Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Avenger 44 rtr.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Avenger 44 rtr.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:00 PM
faster u fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avenger 44 rtr.

Hello all, I'm the new guy here. I am looking into purchasing a new rtr gas boat. I think I have come to the conclusion that I would like the aeromarine avenger 44 rtr. Can anyone give me any feed back on this boat or aeromarine quality. Also I have had a hard time finding any pics of these boats. I would like to see the rigging and inside the hull a little better. Any help would be much appreciated...Thanks in advance.
Chris.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:16 PM
webdr

Default RE: Avenger 44 rtr.

First post, welcome to RCU. Ill start by saying the search function will help you find what you want.

Heres my avenger build thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_67...tm.htm#6726716
Old 05-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Ultimate48
My Feedback: (1)

Welcome to RCU Gas Boats

You can't go wrong with any of Aeromarine's boats.

Keep us posted with your build.

webdr built a very nice Aeromarine Avenger .

Steve
Old 05-12-2008, 06:32 PM
faster u fool

Thanks for the welcome...Webdr your boat is beautiful...and runs great. I went and searched through the forums but was not able to find any info on the RTR avenger...I want to start with an RTR to get on the water and learn while I play...Anyway If any one knows what those rtr boats come with I would greatly appreciate some info. I tried to call aeromarine today but phone was busy all day. I would also like to see pics of the RTR...Thansk again.
Chris.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:51 PM
webdr

buying their boat rtr is a large investment. I would suggest doing research and buying the kit, then installing everything yourself...thats what I did. I had never built a boat before the Avenger and by reading the forums and asking questions, I nailed it. You learn so much more than having it built for you, and you save some $ in the process. But if your not comfortable assembling and painting, buying an Aeromarine in ready-to-run form is a smart move vs buying a crappy rtr gas boat.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:43 PM
faster u fool

Webdr, I was under the impression that going with the rtr boat would be less $$..What do you think it would cost me to build one of these hot rods head to toe? I think and would rather build one myself, but just have that bad feeling of drilling into glass and getting it wrong. I have built several other models just not a boat, infact I keep rebuilding my helis after they tank into the earth...lol. BTW did you get the hull and hardware kit for yours? Then piece it together? Thanks

Chris.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

We all go through the same thing every time that we get a new hull, the first hole drilled is the scariest.
I'd watch for where I bought a RTR version. I know of someone in here who dumped some big bucks (to me anyway) for an Aeromarine boat built and when he got it he knew that someone didn't know what they were doing. This was from an Aeromarine dealer, not Aeromarine themselves.
What's great about building it yourself is that you know how it went together so if you have to you'll know how to take it apart. You also get to pick out all of the parts that you want on it, not what somebody else throws on.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:29 AM
wayneuk01

A newbie not getting a china tug..!!?? .. Thats a great choice the avenger cat will put a smile on your face for sure its a great hull ive one myself [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 05-13-2008, 10:46 AM
faster u fool

Thanks for all of the info...As far as China tugs.....well...I've learned my lesson with my helis...You get started cheap but end up spending tons of $$$ fixing and trying to make it what you want. So for this venture I thought I would start somewhere near the top.
So what do you guys think I might be into $$$ wise to build one of these bad boys. Do I get the hull and hardware kit? Do I buy everything one for one? I don't need a race boat, just a fast cool fun boat to run around the river when we go out. Thanks..
Chris.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Dan S

Chris,
you have the choice of four RTR Avenger 44 version, two of which are the Avenger 44 with a G23 or a Quick draw 25 and

the Avenger Pro 44 with the same two engine choices.

If I was to buy RTR, I would pick the Quick Draw 25 over the G23, but thats me, than again since we don't know what is the HP of the Quick draw and there is a $550 bucks difference in the price, you could get a G23 and I believe for $250 you could get it modified.

Aeromarine make some decent hardware but not everyone likeas them, if you go the other route, you can buy the hull you want, get all your hardware from Speedmaster, get a Radio system of your choice and drop in a Zen260 half or full mod.

Whatever you decide, Aeromarine is a good choice.

