Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Central NEW YORK boaters

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Central NEW YORK boaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:19 AM
advanced builder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

Lets see how she looks after lunch. We race in the rain, we can test in the rain. Just a slight drizzle right now.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:16 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

Lets see how she looks after lunch. We race in the rain, we can test in the rain. Just a slight drizzle right now.
O.K. It did stop raining here in East Rochester, and it sounds like it's suppose to clear up a little.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Blackout

Here is a video of Roger's Sport 40....

http://www.youtube.com/user/blackout.../0/9hKViSFh7Kk

I have more video that I will upload later.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Blackout

Bob's tunnel.... Excuse the fact that the video is unedited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jG8xFfLQcs
Old 09-16-2011, 02:31 AM
Blackout

Bob's .18 rigger...

http://www.youtube.com/user/blackoutcm?feature=mhee
Old 09-16-2011, 05:29 AM
Blackout

We will have a test and tune this Sunday starting at 10:00 am.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:27 PM
HeliDrop

Hey guys, my name is Eric. I had a few old boats left to me and I've been putting them together. Roger has been giving me a hand and led me to this site. Do you mind if I stop down Sunday morning? Something goes wrong for me every time I go out so it'd be nice to be around a few people that have a clue as to whats going on.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: HeliDrop

Hey guys, my name is Eric. I had a few old boats left to me and I've been putting them together. Roger has been giving me a hand and led me to this site. Do you mind if I stop down Sunday morning? Something goes wrong for me every time I go out so it'd be nice to be around a few people that have a clue as to whats going on.
That would be fine.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:48 PM
advanced builder

The driveway is in the middle of the field. Be-careful and stay on the trail as their are a few ruts and a ditch which is hard to see.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:12 PM
advanced builder

I am not able to make the Sunday run. See you next week.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Blackout

Neil, o.k., we will miss you.

Eric, if you need to call me, my cell is 585-350-9853.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:12 AM
HeliDrop

Thanks for yesterday guys. 

I pulled my needle out last night and found a few pieces of crap in there. I pulled the tanks out after that and realized how poorly I had cleaned them when I initially put it together. I'm going to mess around with them tonight and if I can't get them sparkling clean I'm just going to buy new tanks. I'll worry about the turn fin after that. 

Once I get it back in the water I have to figure out how to LET OFF THE THROTTLE and how to turn around buoys not into shore! 
Old 09-19-2011, 08:50 AM
tomstoys2
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Guys,
My name is Tom, live in Macedon and I just stumbled on this thread by accident. I use to be into nitro and some gas boat but since I had kids I have converted many to electric. I'm not sure how you guys feel about FE but I would like to come out and see you guys run some weekend. I had heard about your pond in Canadagua from the guys at Dan's but hadn't been able to get in on Tues. night to talk boats. Most of the boats I have run in the upper 30's with a few in the 40's. I run most of my boats in the 1000 Islands and usually just sport running with my kids. The only Nitro I have left is a Lap CatII with a K&B 7.5 outboard. I plan on converting that to FE soon. I converted my MRP Bud-Light last year. Quick video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwgg-nPQvuY

The only Gasser I have left is a 56" AeroM with a 32cc Kawasaki built by some guy named Green in the MA/RI area about 17 years ago.

My AeroM Fountain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is0NcO9hlqw

Great reading on this thread.

Tom
Old 09-19-2011, 10:14 AM
engineman351

Tom,

Welcome to the group. We are not FE-phobic!! As a matter of fact we had an FE running this past Sunday. We tend to adjust running our boats to the speed and handling of the boats that want to run. If they are big and fast we might only run a couple or one at a time. If they are smaller, like .21 Tunnels, we have run four at a time. A couple of weeks ago I brought a Lap Cat III with a piped .67 K&B. After the guy's saw how it was twisting out of shape coming out of the corners, the small stuff came into shore! (LOL)

We could all use some education on RC FE boating. Every time I have put one together it has fried something or caught fire! I race RC cars every week, but when I put electric stuff in a boat I am never sure how to fit what power to the hull. There seem to be so many choices on FE Motors that it is mind boggling!!! The racers at the boat club in Elmira have opened the door to FE to run right in with the nitro stuff (They run P-Mono and P-Hydro (4S stuff) right in with the .21 powered nitro's...and they usually win because they finish just about every heat).

