Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Update: Scale Hydroplane Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Update: Scale Hydroplane Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Update: Scale Hydroplane Build Thread

Did you pay him through PayPal or send a check/money order? I know he was swamped a while back, so you might need to send him a reminder message or give him a call
Old 12-04-2006, 03:45 AM
Hydro Junkie

For those of you who have "honey do" lists, do any of you have anything like this to deal with? The "Boss" couldn't have anything simple or ordinary, if you know what I mean
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14037.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	571462  
Old 12-04-2006, 03:13 PM
tt-r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

For those of you who have "honey do" lists, do any of you have anything like this to deal with? The "Boss" couldn't have anything simple or ordinary, if you know what I mean
Nice job man. I see whats taking your time
Old 12-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Hydro Junkie

It wouldn't be so bad if it was small, but this thing is 16' long, 12' wide and is about 18' tall to the peak(15' from floor to peak). I'll just be glad when I get the doors in and the roof finished. In the picture, the roof is covered with plastic(in an attempt to keep the inside dry during the November rain and snow)under about 6" of snow. by the time it's completed, it will be insulated, have sheetrocked ceilings with pegboarded walls, not to mention lighting. I could almost live in the thing.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:29 PM
saleens7

I could almost live in the thing.
or maybe build or store your boats there
Old 12-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Hydro Junkie

Can't build out there due to lack of heat and amperage, but it will clean out my garage so that I can get to my power tools. Besides, once she starts to move what she wants in there, I'll be lucky to get anything in there. As it is, I've already been told my bike has to hang from the ceiling or stay in the garage[&o]
Old 12-05-2006, 04:25 PM
tt-r

I'm glad i dont have a garden, only a terrace with no room for the better half to want one of those
She's more than good enough finding things i need to do in the apartment.

Im not sure when im going to get time started on the hydrobuilding as im building a new rigger and a zenoah-boat for next race season......But im going to find the time sooner or later!
Old 12-05-2006, 07:32 PM
007clint

Is there a reason the door looks like a hydro tail fin? Maybe you were thinking about the hydros when you got to that point?
Old 12-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Hydro Junkie

007clint, I wish I had thought of that, but unfortunately that's not the case. To make a long story very short, that is the left over piece from the upper right part of the front wall. I needed a filler piece above the door as well as a way to align the panel to the right side of the door. The only reason it hasn't been cut out to open up the whole door is due to approx 30 days of rain and snow in the Seattle area . By leaving the openning small, less rain got in that way, though it didn't stop some water from getting past the plastic sheets on the roof.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish my wife would insist on a remote shed. Working in my nice warm, well lite, convenient and dry basement is really a drag. If I had a shed I could put heat and power in there and build and paint without complaints about the smell of epoxy paint and dope (for my airplanes). The only disadvantage would be running out there on some January morning in slippers and a robe to check on a clamped up structure that I set up the night before. Did you ever try to run in snow with slippers on? That's why they call them slippers.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I think that mine would or at least a nice 1-1/2 car garage! I've heard "ARE YOU PAINTING DOWN THERE AGAIN?" a lot.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Hydro Junkie

I haven't heard that one yet, though I bet I will later this winter when I do start applying the PPG to the first of my many boats. then I'll probably get the "why can't you do that somewhere else?" routine
Old 12-07-2006, 08:35 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

It wouldn't be so bad if it was small, but this thing is 16' long, 12' wide and is about 18' tall to the peak(15' from floor to peak).
I've been drawing up plans for one that will be exactly the same size. Same goal too, get some stuff out of the garage so I have more work space.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Hydro Junkie

I don't know what the building codes are in NC, but up here in the wet and rainy Snohomish County WA, I can go up to 200 square feet without needing a building permit unless it's plumbed or hard wired. This thing won't have any plumbing and is getting wired with a power inlet so I can plug it in with an extension cord. It's really sad that I would have to cough up $500+ just to hardwire the thing or go any bigger. Just to stay legal, I have to build a separate porch instead of having it as part of the frame work.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:16 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

The neighborhood covenants allow up to 200 sq ft without architectural review board approval. Yup, I'm in one of those kinds of neighborhoods! Unfortunately, the county says a building permit is required for anything with a wall that's longer than 12 feet. I'm stalled deciding whether to downsize or go the permit route. Since this will strictly be for storage of lawn/garden tools, etc, I'm not planning on wiring or plumbing. I've already got 3 20 amp circuits in the garage, including one that's wired for 220, so the workshop can stay there. But anyway, this thread's about scale hydro builds, not storage sheds...
Old 12-07-2006, 11:52 PM
toyotatruckin

Im wondering how the shed does on water because thats the funniest looking hydro I have ever seen!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:05 AM
Hydro Junkie

It would float, but how well is the question
I know what you mean chuck. When I made the post about the barn, I figured it was just to show why I haven't been abole to really start the other thread. I never excpected to see it take on a life of its own