Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Proboat Blackjack 55 Catamaran

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Proboat Blackjack 55 Catamaran

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 01:31 PM
PEERPSI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Proboat Blackjack 55 Catamaran

ORIGINAL: Dockman

Scott, the Retro clutch require moving the motor forward about 1 1/2'' so you would not want to move the gas tank also.
If you move the engine forward you will affect center of gravity. Wouldn't moving the fuel tank forward also have that effect? Might be moving the COG to far forward.

As far as rocks when pulling ashore. Pull the carb idle speed screw and set the throttle up so that when you flick it forward on the remote it closes the carb and kills the engine. That way you can drive in to where you feel comfortable and then kill it. It also acts as an added safety factor.

When ordering the new solderless flex cable from Warehouse hobbies be sure and get a new prop shaft, prop dog and prop nut. Also don't forget new bushings for the strut as your OEM one is set up for 1/8" shaft. Their 5/16 OD SLB bushings should fit just fine.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Scott.b

Thanks for the info Peer.I see what Dock is talking about so I will leave the Fuel tank in the same location.

On a side note I have read in the forums that the quality of the hull isnt the greatest so i have a friend that works with Carbon fiber so I think i will have him do an inlay inside of the hull to give it some strength,I would imagine its lighter then fiber glass as well..Thoughts?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:31 PM
PEERPSI

I'd recommend glassing in the engine, tank and radio box frame. The OEM method of holding the frame down has failed on several people and in my case lead to a hull in the hull where the stuffing passes through. The other common failure point is the seam top of the hull to the bottom of the hull. Adding an extra layer of tape and resin to the seam will make things more durable. In order to get in there you'll need to pull out the OEM floatation block. It wouldn't hurt to add an upper deck support while you're in there.

Good luck.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Scott.b

ORIGINAL: PEERPSI

I'd recommend glassing in the engine, tank and radio box frame. The OEM method of holding the frame down has failed on several people and in my case lead to a hull in the hull where the stuffing passes through. The other common failure point is the seam top of the hull to the bottom of the hull. Adding an extra layer of tape and resin to the seam will make things more durable. In order to get in there you'll need to pull out the OEM floatation block. It wouldn't hurt to add an upper deck support while you're in there.

Good luck.
Thanks.Actually if you check out this link you can see what Im up against.SOunds like everything you guys have talked about happened here already in transport.As you can see the boat is new yet was damaged.Check it out and let meknow what you think..Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390092082735&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Old 09-20-2009, 11:11 PM
PEERPSI

Yep, pretty much what happened with my boat. The frame was pulled up much higher but the hole in the hull bottom looks about the same.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:01 AM
boatman55

unless you have some exotic way of applying a vacuum to the CF inside of the hull itself to give it strength, CF isn't any better than fiberglass. You can always use your own judgment on strengthening the hull, but my opinion is that, unless you have a strong possibility of running over rocks, or you plan on jumping huge (i.e. ocean) waves, the hull is fine for normal use. Stronger never hurts of course, but the hull isn't as weak as many make it out to be. I'd definitely add a layer of epoxy to the areas where any wood contacts the hull, just in case. I definitely agree with Peerpsi's pont about adding strength to the seam where the hulls meet. Very good advice!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:55 AM
magnum57

C'mon quit battling a losing battle[X(] get a boat that isn’t built to fall apart. my bj55 and shockwave were by far the most work i ever had to put up with[:@] from everything from the hull to the clutch, pipe, control system and everything else. not allot of time on the water. always fixing something. WHH boats, Bonzi, XXX, Aero marine, is the way to go for around the same investment[8D] i mean look at the flea-bay listings. most of the bj's are cracked or need something[&o] just my experience and two cents worth.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 AM
boatman55

My boats, no matter who made them, never fall apart. Guess I know how to take care of them, maintain them properly, and don't abuse them like a 5 year-old would. Just my 21 years of boating experience, and two cents worth. :-)

Old 09-21-2009, 11:25 AM
magnum57

I looked in your gallery and marina and didn’t see what type of boats your running. My whole point is you need a quality product to start with. The mass produced products have no care or pride built in to them They just want to make the money. . Maintaining a boat is important. You need quality to start with. Most of us are older and respect this large scale hobby and aren’t abusing them like a 5yr old . But when you have a product that is inferior to begin with its hard to enjoy it. I think these types products give the hobby a bad perception and ultimately discourage a beginner and they are so frustrated they give up the hobby. If you start with a quality product you’re going to enjoy it allot more
Old 09-21-2009, 11:26 AM
PEERPSI

Wow.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Scott.b

ORIGINAL: boatman55

unless you have some exotic way of applying a vacuum to the CF inside of the hull itself to give it strength, CF isn't any better than fiberglass. You can always use your own judgment on strengthening the hull, but my opinion is that, unless you have a strong possibility of running over rocks, or you plan on jumping huge (i.e. ocean) waves, the hull is fine for normal use. Stronger never hurts of course, but the hull isn't as weak as many make it out to be. I'd definitely add a layer of epoxy to the areas where any wood contacts the hull, just in case. I definitely agree with Peerpsi's pont about adding strength to the seam where the hulls meet. Very good advice!
Yup,Spoke with my friend and he said the same thing about vacuum.SO I will glass it in as you guys suggested..
Old 09-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Scott.b

