Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Central NEW YORK boaters

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Central NEW YORK boaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 06:09 AM
Strecker25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

it may not plane out...but it sure will turn
Old 09-21-2011, 06:12 AM
Billk44

You will be fine with that setup. My Whiplashes run long pushrods, but they are pulling. Anyway you don't want to give the hydros too left or trouble at speed.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:20 AM
advanced builder

I have some spare pipes and props. let us know when your coming. My Miller is still in wood stage. no paint. I will get my Atlas Van Line ready for next year. The only place they still race them hulls is London Ont. And a few other states. Mine is a shelf Queen.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Strecker25

Hopefully ill be ready in 2 weeks, im out of town this weekend.

Its too bad the 1/8 scale class has all but died.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Canadian LoCo

Hello Neil hope all is good at your end.

just to let you know that we did race the 1/8 scale at our
Sept... race.
got to love them scale boats.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:33 AM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Canadian LoCo

Hello Neil hope all is good at your end.

just to let you know that we did race the 1/8 scale at our
Sept... race.
got to love them scale boats.
Yes they are fun to watch. The reason is many man Hrs to build. If you get in a accident early on, your hull is down for the season. And they are a kit old school kit. Newer sponsons design, hull style. All have changed ,not Dumas.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Strecker25

what kind of top speed / lap times are the competitive 1/8 scales getting nowadays?
Old 09-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

That is a very good question and, because of many variables, has no single correct answer. The driver's style of driving has an affect, but there is more to look at than just that.
The boats have the following inherent to themselves as variables:
weight-affects how fast the boat can accellerate
hull type-is the boat a round nose, pickle or blow hole. Each has different aerodynamic and hydrodynamic profiles that must be addressed
set up-this includes balance, fuel, engine and pipe, prop type and depth as well as rudder and skid fin placement
The course has the following variables:
corner radius-it's harder for a scale to maintain top speeds with a smaller corner than a larger one
straight length-a longer straight gives more distance for the boat to accellerate than a short one will

I know this is a very simplified way of looking at all the variables as I know there are more that can be addressed. For answering this question, however, this is plenty. Now, getting to an answer, I've seen one boat run close to 70MPH. This boat, an 8255 hull, was built for record runs and was a whopping 8 POUNDS RTR. I've seen Thrifty Too's and a 60 powered Coral Reef that were literal rockets on the straights but couldnt' turn at speed due to the length to width ratio, they were so narrow they tended to barrel role in the corners. With the boats racing in the Northwest, we normally see speeds in the lower to mid 50s. This is partially due to the smaller courses we run on as many of our sites are fairly small and restrict either the course width or length. The average boat also weighs in at an average of 15 pounds so they are slower off the corners and at the start than the 8 pounder.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Strecker25

Great info, and really interesting. Its also amazing how much it really takes to pull an extra few mph hour of a boat, as opposed to doing it on the pavement
Old 09-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Hydro Junkie

What is bad is I just barely touched on some of what's involved while some of the "experts" think it's all engine/pipe/prop and maybe a little in the balance. In their opinions, mod the engine and you will have a fast boat, while weight, balance and overall set up are all nonfactors, rather than being important as well.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:10 AM
engineman351

Thursday night running...Guys, I will most likely not make it out to Stony Pond tonight (bummer!!). I am leaving for New Hampshire in the AM and need to get some errands done tonight.

FYI...I put the damaged VS-1 tunnel on the bench and really dug into the motor mount assy issue. I would say the I paid $125 for the hull new, and it was really worth about $50!! While the wood cut and design is very good, the gluing and assembly is typical Far East!! The gluing around the mount uprights, was for the most part, non-existent. This allowed water and fuel residue to enter the center cavity, rotting the wood in just one season. I think I may have just enough good wood left on the center section to epoxy it back together. After I get the structure re-set I will 'glass' the uprights and bottom support to the center section with 2oz cloth, as well run a bead of epoxy along the sponsons to help keep water out. I estimate about 8-10 hours of hobby time to piece it back together. Roger C.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:17 AM
advanced builder

Is anyone running? or this weekend ? I have my EVee to test.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:54 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: engineman351

Thursday night running...Guys, I will most likely not make it out to Stony Pond tonight (bummer!!). I am leaving for New Hampshire in the AM and need to get some errands done tonight.

