Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Supercharger for OS .21 outboard?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Supercharger for OS .21 outboard?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 10:55 AM
TS2 Of Miami

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger for OS .21 outboard?

I'm running an OS .21 outboard on my TS2. Does anybody know of a company that makes a supercharger for the OS? Ive seen one on a K&B outboard but not for the OS.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:17 PM
wave waker

Default RE: Supercharger for OS .21 outboard?

have u tried RBINNOVATIONS.COM? maybe u can get a lead from them..it will be great for the sake of art of doin this....
Old 12-31-2006, 01:35 PM
TS2 Of Miami

I've tried RB, they dont stock one. I've sent them a custom order, but yet to here from them. Thanks for the input tho.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:22 PM
misshydro

I disagree with that!! How bad do you love your motor?If you dont have a heaver rod forged pistion or crank,say good by to your motor!!!It's the same princeable as a real cars motors.They have to have hp/heavy duty con rod,forged pistion.and forged crank! Supper chargers/blower forces air in the motor=jamin the air in quicky=more hp!But your putting more streese on the rods pistion and crank by putting a blower on it!! I was asking the same question to Ron Olson.He'd told me that a friend of his put a blower on a 7.5 on a mono and the motor sneased the parts out of the bottom of his motor and the parts are some where in a pond in MI.You better off getting a more powerfull motor then wasting your money on a blower,plus your saving on your boat weight too![>:]
Old 12-31-2006, 02:37 PM
TS2 Of Miami

Well according to RB, the supercharger does not put out enough boost to effect engine internals as if you were putting a blower on a normal engine(car). I am tho going to contact OS and see if applying a supercharger effects warranty.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:57 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

WHY.....superchargers on a 2 stroke piston port engine will just push some of the intake charge out, as in the help is negligable, or may even impead horsepower as it adds wieght and robs power to drive it, before that think of a pipe, if a tuned pipe isnt enough try getting a better engine to bolt onto your lower unit...if it really worked top racers all over would run them, where in realitly no good racers(or any racers) seem to have them...
Old 12-31-2006, 04:59 PM
LES301M

Is this a two stroke OS you are looking at supercharging? I Ask, because to my understanding, A well configured tuned pipe has the effect of adding 6 to 9 P.S.I. to the combustion chamber just as the exhaust port is closing. Engine guys, feel free to correct me here please!
If that is the case, How much (additional) boost do you think you could add before the engine turned into a small grenade?
A tuned pipe is mechanically simple, and I would guess way less weight, So my opinion would be to optimize the pipe first.
Any other thoughts?

I know OS has offered a roots type supercharger on some of their 120 4-stroke aircraft engines, and my Y.S. .53 uses a rotary valve and the piston to add 3 P.S.I. on the intake side. I have not seen a roots, turbocharger, or other boost method on a RC 2-stroke. Again, if any engine guru type are reading, Please post. - I'd like to study what has been tried.
L
Old 12-31-2006, 05:03 PM
LES301M

Hey Vertical, Ya must have been sending while I was typing!
Old 12-31-2006, 06:51 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: TS2 Of Miami
I am tho going to contact OS and see if applying a supercharger effects warranty.
What warranty? You're on your own with this and several other OS marine engines, no warranty...
Old 01-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Catch me if you can!
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you! 100%
ORIGINAL: LES301M

Is this a two stroke OS you are looking at supercharging? I Ask, because to my understanding, A well configured tuned pipe has the effect of adding 6 to 9 P.S.I. to the combustion chamber just as the exhaust port is closing. Engine guys, feel free to correct me here please!
If that is the case, How much (additional) boost do you think you could add before the engine turned into a small grenade?
A tuned pipe is mechanically simple, and I would guess way less weight, So my opinion would be to optimize the pipe first.
Any other thoughts?

