Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Large scale boat, single or twin drives? also build help would be nice

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Large scale boat, single or twin drives? also build help would be nice

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 07:12 AM
FastVee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large scale boat, single or twin drives? also build help would be nice

Hi all, I am just waiting for delivery of my first gas boat. It is 70" long and stepped v-hull. No pics yet sorry. unbranded outerlimits/deltaforce look a like.

I really like the looks of twin drives, and have used twins on many builds, like my 58" apache and 50" thunderbolt. both twin brushless 50+mph boats.

Since this is my first gasser I would like to know more what is preferred?

I will most likely use RCMK K600 or single full mod tiger king engine.

Drives I have looked ( AND FELL IN LOVE LOL) at are wd200 arneson styled drives.

Since this is a big boat is 2 drives better for stability ,or am I better of getting the single?

Twins would mean also getting a gearbox so the cost factor also rises...

Twins are just so freaking cool.

I have searched all over the internet and cant find single decent article on how to install all the bits inside. -is there somewhere something available to look at?

I am not a rookie and the electrics I have build are nice but dont want to do things twice with this build if I can study a bit first.

-Pate

Last edited by FastVee; 10-06-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:13 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sounds a cool project Pate!! single drives with bigger power plants will certainly give you some roll with prop torque. It can be moderate to severe depending on several factors (prop and prop preparation, drive angle offset, hull and hull balance etc). Certainly a twin drive has better control but there are also additional expenses and components/complexity. Personally I am a fan of twin drives too - whether twin motors or a splitter box. I have/love both.

I have some pictures I got from a builder in Germany that may give you some ideas on piecing together your build. Hope you will keep us in the loop on the progress!!

http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/mo...ipsfromgermany
Old 10-06-2016, 12:35 PM
FastVee

justaddwata, thanks for the info. That link for the builds was allready in my favourites , there is plenty of pics there but not much info what does what,cog,etc.

But really helpful in many ways thought.

The biggest drawback if going twin drives is that I would get this one wet in the summer 2018 :P -unless I win at the lottery. But still...I think I must do it properly with twins or I will kick my self for cheaping out.

If I can find good but lower cost gearbox ,engine,etc then I could get this ready for next season...

Need to google more I reckon...

-any info how the arneson style drive that Werner sells at wd200 works? -square flex and some kind of dog bone drive?? I need to email him and ask...

Still thinking of 2 single cyl engines but counter rotating is not easy, even the rcmk ones are not a matched pair what I hear(different crank). using 2 engines would lower the build cost compared to single k600 with gearbox thought

-Pate
Old 10-08-2016, 12:24 PM
The Ghost

This is how I set up an 72" Eagle, See the build at http://www.ausrc.com/forum/showthrea...9-Next-Project

Engines still rich https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIeZu9Y_kbQ&feature=youtu.be Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	87.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	2184951   Click image for larger version

Name:	89.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	2184952  
Old 10-09-2016, 09:34 AM
FastVee

Hi The Ghost, I joined the forum and looked your build, very nice!

I also found the thread of your engine problem.I thought rcmk made quality stuff, shame about that issue.

-how do you like the arrow shark gear box?

I am still thinking about the twin vs single, any idea how much the gear box robbs power ? -10-20%? -if so the single could be better for getting the power from single 1 or 2 cyl engine imo.

The full mod tiger king 28.5cc is starting to look good and if the the 7.9hp the builder promises is true, will the twin drives stilll work with that power or is single drive the only real choise?

Need to google more I think now...
Old 10-09-2016, 01:14 PM
The Ghost

FastVee, Thanks, the engine problem is the first time this has happened, last time out it got hot due to cooling line blockage, was not the twin shown above, it was in another boat which is a single drive. I have a dozen RCMK's and this is the first brake down.
The Arrowshark g/box works well and I have not had any problems with it.
Depending on the weight of the hull, a single would work a single drive, you would loose to much through a g/box for a twin drive.
The bigger the hull the larger the cost to build, though the look better.

Cheers
Old 10-10-2016, 10:50 AM
Jeanneau

Hi,

Are you on Jims RC Boat Dock?

There is a guy on there who goes by the name of me3. He bought an outerlimits SV43 and put a K600 running a gearbox. It was also his first build..would be worth trying to speak to him about advice and his experiences .

'ta
Old 10-11-2016, 10:54 PM
FastVee

Jeanneau, I am now, thanks! looked that build and liked it.

Wifey wants another kid(I dont mind lol)so budget just dropped...Will do a single drive with mod zen or tiger king now.

Will post build when I get started.

Thank you all for your help!

If any one has MHZ XXX Outerlimits,please let me know if you have setup info for single drive with that hull, thanks!

Last edited by FastVee; 10-12-2016 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:19 PM
SS RC Boats

A friend of mine has one that i will be putting single Quickdraw Pioneer 30.5 and he already has all the Speedmaster hardware.

Found a video of one running.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh5enfs35eY
Old 11-28-2016, 01:31 AM
FastVee

I have just received 32cc Zenoah for this build,Also got WD200 made drive,mounts and clutch , this will be so good looking when done...

SS RC BOATS, build log?
Old 11-29-2016, 02:02 PM
SS RC Boats

Originally Posted by FastVee
I have just received 32cc Zenoah for this build,Also got WD200 made drive,mounts and clutch , this will be so good looking when done...

SS RC BOATS, build log?
Not sure when i will be starting build for him,but i know it will not be no time before February lol. I have my 74" Silverhook plug i am getting ready for mold which takes up lots of hours and another 2 boats to build for me and my dad for the beginning of our race season in March.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:47 AM
FROGMAN524
My Feedback: (5)

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with OP