Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 03:56 PM
jc03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mistycreek. I spoke with the folks at Bonzi today and they had me going in the same direction. I got the water out of the motor, hooked the pump up correctly and it fired on the second try. Now I just have to cut the flea cable and test drive it. Pretty excited now after the doom and gloom I felt the other day!
Old 06-08-2017, 03:42 PM
danielplace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jc03
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I spoke with the folks at Bonzi yesterday and they were very helpful. Ended up ordering the clutch kit, mount for the Rio and even a new Bonzi prop. Spent a lot more than I wanted but it should be a good project and work out real well. That said I'd love any advice anyone has on the install. It seems like I'm going to have to move the motor up a bit and modify several parts. Thanks!
You are not going to want to add the weight of a clutch and shift the engine forward also as you may have a wet running slug. The engine needs to stay where it was or even go rearward when you add the clutch so your CG isn't moved forward. You need to CG the boat and keep it right where it was. The only way it will work going very far forward is if you added a lot of horsepower at the same time.

Originally Posted by jc03
Thanks Mistycreek. I spoke with the folks at Bonzi today and they had me going in the same direction. I got the water out of the motor, hooked the pump up correctly and it fired on the second try. Now I just have to cut the flea cable and test drive it. Pretty excited now after the doom and gloom I felt the other day!
If you did away with the square drive and are running a round collet and a welded stub shaft cable be sure to cut the cable so you have plenty of gap between the drive dog and the drive. It will get shoved forward considerably by the prop and flex cable wind up and the engine rubbers flexing. The drive dog absolutely cannot be allowed to make contact or it will destroy the cable. You need about 3/8" minimum gap to ensure it doesn't make contact.
Best of luck when you take it out for a run.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
On a Rio, I understand using a clutch. On a hydro, however, I've seen a clutch cost more than one person a heat win when it started slipping. Mudboger, I'd sell JC03 the clutch and stick to a direct drive on your hydro
A clutch in a heat race boat I have yet to see and I go to a lot of races. Not sure I know of a single race hydro today that has the room in the engine bay for a clutch to be added.
I doubt the clutch was the only reason they lost. Never seen that but if I ever do I am sure the person running one will be dead last unless all the rest don't make it. Race boats just do not run clutches. Not saying you couldn't run a clutch if you really wanted but people racing usually know it is a waste of horsepower and will add a lot of weight. Two things a racer doesn't want for sure.
The other problem with a clutch is you might as well have the flywheel in the back as the big ole' clutch hanging off the back of a engine doesn't allow it to be mounted down low like it needs to be especially if you were putting one in a hydro even if there was room.

Last edited by danielplace; 06-08-2017 at 04:14 PM.