Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Nitro Build Project INSANITY

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 10:04 PM
pinky_d_brain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Build Project INSANITY

I am a new boater and have a few questions I have bean reading a lot on this site and the people on here are grate full of lots of info and willing to help. I thank you all for that

This is what I am planning I no that the custom stuff makes it difficult to offer advise but I tack what I can get I have not started building the hull yet still working on some miner details with detentions in relation to power.
im designing it on CAD so the changes are simple, making my own plans

The plan

Hull:
-3 point hydro Vary Light balsa wood and varithan with news paper replacing glassing like a paper mushy don’t know if it will work but theirs a first time for everything
- 20” long
- 12” wide
- 3” hi

Motor:
- 0.12 nitro out of a nitro Stamped truck
- Air cooled
- performins pipe
- pull start
- clutch
- mounting sideways

prop:
custom propulsion system own design (propels) don’t worry it works ive tested it.
Also gearing it part of the propulsion system requires it

Ruder:
custom duel ruder in fount (part of hull)

Questions:

1. Is the hull the rite size for the motors power I have bean thinking of scaling it up to a 36” what would you suggest

2. Do I need to do anything to the motor in case of wipe out

3. What do you do to seal your servo arms where they go throw your battery box

I have bean designing this boat over the last 10 years just fiddling with ideas and shapes different stiles and types of boats never had the parts to build. Started to build it out of plastic but have decided to go with wood. I no for a first time boater is probly better to get sum thing a little esear to do but I like a challenge. I no far mount bout wood working and mechanics and im a Structural drafts person (I make blue prints for engineer’s with CAD).
I like to experiment on new things this in tier boat is my design excluding motor and electronics. I live waking distends from 3 lakes including grate slave lake which is one of the biggest in the world but I have 9 months of winter so I get rather board next project is for snow LOL

i uploaded a pic of what the boat shud look like hop it worked

Anyway pleas help me out if you can
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38830.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	351090  
Old 11-08-2005, 10:29 PM
smallfish

Default RE: Nitro Build Project INSANITY

Huh?[]
Old 11-08-2005, 10:55 PM
pinky_d_brain

Sorry if you had problems reading that LOL
Old 11-09-2005, 08:14 PM
pinky_d_brain

I have decided to go with a 30" hull scaling it up by 1.5 this will give me more room to work with and maybe get rid of some of the problems I think im going to have.

I plan on using a tail for prop like a gader or snake would

the motor is a trx-12
.12 cubic inch displacement
performance carburetor
dual ball-bearing crankshaft
ball-bearing clutch
heavy-duty recoil starter
performance pipe
Old 11-10-2005, 11:42 AM
wake77

emm that propulsion system sounds funny like to see that ! that sketch looks kinda like a hydro, these are very hard to set up and get to speed. I know from experiance.. Belive me i tryed it with a scale unlimited hydro..very frustrating

using a engine from a truck/ car don't make the rpm required to make boats go very fast. a marine engine rpm is substantially higher and fuel nitro content (40%+++) is much higher as well as oil content.

I would recomend on starting with a deep vee boat. also going with a gas engine...fuel is way cheaper and play all day without the frustrations of nitro power

C.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:07 PM
CMB RS35

Pinky,

I too am rather intrigued by the propulsion system. In your first post you talk about mounting the engine sideways. Do you mean transversely across the tub? If so the gearing involved to not only take the power through 90 degrees but to also end up with the prop turning in the correct rotation, is going to be highly inefficient. Sapping all the power that little .12 has. It almost sounds like you are trying to take the whole drivetrain from the truck, and after modification transplant it directly in your boat. Of course I may have interpreted it all wrong, but your posts are very difficult to read because of the spelling

With regards to the prop what does this mean "I plan on using a tail for prop like a gader or snake would"? Does this mean instead of using a conventional prop you are using some sort of device that oscillates back and forth to provide propulsion.

Perhaps you could attach a drawing of the propulsion system and the rudder assembly, to give us a better idea of the general arrangement, because at the moment it makes things a bit difficult in not quite knowing what you you are planning.