ORIGINAL: magnum57

C'mon quit battling a losing battle[X(] get a boat that isn’t built to fall apart. my bj55 and shockwave were by far the most work i ever had to put up with[:@] from everything from the hull to the clutch, pipe, control system and everything else. not allot of time on the water. always fixing something. WHH boats, Bonzi, XXX, Aero marine, is the way to go for around the same investment[8D] i mean look at the flea-bay listings. most of the bj's are cracked or need something[&o] just my experience and two cents worth.
Welp lucky for me i like a good challenge and dont give up easy.Anyone can go out and spend 2k and have it run good,the skill comes in to get the "junk"to run just as well..
Old 09-21-2009, 07:44 PM
magnum57

Ok so you like challenges, so if you buy a bj 55 you must like junk[&o]That way you can prove that junk can run as well as a well made in America with pride and the customer in mind and not just for profit boat[:'(] I have the 2K boats and the same price boats as the bj 55 or shockwave. A 55†Warehouse hobbies boat is less than the piece of crap bj 55 and you can enjoy with out proving your mechanical skills and practice your driving skills[X(] I’m just saying dollar for dollar anything for the exception of the terrible Asian import boats are better than the always broken bj 55[X(]
Old 09-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Dockman

Ok so you like challenges, so if you buy a bj 55 you must like junk[&o]That way you can prove that junk can run as well as a well made in America with pride and the customer in mind and not just for profit boat[:'(] I have the 2K boats and the same price boats as the bj 55 or shockwave. A 55†Warehouse hobbies boat is less than the piece of crap bj 55 and you can enjoy with out proving your mechanical skills and practice your driving skills[X(] I’m just saying dollar for dollar anything for the exception of the terrible Asian import boats are better than the always broken bj 55[X(]
Last time I checked we live in a free world and should be able to buy any boat that we choose without having to take this ****.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:09 PM
PEERPSI

Most people like to use an avatar that describes just who they are. I see Magnum57 decided to follow that precedence.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Scott.b

Ok so you like challenges, so if you buy a bj 55 you must like junk[&o]That way you can prove that junk can run as well as a well made in America with pride and the customer in mind and not just for profit boat[:'(] I have the 2K boats and the same price boats as the bj 55 or shockwave. A 55” Warehouse hobbies boat is less than the piece of crap bj 55 and you can enjoy with out proving your mechanical skills and practice your driving skills[X(] I’m just saying dollar for dollar anything for the exception of the terrible Asian import boats are better than the always broken bj 55[X(]

*Sigh* I guess there's one on every forum.... If you took the time to read my posts instead of jumping in here piss'n in between them you will see I didnt pay retail for the boat.So with the help of some of the veterans here Im sure the boat will be exactly what Im looking for.A little fun in the sun.Its a freakin hobby bud lightin up and enjoy it.You said your 0.2 so lets move on huh??
Old 09-21-2009, 09:09 PM
magnum57

It’s all good I just wanted to ruffle a few feathers about the proboats. I have had miserable experiences and hope people will stay away from poor built garbage that cost me a lot of time and money. Your right enjoy the hobby it’s pretty sweet. I guess my avatar fits me to a tee……..lol
Old 09-21-2009, 09:31 PM
philip clemmons

It’s all good I just wanted to ruffle a few feathers about the proboats. I have had miserable experiences and hope people will stay away from poor built garbage that cost me a lot of time and money. Your right enjoy the hobby it’s pretty sweet. I guess my avatar fits me to a tee……..lol
My BJ55 has gotten twice the run time as my father in laws WHH boat...............always something wrong with it (the WHH). The BJ, while not built like a tank, has been dependable for the most part. Dont get me wrong, I had some issues, but all in all its been a great recreational boat, which is what I bought it for.

That said, I would most likely buy something different next time.........................
Old 09-22-2009, 08:44 AM
magnum57

Well you must be one of the lucky onesThe WHH boats we run have been unbelievable as far as dependability. And your right they are a tank. They handle the chop like no other boat we have ran. The shockwave I bought was a disappointment from the get go[:@] During break in we found the exhaust pipe had a crack, the clutch fell apart, and a servo went south to mention a few problems and that was just while we were breaking it in[:'(] so we thought we just got a lemon and we like the look of the bj 55 and thought we would try that. Well once again big money pit. We definitely have tried to support the proboat line of boats but gave up just too hard to put up with the endless problems[] Nice to hear someone has had good luck with the bj55

HEY DARLA THAT FG YOU SOLD ME STILL RUNS GREAT, THANKS
Old 09-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Scott.b

Can someone tell me what the hull is made out of??I think its Fiber glass but not sure.I need to glue down the engine rails so I want to make sure I get the right stuff.Thanks
Old 09-29-2009, 10:32 PM
PEERPSI

Fibre glass with epoxy resin I beleive.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:13 AM
magnum57

Probably best to stitch the rails in using fiberglass cloth and resin or epoxy.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:21 AM
mannymach1

I tought the hull was made of FRP. Fiber Reinforced Plastic
Old 10-03-2009, 10:44 AM
black talon
My Feedback: (5)

no, fiberglass
Old 10-05-2009, 10:34 AM
magnum57

This pdf file may help.
http://www.nwt.tec.ok.us/~jeffo/docs...c2/module3.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.