FYI...I do work at Dan's (Tuesday nights) if you need to ask something about boat hardware/fittings.

I look forward to meeting you at Stony Pond. Roger C
Old 09-19-2011, 11:01 AM
tomstoys2

Hi Roger,
I look forward to meeting everyone. It's going to be a few weeks till I have a free weekend. I'll try and stop into Dan's one of these Tues. I keep drooling over that yellow gas Cat that's for sale! I'm still learning the FE equation with what works and what will go poof! I met Walt Blaze over the summer and in Buffalo at the club pond near UB. He said he took is Motly Crew boat to Elmira and ran in the nitro class. That is a pretty sweet boat.

Where and what do you race with cars? I have a bunch of on and off road electrics I would love to try on a track.
Tom
Old 09-19-2011, 11:46 AM
engineman351

Tom,

Walt runs his FE in Elmira too. Very quick hulls!!

I am mostly an 'oval' racer and run a single cell LiPo, 17.5 brushless, NASCAR Sportsman truck with the Monroe County Radio Control Car Club of Monroe County.

We race at East Ridge Raceway, 880 Ridge Rd. East...right below the Blockbuster store in a small plaza. The raceway has a carpet Oval track that aslo coverts to On Road for touring car and a separate carpet Off Road track (with jumps and bumps). We are about to kick off a new season Oct 1st. We have a Club business meeting scheduled at the track this Wed at 6:30pm if you want to learn more.

Normally the racing schedule is:
Monday night: Off Road (Stampedes, Slashes, Buggy's, Stadium Trucks) and On Road (4wd Touring Cars
Wednesday night: Oval (Pan Cars: Sportsman Truck 17.5, Stock 17.5, Pro Stock 13.5. Tough Truck: Stampedes set up for oval )
Saturday afternoon/night: Oval (Pan Cars: Sportsman Truck 17.5, Stock 17.5, Pro Stock 13.5)
Plus some special Sunday events throughout the season.

Roger C.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: HeliDrop

Thanks for yesterday guys.

I pulled my needle out last night and found a few pieces of crap in there. I pulled the tanks out after that and realized how poorly I had cleaned them when I initially put it together. I'm going to mess around with them tonight and if I can't get them sparkling clean I'm just going to buy new tanks. I'll worry about the turn fin after that.

Once I get it back in the water I have to figure out how to LET OFF THE THROTTLE and how to turn around buoys not into shore!
Eric, it was nice meeting you and Ken. It sounds like your rigger should be running real good once you clean your fuel system out. Once you get a few laps around the island you will feel more comfortable about it. The water level is about 8" - 10" low now and I hope to raise it another 3" next spring, so the island will slowly disappear. Along with me slowly digging away at it.... Last year at this time we had enough rain to bring the pond level back up, but this year Canandaigua has missed the big rain falls...

Old 09-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: tomstoys2

Hey Guys,
My name is Tom, live in Macedon and I just stumbled on this thread by accident. I use to be into nitro and some gas boat but since I had kids I have converted many to electric. I'm not sure how you guys feel about FE but I would like to come out and see you guys run some weekend. I had heard about your pond in Canadagua from the guys at Dan's but hadn't been able to get in on Tues. night to talk boats. Most of the boats I have run in the upper 30's with a few in the 40's. I run most of my boats in the 1000 Islands and usually just sport running with my kids. The only Nitro I have left is a Lap CatII with a K&B 7.5 outboard. I plan on converting that to FE soon. I converted my MRP Bud-Light last year. Quick video:

The only Gasser I have left is a 56'' AeroM with a 32cc Kawasaki built by some guy named Green in the MA/RI area about 17 years ago.

My AeroM Fountain:

Tom
FE is just fine. The RTR brushless electric motors run well with the .20 nitro boats, but the expensive motors can be way faster. We had a guy run a super fast FE mono in .20 mono down in Elmira and it was clearly unfair for the other boats.... It is amazing what an electric motor can do.