I know OS has offered a roots type supercharger on some of their 120 4-stroke aircraft engines, and my Y.S. .53 uses a rotary valve and the piston to add 3 P.S.I. on the intake side. I have not seen a roots, turbocharger, or other boost method on a RC 2-stroke. Again, if any engine guru type are reading, Please post. - I'd like to study what has been tried.
L
Old 01-05-2007, 09:23 PM
BB Modss

Since i have a nitro engine dyno ill tell you guys what, ill buy a new OS .21 2stroke, break it in, then run a baseline pull, add the best tuned pipe combo and run the test again, after that ill put the old pipe on and put the supercharger on, then once more with the best suited tuned pipe, ill record head temp with a K probe in a DT-200.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:38 PM
LES301M

BB Modss,
Thanks, that will be helpful.
Where did you get the supercharger for the OS ? can you post a link, or post some pictures please? I would like to see it!
L
Old 01-05-2007, 11:19 PM
misshydro

Well your setteling with a suppercharger.Well dont be crying when your motor blows up like a small boom and it might sink your boat/trash it in the prosses!![>:]
Old 01-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

We've done threads like this to death before, almost as often as "Why don't boats need air filters?" and was recently discussed in the gas boat forum.
What little HP and RPM you might gain isn't worth the cost of trying this. If you've ever seen a Dyno read-out of a before and after trying a blower on any engine, you're better off by spending the money on the usual hop-ups. A tuned pipe and a little porting work will yield better results.
The additional weight on the transom isn't going to help either as the boat will have to have weight added to the nose to balance it back out.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:09 AM
BB Modss

Ron to save myself some cash on testing can you show me a dyno chart of a supercharged 2 stroke? in the .21 ~ .28 range. Im interested in seeing the gain's and losses across the rpm range, also iv had 1 of the RB superchargers here in my little shop and its feather light..so weight wouldn't really be a issue, but if the gains are so small then there would be the issue of spending almost $200 on something that gives you .1 hp while taking a loss on lowered, it just wouldn't be worth it.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Ron Olson

There should be one on the RB Innovations site. I remember seeing it there or in a magazine ad.
a LHS has a blower that runs off its own electric motor and it must be somehow controlled by a sensor or off the receiver to vary its speed to the engine. I have no idea who makes that one.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:36 PM
sleepy306

I've always thought of a supercharger, but it never seemed to make sense logically in a 2 stroke because how can you increase compression if you are pumping in from the intake, while the exhaust is not yet closed??? In a 4 stroke, it makes sense since there is a period of time when the exhaust valve is closed and the intake valve open to increase pressure.
The tuned pipe makes more sense since you can increase pressure by pumping back through the open exhaust port while the intake ports are closed, thus increasing compression.

Am I thinking right? The exhaust port closes after the intake ports, right??? If so, how can you increase compression unless you have a supercharger that blows towards the backway only during the period when the intake is closed or covered by the piston.

Right???

This post is just to understand the concept of a 2 stroke engine. Hell, if a supercharger can increase compression, then I'll consider buying one too.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:14 PM
LES301M

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

We've done threads like this to death before, almost as often as "Why don't boats need air filters?" and was recently discussed in the gas boat forum.
What little HP and RPM you might gain isn't worth the cost of trying this. If you've ever seen a Dyno read-out of a before and after trying a blower on any engine, you're better off by spending the money on the usual hop-ups. A tuned pipe and a little porting work will yield better results.
The additional weight on the transom isn't going to help either as the boat will have to have weight added to the nose to balance it back out.
Be Carefull, Sleepy,
We are boring the heck of of the moderators!
I had the same impression when I first found this post. Still have the same impression, But I failed to read in detail the other 302,204 members opinions on super charging a 2 stroke!
Have fun...
L
Old 01-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Ron Olson

I figure it this way, it it would have really worked, it would have been done years ago and we'd all be owning supercharged or turbo'ed nitrous oxide boosted boats.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:10 PM
sleepy306

I don't mean to bore people or cause waves, but I do like to learn new things. If there something new, I like to question it to find out if it works...that's all.

Sorry Ron
Old 01-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Ron Olson

No problem at all.
Tuned pipes have their own supercharging effect as if you look at the RB site, they show that clearly in there.
What they don't seem to tell you is that fuel mileage goes out the window with their blower as you have to richen the carb to compensate for what it blows through the combustion chamber.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:15 PM
bwrk3

ONLY supercharging IF YOU PUT N.O.S.