on the Octura props - should be here in a week or two.

I run the battery down to around 3.8V per cell. I could have run more but I already noticed about a 1/4 drop in speed.
Runtime was probably around 6mins when I stopped. With 3.8V, I could have run maybe 4mins more.
But since it was my initial run, I decided to stop and go home to re-check everything - make sure all's ok.
So far so good! Oh, did I mention I didn't get a single drop of water inside? Even when i flipped it? Yeah baby!

I didn't get to do any wattmetermeasurements or take pictures - next time I'll do that.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:02 PM
madmax93

What size batt. did you use?
Old 09-19-2010, 07:29 PM
carakter

Turnigy Nano-tech 2200mah 3S.
Think I'll get two more just for this boat.
I'm very pleased with this battery.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:30 AM
madmax93

I have a zippy 3s 1800mah 20c. How should that hold up
with the ESC etc. (heat...).
Old 09-20-2010, 05:41 AM
carakter

1.8 x 20C = 36mps continuous.

It should hold up fine with the stock motor.
Just make sure you balance charge it everythime.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:53 PM
nickster46

Unfortunately I ran over a rock wich was close to the shore and I wanted to put a show on too much so I hit the rock.
My prop had a little damage, was a little busted but I could get it back in shape and sharpened it again.
My rudder was busted too but lucky me was also able to get it fixed.
The underneath of the boat was a bit scratched but I sanded it and than painted it.
I was scared to death when I heared the *BOINK* when I ran over the rock... I immediately removed the rock out of the water
Just to tell you guys that I haven't changed my setup since I am very happy with the stock motor on 4s.
The higher KV motor (3600kv) didn't got me more speed but it decreased running time real bad.
outrunners just burned away on 4s. so that's no option.
The best I can remember from the 3600kv was that is was making a lot of noise (It sounded like a really angry cat) but the speed wasn't there.
Maybe it made too much rpm with this prop (octura x432) and maybe I have to try a bigger prop but maybe than I am decreasing running time even worse..
These are the mind spinnings I am dealing with.. Maybe the best option is to keep it like it is.. I ordered a 2900kv motor wich can handle up to 18+volts so with that motor I don't have to be scared it will burn on 4s.

Yesterday I started my HPI Savage X 4.,6 nitro truck again and I am re-building my Arrow Wind Rigger so I guess my best bet is to keep the small bolt like it is so I can play with it
Old 09-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Basstronics
My Feedback: (2)

Hi guys! Im just getting back into this thread/boat.

I had run the stock boat, 3S 1800 mah Flightmax batts. Its OK but I think its to slow... Maybe 18-20 MPH.

I checked the boat out some more. I dont like that HUGE flex shaft. So I ordered a Jeff Wohlt wire drive and coupler. The piano wire drives is a HUGE upgrade over flex shafts- I use them in all my boats now. Puts instant power to the water, doesnt shrink up and the best part- LESS DRAG. The only draw back is you must be gentle with the bends.

My boat currently is being stripped of paint. My first paint job didnt work out so I did another. That didnt turn out to well either. So Im currently stripping off like 18 coats of paint... lol

The other project will be filling the hole where the stock antenna was. Im going to move it forward. Im using an Aeromarine Laminates antenna deal. So I drilled the stock location out for it. Its just to hard to wire up (near impossible) and to close to that pesky water exit.

This is a 3S boat, plus I have the 3S batts. So Im going to upgrade the motor in her. Im gonna shoot for a 3200-3500 KV motor. I think these boats need more RPM's. I also gotta check out my prop selection. I dont have to many props to work with. I need to order more (plastic ones).

I now have an eagle tree w/gps. So I can give you guys good data when i get it going.

