Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Prop Nut

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 07:18 AM
jc03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop Nut

Hello. Kind of a weird question here but I'm finishing up the Rio and am installing the new prop on the new cable. Man, the nut requires some force to turn it. That said are there any tricks for this? There's no real place to put a wrench on to stop the cable from turning and I don't want to mar the drive dog. I was considering using my milwaukee on the nut and putting channel locks with rubber padding on the drive dog?
Old 06-09-2017, 10:23 AM
danielplace

Just lube it up. They usually don't go on that tight just a little snug unless the shaft wasn't properly threaded which I have seen many times. You hold the prop with thick towel and tighten with a nut driver usually but any means will get it on wrench, socket and ratchet but do not us any power tool as it may gall it or spin the prop and cut you badly. Only make contact with the nut to the prop and don't tighten it hard against the prop or you will jam the drive dog forward and loose your gap and ruin it.
Did you put a decent flat spot for the set screw on the shaft and grind the end of the setscrew flat before tightening it in with liberal coat of red locktite ?
Old 06-09-2017, 11:57 AM
jc03

Originally Posted by danielplace
Just lube it up. They usually don't go on that tight just a little snug unless the shaft wasn't properly threaded which I have seen many times. You hold the prop with thick towel and tighten with a nut driver usually but any means will get it on wrench, socket and ratchet but do not us any power tool as it may gall it or spin the prop and cut you badly. Only make contact with the nut to the prop and don't tighten it hard against the prop or you will jam the drive dog forward and loose your gap and ruin it.
Did you put a decent flat spot for the set screw on the shaft and grind the end of the setscrew flat before tightening it in with liberal coat of red locktite ?
Thanks for the reply. I didn't think of that. You mean put the prop slots into the drive dog and hold the prop so nothing spins, right?

I didn't grind a flat spot. Good thing I didn't get everything set. Haha! I'll dremel a decent spot before getting it together. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If I'm correct, the Rio 51's don't use the normal 1/4" drive prop nuts, probably something metric as it seems like I tried the use the 1/4" "Zuber" prop nut on one and it didn't fit properly.
Hold the prop with a shop rag when tightening the nut, your fingers will thank you for that.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:27 PM
danielplace

Originally Posted by Ron Olson
If I'm correct, the Rio 51's don't use the normal 1/4" drive prop nuts, probably something metric as it seems like I tried the use the 1/4" "Zuber" prop nut on one and it didn't fit properly.
Hold the prop with a shop rag when tightening the nut, your fingers will thank you for that.
Ron,
The driveline has been changed out. It isn't a Rio shaft. It is a standard welded stub cable and is 1/4-28 like usual.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/spee...ex-cables.html
Old 06-09-2017, 03:37 PM
danielplace

Originally Posted by jc03
Thanks for the reply. I didn't think of that. You mean put the prop slots into the drive dog and hold the prop so nothing spins, right?

I didn't grind a flat spot. Good thing I didn't get everything set. Haha! I'll dremel a decent spot before getting it together. Thanks!
Yes exactly. Yea it would not hold at all if you just tightened against the round shaft. It needs a good flat and don't forget the set screw tip needs to be ground flat also. Remove the tapered tip that just makes it so it doesn't hold as well and will easily work forward if you accidentally overtighten the prop nut. Remember just snug not tight against the prop and when you set the drive dog make sure to leave enough for the prop and nut to go on probably like 1/4" or thereabouts because the next prop you buy could have a even longer hub and you wouldn't be able to use it unless you bought a whole new shaft and started over. Don't forget at least a 3/8" gap between the drive/bushing and the drive dog. Does that drive you bought have integral bushings pressed in it or does it use a slip in bushing ?