BTW a buggy/car engine is fine for boat applications providing you can get cooling to it. ie it is not fully enclosed. Just steer away from most aero type engines as these will not give you the rpm or power needed as the timings are usually very mild.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:57 PM
pinky_d_brain

CMB you are correct on the tail it moves back and forth like an eel, you see them in sci-fi moves i just found a way to get it to work

the motor is mounted perpendicular to hull because the drive train is arranged this way. Its like an old steam engine with two arms going to the back of the boat where the wheels would be poured insted of the arms. the arms go bake and forth operating my tail vary simple but hard to explain

pic shows how it works the drive wheel is in the other direction from this sketch

sorry bout the spelling i suck [] LOL i spell checked it like 3 times

Name:	Yv65970.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	351919  
Old 11-11-2005, 02:28 PM
CMB RS35

Don't worry about the spelling[8D]

Well I have to say it's different, but I am all for a bit of lateral thinking.
I look forward to seeing this project when you start to build it, especially when it comes to actually running it.
I think a 30" hull may be to large for the motor, but I am basing that on a conventional prop driven boat. I suppose that you could always increase the size of motor at a later date. Do you have an idea of what sort of performance you are aiming to get?

Well good luck and keep us posted
Old 11-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

In the world of full size boats, it's called sculling to use a single stern mounted oar for driving a boat. That being said, I have some recommendations:
1. go with a 30"(+) deep vee or jon boat type hull
2. be sure to have a beam of at least 1/3rd the length of the hull
3. due to the back and forth nature of your planned drive system, go with a higher freeboard than what you are planning in the hydro hull.
Good luck, it sounds like and interesting project
Old 11-14-2005, 12:10 AM
pinky_d_brain

thanks for the tips

im staying with the 30" hull i have for now i dont mind that the hydro may be hard to set up or maybe not even work this is more like a prototype of build. I agree with the v tipe hull being a lot easier to start with but i plan on having lots of problems to fix more fun that way and i never give up.

any idea what a hydro will wiegh with no hardware and how fast it would be with a .21 just so i have something to go by

i wont be racing theres no one out here so i dont really care what is does but i prefer fast
Old 11-16-2005, 06:19 PM
pinky_d_brain

Waiting on funds for me boat hop to start building by next weak

Just a question but if you where building a foam boat what do you protect the foam with most paints and resin eat it away like acid?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:51 PM
pinky_d_brain

Well I got some materials and I’m pretty much dun the plans for it so I think I may be working on it to night.Changed some of the detentions, making it a bit smaller 30" was riley big lol also have some new ideas for it figured id just give u an update
Old 12-13-2005, 12:17 PM
pinky_d_brain

Sorry don’t have anything for you to see yet its hard to build with a 10 month old sun round don’t want him getting in to things and he riley wants to help LOL RC man in the making
Old 12-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's my .12 sized 'rigger, the tub length is just under 24" so that it could be cut in my sisters Laser cutter.

Name:	If10728.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	369494  
Old 12-14-2005, 12:15 AM
pinky_d_brain

Nice boat that type of hull is what I based my designed off of sorta started as a cat. I scaled my boat down some its still 5” across in the middle so the motor will fit. Plan to make the motor mounts adjustable so I can move it back and forth along the boat so I don’t have to worry if I get it in the rite place the first time I can shift the Wight around some. Is that motor air cooled farly shere it is dus the motor get real hot if you cover the bottom half well vented of cores? I’m putting a duel ruder in the front on your boat they would be one on each yellow section custom built I’m thinking I may need a stationary ruder at the back so my tail will work properly will find out I gees
Old 01-11-2006, 04:09 PM
pinky_d_brain

Sorry still no build pics its been riley slow don't want to start building in the kitchen girl fend kill me lol but she did by me a band saw for Xmas so its all good lol. Just getting the pieces drawn on the wood ready for cutting don’t want to cut them tell I’m ready to put it to gather so they don’t warp on me. Wont be long when I start cutting and put the pieces to gather its way to addicting to stop in the middle of that think I almost like it more then running whatever I build