Rock on!
Old 09-24-2010, 02:22 AM
carakter

ORIGINAL: Basstronics

I checked the boat out some more. I dont like that HUGE flex shaft. So I ordered a Jeff Wohlt wire drive and coupler. The piano wire drives is a HUGE upgrade over flex shafts- I use them in all my boats now. Puts instant power to the water, doesnt shrink up and the best part- LESS DRAG. The only draw back is you must be gentle with the bends.
What specific product did you get? link please. Did you change the stuffing tube? anything else you changed out?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:08 AM
carakter

@nickster - just wanted you to know that nano-tech lipo's are back in stock!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:17 AM
madmax93

Quote: I had run the stock boat, 3S 1800 mah Flightmax batts. Its OK but I think its to slow... Maybe 18-20 MPH.

I have a 3s 1800 batt. too. I have not ran the boat yet as I'm waiting on a controller, but is that all
I can expect is 20 mph. I though this boat ran about 40 mph.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:27 AM
nickster46

thanks for the info.
Right now I was ordering two of those batts but I paused it because is was wondering if I get problems with customs as I maybe have to pay import fee.
does anybody know about this? Is HK from USA?

Edit: I just clicked continue and there the screen with import taxes etc. Batteries are ordered. 2x 1300mah 2s

Old 09-24-2010, 06:48 AM
Yura

I haven't been charged for tax fees.
HK from HK
Think you shouldn't worry...
Old 09-24-2010, 07:00 AM
nickster46

ah! From hong kong I never had to pay import taxes, and I am ordering a ****load of useless gadgets monthly
From the USA I had to pay three times out of three. So that's not my favorite country to order.

offtopic: As said I am rebuilding my NQDarrow wind rigger and I was testing it without water cooling the ESC (the motor is an outrunner, so no cooling).
before the rebuild I was running 4s on the setup. But this time I didn't use the watercooling, and guess what:after 30sec my ESC fried completely.
I had it waterproofed with a hot glue gunn and the glue was melted completely. Lucky me had already ordered the same watercooled esc as I use in my small bolt (up to 18+ Volt). My point: watercooling is very very important and even if there is not water jet coming out of the water outlet, it is working for sure.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:20 AM
carakter

@nickster - you seem to be burninga lot of things . . . . I think I'll nickname you . . . . BBQ! . . . just kidding!

I was just looking at that Force Control esc . . . .I think I'll wait 'till I burn out the stock one.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:24 AM
carakter

Quote: I had run the stock boat, 3S 1800 mah Flightmax batts. Its OK but I think its to slow... Maybe 18-20 MPH.

I have a 3s 1800 batt. too. I have not ran the boat yet as I'm waiting on a controller, but is that all
You will need a better prop. And a fresh lipo.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:36 AM
nickster46

Haha!That's nice!BBQ is one of my major interests and my favorite hobby in the summer! this is my home made oil-barrel BBQ

I don't care about this esc. The substitute esc was already on it's way Otherwise I had to throw it away, this is better
Old 09-24-2010, 08:50 AM
carakter

That's not a BBQ . . that's a furnace!
With the coming winter months, that would be a great place to share a few bottles of brew though.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:10 AM
nickster46

You can make food with it after that remove the grill and throw in everything that burns!
Old 09-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Basstronics

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/member.php?u=713

Just send him a message.

I willc heck my email at home for details. It is the 1/8" prop shaft, 1/16" piano wire and a coupler. The coupler is 2.2 or 2.3mm x .062.

I think the drive was $16 and the coupler $14 or something like that.

ORIGINAL: carakter

ORIGINAL: Basstronics

What specific product did you get? link please. Did you change the stuffing tube? anything else you changed out?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Basstronics

Thats what I THINK i was getting out of it. I have another boat that runs faster than this hydro and I GPS'ed it at 23 MPH.

The drive line on this boat is the culprit. That huge 1/8" flex shaft is way overkill. Its to big, to bulky, to restrictive.

I bet with just the drive line mod I will add 5 mph+

Take the motor out and turn the drive line over by hand. You will feel how restrictive it truly is then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.