Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Shockwave 55 Rudder Servo Size?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Shockwave 55 Rudder Servo Size?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 05:19 PM
dh7583

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shockwave 55 Rudder Servo Size?

I recently acquired a Proboat Shockwave 55 (Yellow version), rebuilt the entire fuel system and carb out of necessity and now need to replace the rudder servo before I run it. What would be a good replacement servo? This would be my first boat but have been flying RC (Everything) for 31 years. Currently It has an Expert SL820 1/4 scale servo @180 in.oz. of torque but it apparently has some pot issues because it will "RIP" to full deflection if moved too fast. Yes I've tested with another servo plugged to the receiver and so on. Does this boat require this heavy of a servo or can I simply use a standard servo of comparable torque? I greatly appreciate any helpful advice given to me on this matter!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I use Hi-tec HS-645 MG servo's in my gas boats. They're a standard size. The standard servo's that come with your boat are probably a hair smaller than the usual "standard" size but still put out a nice amount of torque.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:15 PM
dh7583

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ron, Thanks for the straight forward answer. I will look at grabbing one of those to replace the current servo. This boat was given to me by a long time flying buddy and what I consider a very close friend and a good man. He requested that I "Get the thing running and have fun with it" and that's what I intend to do. I got the motor running like dogs are chasing it and she floats well, so all I need is a reliable servo to fill his request. Thanks again!