Dan
Old 05-13-2008, 01:15 PM
faster u fool

So it sounds like a full build is in order. Can anyone give me a basic price comparison..rtr vs. build. Also does anyone have pics of the rtr boat?
Old 05-13-2008, 03:00 PM
webdr

Its not easy to nail the price of a build, there are alot of little parts that add up.

If I were you I would... (this is what I did)

Buy the hull, radio box, servo mounts for a 1/4 scale servo and a standard, gas tank and tank tray from Aeromarine.

then buy a skegged strut, strut bushing, water outlets, cowl locks, and dual pickup rudder -5" kit, from Top Secret Boats.

Purchase a pair of quick release motor mounts, bellcrank throttle linkage, 2"band pipe, Hansen Pipe Stopper, watercooled flange, and the number 11 header from BH Hansen

Buy a T-Mod cheater muffler

Dont waste your money on a 23cc motor, buy a 26cc to push the hull into the 50s. I use a Toxic Neurotoxin and Im running high 50s. BH Hansen sells a mild mod for a little over 400, and if you buy their engine, he will cut you a deal on the pipe and header, just go to their site and read.

Buy a 6717 3 blade prop from VooDoo props. Stock 410 pitch.

Buy a flex cable, drive dog, a pack of zuber nuts, round flexcable collet, some tygon fuel line, 3 feet of cooling tubing.

Purchase a radio w/ servos of your choice.
Use 4-40 pushrods, nothing smaller.

That is my setup and my Avenger wins races.

Oh yea, I wouldnt bother following the "blueprint" directions that Aeromarine includes. They are just fun to look at. Look at my build thread and youll get the idea. Mount the skeg in the middle of the transom so it touches the seam in the hull, them mount your rudder about an inch and a half over from the strut. Look how I shimmed the strut in my thread as well

Thats pretty much it on supplies/parts except for some building supplies like 30 minute epoxy and paint if you choose to paint it.
Balance the hull at 34% and mount your motor. If you need clarification of that, ask us when you get there.
It all adds up but you will have a boat that YOU built and you wont be taken aback when its time to work on it.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:07 PM
faster u fool

Ok then that gives me a pretty good idea of what I need to price out. I looked some of the stuff up, but don,t know where to find alot of the other hardware. also there are tons of diff cowl locks ect.. any recomendations. Where do you guys get alot of the hardware, drive stuff, like shafts bearings ect. autobailers. Oh and didn't see the quick release motor mounts. We don't have a very good hobby shop here in San Diego for boats. Thanks tons. This should give me some stuff to look up for the next two days while I'm here at the fire station.

Chris..
Old 05-13-2008, 05:46 PM
webdr

ORIGINAL: faster u fool

Ok then that gives me a pretty good idea of what I need to price out. I looked some of the stuff up, but don,t know where to find alot of the other hardware. also there are tons of diff cowl locks ect.. any recomendations. Where do you guys get alot of the hardware, drive stuff, like shafts bearings ect. autobailers. Oh and didn't see the quick release motor mounts. We don't have a very good hobby shop here in San Diego for boats. Thanks tons. This should give me some stuff to look up for the next two days while I'm here at the fire station.

Chris..
Go to the websites and look around. You dont need shaft bearings. Just a bushing and topsecret boats sells them. they are like 8 bucks or something. Also, feel free to call these companies and tell them what you need. They can help. the cowl locks are black rubber o-rings. The aeromarine style ones will damage the cowl so steer clear of them. You dont need autobailers on an avenger, it doesnt take that much water on, just drill two holes at the top left and right on the transom so you can dump any water out after a dunk.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:04 PM
faster u fool

Thanks for the info... I have been looking and making a list...I'm sure I will have tons of questions to come..Infact what type of engine mounts..There seems to be alot of diff ones and I don't know the difference. Thanks again guys..
Chris.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:19 PM
webdr

ORIGINAL: faster u fool

Thanks for the info... I have been looking and making a list...I'm sure I will have tons of questions to come..Infact what type of engine mounts..There seems to be alot of diff ones and I don't know the difference. Thanks again guys..
Chris.
get the only ones that BH Hansen sells. They are "quick release" or "quick removal" mounts. They are called alot of things but the main thing to take form this is that they make it easy to remove the motor.