Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

OCTURA & PRATHER HELP!!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

OCTURA & PRATHER HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 04:11 PM
carprigger50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OCTURA & PRATHER HELP!!

HEY THERE GUYS,...IM NEW TO RC POWER BOATING,JUST THIS PAST YEAR.CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN OCTURA X670 AND A PRATHER 270.

THANX, CARP
Old 11-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Believe It
Banned

Default RE: OCTURA & PRATHER HELP!!

The 270 has a 2.74" diameter with a 4.2" pitch

The X670 has a 2.76" diameter with a 4.4" pitch
Old 11-21-2006, 04:38 PM
TIA

Does this mean the boat will technically go faster with the X670 since it is larger and has more pitch?
Old 11-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Slow Motion

ALL boat and motor combos ( even with the same equipement ) will not perform the same.
But if the motor has enough power to turn either prop, then yes, the boat will be slightly faster.
The difficulty in saying yes or no, is even worse with high speed hulls with modded motors, because any particular modded motor will shine better with a smaller, or larger prop. This due to the modding style ( test, test, and more test ).
Old 11-21-2006, 05:14 PM
TIA

Slow Motion, what would be the visual results of a boat that is over-propped?

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Slow Motion

Unfortunately just watching a hull on the water doesn't always tell too much. A surface drive hull with a prop that is too small, will cavitate severely when launched, run with a too high/short rooster tail, and could slow down alot in turns. The same hull with too much prop, could be hard to accellerate, run below par for speed, have little to no rooster tail, could fall off badly turning, and if equiped with a tuned pipe, might have a hard time staying "on the pipe".
Unless the eng. being used is "RPM fragile" ( Homies, ect. ), I think it's more beneficial to be slightly under proped, and keep the RPM up. For the most part, 2 strokes make more power and are more responsive at higher revs. And we don't run these engs. wide open 100% of the time, so there's little chance of cutting their lives short.
The ONLY way to properly chose the right prop is with a tach, and a gps. However, without those, you can "hear" an eng. that is struggling with too much prop, it just won't have that nice crisp crackle and buzz, and the long low rooster tail of a boat that is dialed in.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:27 PM
carprigger50

HEY GUYS THANXFOR ALL THE INFO,.. ALL OF MY QUESTIONS I WAS GOING TO ASK WERE TAKEN CARE OF BY G-1!B

THANX ,CARP
Old 08-01-2014, 07:51 AM
49 senior

Can anyone tell me if there is a octura or metal prop the same shape-style as the Grim Racer 65x100 2 blade only smaller ?
Old 08-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Competely different shapes. The GrimRacer props appear more like the ABC chopper props. I've got two of Mike's props and an earlier V-24 prop. The V-24 prop appears similar to a Prather.
We learn over time that you can't say exactly that any particular prop is THE one to use with so many differences in setup. The problem then is the expense of trying so many. I've got a few and my buddy tries mine out to see what his boat likes. Tach's and radar guns help a lot. If you're not racing then you don't have to be as fussy. The X-670 is in the same neighborhood as a 7016 or ABC 2614,
Old 08-02-2014, 06:04 AM
49 senior

Thank you Ron you have answered my question and given me some ideas, thanx again. 49senior, fair winds and fallowing seas
Old 08-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Although props may appear to look alike, they may have subtle differences. It could be the blade area or in the case of Octura vs. Prather there is a difference Octura props have a progressive pitch (think of swimming with your hands cupped) while Prather's have a constant pitch. Things get crazier from there on.