FYI...I put the damaged VS-1 tunnel on the bench and really dug into the motor mount assy issue. I would say the I paid $125 for the hull new, and it was really worth about $50!! While the wood cut and design is very good, the gluing and assembly is typical Far East!! The gluing around the mount uprights, was for the most part, non-existent. This allowed water and fuel residue to enter the center cavity, rotting the wood in just one season. I think I may have just enough good wood left on the center section to epoxy it back together. After I get the structure re-set I will 'glass' the uprights and bottom support to the center section with 2oz cloth, as well run a bead of epoxy along the sponsons to help keep water out. I estimate about 8-10 hours of hobby time to piece it back together. Roger C.
Day light is short this time of year anyways. Unless I take off work early, there is only one hour of run time this time of year. Glad you're fixing the VS1, you had that boat running good. Make it a winter project.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:03 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

Is anyone running? or this weekend ? I have my EVee to test.
Neil, I can do either Saturday or Sunday. Just let me know what works best for you.

We have an Elmira race coming up on Oct. 1st. Who is going and what are you racing??? I'll be racing 20 mod tunnel and 20 hydro again.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Hydro Junkie

And people wonder why I refuse to buy any of the premade boats. Roger, your experience, along with that of others has me staying with wood hulls that I build myself. I just don't trust that any of the ARTRs or RTRs are worth the prices they are charging. After seeing the way some of the ARF planes were built, there is no way I would buy any of the hulls coming from China or Taiwan as the quality just isn't there. Oh well, off the the garage to work on engine mounts
Old 09-22-2011, 10:53 AM
engineman351

Craig, I am not sure I can make Saturday at Elmira for the Oct race. If I do, I will only bring two gassers, Thunderboat and Mono. I will only be able to run two heats (and miss the banquet) as I have an evening committment in Penn Yan on Saturday night. I am also planning to show up Sunday AM for the donation and raffle. RAC
Old 09-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Joe Petro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can be there on Sunday. I have 4 boats to test...

Joe
Old 09-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Joe Petro

I can be there on Sunday. I have 4 boats to test...

Joe
Sunday sounds good. The weather looks to be much better on Sunday.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:33 AM
advanced builder

I'm in as well I have 3 hulls to test. My EV , .67 cat &.21cat. I waiting on the inner coupler .187 I still use the old K&B coupler. the inner piece keeps going bad after a few seasons. My .21 rigger is badly damaged but savable. I think My .21 NR is also done. I'll take my CMB and swap. My new{old} Gas Aeromarine Vee is all most done. I used a Zippkit radio box to replace the damaged one. All batteries are charged.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:57 AM
Billk44

Neil,
I am bringing my NIB Nova 35 Plus to the next race. It comes with collet, header and a really nice new Frank Orlic carb. Was going to run it in the JAE21 I have but I am out of nitro. It will scream in the JAE.
Bill
Old 09-23-2011, 06:31 AM
advanced builder

I thought that engine was long gone. Bill I had the same engine. I almost got 2 yrs on that engine.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Billk44

Neil,
So, how did you kill that engine? Two years is a very short life for the NR's.
Bill
Old 09-23-2011, 09:36 AM
advanced builder

Bill I had a bearing go. It blew out a piece of the case. The case was JB Weld, but the piston is badly marred up. the sleeve is OK The rod is on the way out too. I do have a Picco & OPS to use. We will talk next weekend. I have already committed to Sue's Vee.67 hull. Let me see what I can come up with.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Billk44

Don't worry about it bro. I will work with you. Do me a favor: run the engines on the rich side. ALL my nitro boats had 3rd channel needles to adjust mixture once the setting was close. If you run 55% or higher and happen to be too lean, the bearing are toast.
Bill
Old 09-24-2011, 05:22 AM
advanced builder

OK Will do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.