You are more than welcome to run with us.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:01 PM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Blackout

Hey Guys,

The only Gasser I have left is a 56'' AeroM with a 32cc Kawasaki built by some guy named Green in the MA/RI area about 17 years ago.

My AeroM Fountain:

Tom
FE is just fine. The RTR brushless electric motors run well with the .20 nitro boats, but the expensive motors can be way faster. We had a guy run a super fast FE mono in .20 mono down in Elmira and it was clearly unfair for the other boats.... It is amazing what an electric motor can do.

I;m trying to set up a FE hull but my experience is in nitro . I met Walt that weekend he ran in Elmira. His hull won a heat right out of the box. Pretty decent hull. I have the same motor and speed controller that's inside his hull. Mine is going into a mahogany thunderboat. A Dumas Hull Miss Unlimited. a .21 nitro size hull.
PS you clean fuel tanks with rubbing alcohol
Old 09-20-2011, 08:11 AM
tomstoys2

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Blackout

Hey Guys,

My AeroM Fountain:

Tom

I;m trying to set up a FE hull but my experience is in nitro . I met Walt that weekend he ran in Elmira. His hull won a heat right out of the box. Pretty decent hull. I have the same motor and speed controller that's inside his hull. Mine is going into a mahogany thunderboat. A Dumas Hull Miss Unlimited. a .21 nitro size hull.
PS you clean fuel tanks with rubbing alcohol

I saw your thunderboat in one of the earlier posts. Look beautiful! It's going to be really nice with that motor/esc set up. Should run fast and to scale. Feel free to hit me up with any questions. I look forward to seeing it.
Tom
Old 09-20-2011, 12:55 PM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: engineman351

Tom,

Walt runs his FE in Elmira too. Very quick hulls!!

I am mostly an 'oval' racer and run a single cell LiPo, 17.5 brushless, NASCAR Sportsman truck with the Monroe County Radio Control Car Club of Monroe County.

We race at East Ridge Raceway, 880 Ridge Rd. East...right below the Blockbuster store in a small plaza. The raceway has a carpet Oval track that aslo coverts to On Road for touring car and a separate carpet Off Road track (with jumps and bumps). We are about to kick off a new season Oct 1st. We have a Club business meeting scheduled at the track this Wed at 6:30pm if you want to learn more.

Normally the racing schedule is:
Monday night: Off Road (Stampedes, Slashes, Buggy's, Stadium Trucks) and On Road (4wd Touring Cars
Wednesday night: Oval (Pan Cars: Sportsman Truck 17.5, Stock 17.5, Pro Stock 13.5. Tough Truck: Stampedes set up for oval )
Saturday afternoon/night: Oval (Pan Cars: Sportsman Truck 17.5, Stock 17.5, Pro Stock 13.5)
Plus some special Sunday events throughout the season.

Roger C.
I've seen some of your buddy's come to Futon and cleaned house. Very good drivers. Very fast also
Old 09-21-2011, 05:01 AM
Strecker25

Hey guys...so im FINALLY almost done with the Miller. Got the motor running yesterday on the bench, flex drive is smooth, props almost sharpened, radio gear is in and sealed. last thing I have to do is plumb the water outlet and secure mount the pipe.

How late in the year do you guys typically run at Stoney Pond? I definitely need to be on an enclosed body of water with easy means for retrieval the first time this thing hits the water, so I'd prefer to get down there.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:24 AM
advanced builder

Strecker25 We run late into the season. Until we get hard water. How's the rudder servo attached. gotta be solid. And the linkage 440 and reinforced 1/2 way thew that last stringer. We don't want that long rudder linkage , to bend or flex.
tomstoys2 that last video was a good one. I love the 1000 islands
Old 09-21-2011, 05:47 AM
Strecker25

its a really large pushrod, its actually a piece from a dumas donzi kit normally used to make the ladders. the rudder is also on the left, so its pulling and not pushing.

I was also thinking of putting a brass tube for it to run through, but im not sure its necessary.

edit: just out of curiosity i looked at the servo arm connector and it is a 4-40, I had to slightly grind the pushrod to fit it, so its even larger than that.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 AM
advanced builder

Looks like your ready.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.